EB Tone Squad

Thread: NGD: Dustin Kensrue StringRay

User Info Menu

NGD: Dustin Kensrue StringRay

I am honestly still in a bit of shock that I now own this guitar. I remember seeing the MM/Dustin video a few years ago and being blown away by it. I am a huge Thrice fan, but I've haven't/wouldn't buy a signature just because of an artist I like... I would have to the love the guitar first and foremost.

I've never actually played an EBMM guitar before. Unless I've been blind, they just haven't really been on my radar. It wasn't until I started looking at this guitar that I've gone down the rabbit hole!

Being in the upteenth lockdown in Australia, I decided it was time to make this happen and bring some 'joy' to my world. I sold a Fender Jaguar I had since 2011 that was precious to me but rarely played and found a way to pay for it.
    Now it's in my hands, I am honestly lost for words. The neck, the finish, the frets, the tuners, the pickups and my lord, the tone! I'm in no hurry to pick up any of my other guitars for a while that's for sure.

I'm starting to now experiment with the stereo output into my modeler and it's opening up some very cool sounds! Lot's to explore.

NGD: Dustin Kensrue StringRay-dk-sr1-jpg
    NGD: Dustin Kensrue StringRay-dk2-sr-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice man congrats!!!! I love the volume/tone controls on the DK, so unique!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Bee-yutiful!!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.

User Info Menu

Such a classy looking instrument. Great variant of the Stingray
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...april-22-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

I'm having massible problems deciding if I should get this one or go for the standard Stingray RS. I do love the roasted necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alexradsby View Post
    I'm having massible problems deciding if I should get this one or go for the standard Stingray RS. I do love the roasted necks.
    The roasted necks do look amazing don't they! I'm really loving the stacked volume/tone control & pickup layout on this one.

User Info Menu

Me again! So after living with the guitar for a little while now I really wanted to bring the string height down slightly.
    I've got it a great place playing wise which is about 1.75 for low E-D, then 1.50 for G-E. The problem is that my G string is getting buzz the whole way up the neck. The strange thing is that some days it plays quite clean, then other days it's full buzz.
    Neck relief is set to about 0.006 which is where I have my other guitars.

Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

If it alternates in consistency, then that suggests to me the neck relief is in flux. Hows the climate? Is it in a consistent temperature and humidity or potentially a drafty place/outside wall/etc.?

I'd recommend setting the neck relief appropriately (tons of YT vids/guides - I recommend the straight-edge string method). After that gradually raise the saddles till the buzz is tolerable. Personally I don't mind a little buzzing unplugged, but never enough that it ever comes through the amp.
    Luke 3 / Stingray RS / Cutlass RS / Valentine