JP 20th Anniversary

Thread: Help me navigate the various EBMM neck profiles

User Info Menu

Help me navigate the various EBMM neck profiles

Hi there,

In recent months Iíve been looking for a guitar thatís really easy to play. Over that time, Iíve played a few EBMM guitars and I love the finish on the necks. I also love the 1 5/8 nut width.

Right now I have a Music Zoo Axis in purple quilt with roasted flamed neck at my studio -sent over by a friend to see if I wish to buy it. Itís beautifully made, intonates perfectly, sounds great and the neck feel is amazing Öbut playing on that asymmetrical carve has inflamed a joint in my index finger. Modifying my technique helps, but Iím already doing that to avoid the high and low E strings slipping off.

If the Axis neck was not asymmetrical and basically was the same on the treble side as the bass side, I think Iíd be more comfortable.

So hereís my question:

Of the 1 5/8 nut Ball guitars, which have the deepest, non-asymmetrical neck profiles?

I already know this:

JP -too wide/thin for me
    Luke -too tiny for me
    Morse and Valentine: A little small, but acceptable. Iíd like fatter though.

Iím especially interested if there are any limited editions that popped out with 1 5/8 nut and fat backshapes. Especially Axis models.

Let me know what you know. I just love the neck finish, and would really like to make my next guitar an EBMM.

User Info Menu

I want Knuckleheads to volunteer - neck profile project.
    I assume the newer models are not in there yet

The deepest may be the AL, Armada or a Morse "Dark Lord"
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

I would steer you away from the Silhouette models if you find the Luke necks too small. This process may be successful through process of elimination.
    2000 & 2003 SOLOuette Special

User Info Menu

Having played two Valentines (regular Toluca Lake Blue and a BFR w/ bound neck) if you like the neck profile but find it a bit slim I'd recommend seeing if you can try out a bound neck version.

Going purely off memory/recollection, but I think the bound version has a slightly thicker neck (maybe thanks to the binding).

User Info Menu

The Albert Lee fits the bill. Think of it as a little fatter Axis neck without the asymmetrical carve. It’s a very comfortable guitar to play and if you go the HH route its got the same HB’s as the Axis. The rosewood neck is really nice as well, though the roasted maple on the 2021 version should brighten it up a little. I’m an Axis guy and the AL neck is as close to the Axis as I can find without being an Axis.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Agree with Stratty316. My AL neck feels like a slightly fatter Axis neck.

User Info Menu

Also look for a used Reflex or 25th Anniversary. They were not thin, right?

And as banjoplayer said, the Morse "Dark Lord" was a pretty thick neck, made initially to Joe Bonamassa's specifications (with Morse's blessing).
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Looks like the AL is the path to pursueÖ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shankly View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments!

Looks like the AL is the path to pursue…
    Such a great guitar, hope you like it.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"