Joe Dart

Thread: JPM - Help - Concern about scrathes on the body

User Info Menu

JPM - Help - Concern about scrathes on the body

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I am in negotiations to buy a 2005 JP6, but the guitar have some details and scratches on the body.
    Do you guys think this is something that I should be concerned or is it just painting details?

The guy told me that this is just about painting, and that a luthier told him the same.

Here are some pics of the guitar:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JPM - Help - Concern about scrathes on the body-whatsapp-image-2021-09-09-09-39-50-jpg   JPM - Help - Concern about scrathes on the body-whatsapp-image-2021-09-09-09-18-59-jpg  

User Info Menu

Looks like the paint is peeling off, which can happen if a guitar is not stored in a moisture and temperature controlled environment for a long time.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

What about asking them to unscrew the cavity covers and take some pics, so you can check the cracks in more detail?

User Info Menu

Also get photos of the corners of the neck pockets. Some finish cracking there is normal but you ned to know what they look like now. If the paint is coming off due to storage, I would want assurance that the neck and truss rod are in good working order. Also some clear close up photos of the first three frets to see how much wear is there.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

That’s bad. I would suggest that unless the price is very low (low enough to allow a respray and rebuild) you should avoid this guitar. Even then you possibly won’t know how bad the damage is until the paint is fully removed, because you don’t know the full history of its life.
    ​JP6
    Majesty 6
    Parker Nitefly
    Ibanez UV777