VPJr Tuner

Thread: Just Switched From 10's to 9's on Majesty, Some Questions

User Info Menu

Just Switched From 10's to 9's on Majesty, Some Questions

Hello:

Due to some fretting hand pain I have been having recently, I decided to hop down to 9's from 10's on my Majesty in hopes the lighter strings may help.

Before changing the strings, I thought I might only need to adjust the intonation and do a relatively minor truss rod correction, and adjust the saddle height

However, I wasn't really prepared for the extreme result, lol.

Due to the lesser resistance, the bridge is dipping downward of course. But the issue is that a truss rod adjustment was not able to fix this totally, and I even did a minor adjustment to the spring screws

Is there anything else I can/should do to get the bridge back level with the body of the guitar?

Thanks

User Info Menu

There are a couple of things I might suggest.

1) screw the tremolo springs in even tighter and see if that does it.
    2) add another spring (which will probably need you to unscrew the tremolo springs a good amount)

Or

3) angle the outer springs. For instance, https://blog.zzounds.com/wp-content/.../04/Step-1.jpg
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

You need to *loosen* the trem springs. 9s have less combined tension so the bridge will be pulling backwards unless you release the tension from the screws. A couple of turns would do it. Check tuning after each turn, because you’ll find it changes dramatically when the tension reduces.

Also a truss rod adjustment is probably not required or only very slightly.
    ​JP6
    Majesty 6
    Parker Nitefly
    Ibanez UV777

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellaswail View Post
    Hello:

Due to some fretting hand pain I have been having recently, I decided to hop down to 9's from 10's on my Majesty in hopes the lighter strings may help.

Before changing the strings, I thought I might only need to adjust the intonation and do a relatively minor truss rod correction, and adjust the saddle height

However, I wasn't really prepared for the extreme result, lol.

Due to the lesser resistance, the bridge is dipping downward of course. But the issue is that a truss rod adjustment was not able to fix this totally, and I even did a minor adjustment to the spring screws

Is there anything else I can/should do to get the bridge back level with the body of the guitar?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrofreq View Post
    There are a couple of things I might suggest.

1) screw the tremolo springs in even tighter and see if that does it.
    2) add another spring (which will probably need you to unscrew the tremolo springs a good amount)

Or

3) angle the outer springs. For instance, https://blog.zzounds.com/wp-content/.../04/Step-1.jpg
    Awesome, thanks to both of you

I think I was just being too conservative with the spring screw adjustment, as I only did 1/4 to a half a turn. I will loosen it a bit more until things are flush

User Info Menu

It's an iterative process, it gets faster when you get used to it...

1) Adjust spring claw screws
    2) Retune the guitar
    3) Check the level of the bridge
    4) If further adjustment needed
    then
    Go back to step one
    else
    5) ROCK ON DUDE!

Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Dr Kev couldn’t is right - it’s an iterative process.

I made this same change on a JP15 years ago, which was the first floating trem guitar I’d ever had, and I wasn’t prepared for the immediate result. Adjust trem springs, tune, check bridge angle, repeat. One it’s level, adjust truss rod if necessary, then intonate and you should be good.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Dr Kev couldn’t is right - it’s an iterative process.

I made this same change on a JP15 years ago, which was the first floating trem guitar I’d ever had, and I wasn’t prepared for the immediate result. Adjust trem springs, tune, check bridge angle, repeat. One it’s level, adjust truss rod if necessary, then intonate and you should be good.
    Thanks both, yes all went well! I got everything level, and the intonation was somehow still nearly perfect (aside from a few slight tweaks)

I really thought I had totally screwed my setup. But it still stays in tune great, after my amateur adjustments lol. Just love this guitar