Joe Dart
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a lament on buying, selling, and ethics

User Info Menu

There are 2 sides to this...If a price is crazy high, it'll sit for a long time, if it's priced great, it'll sell within hours. The market decides what is reality.

The shame is that Reverb and eBay fees are much higher than they used to be, you have to price that in. On here there are decent and very fair prices.

I sold a few Axis and EVH's because the market went nuts. The 2 EVH's I had were purchased for $1900 and $2100 3 yrs ago. I sold both for over $6500. Someone was willing to pay and I was $800 less than the lowest Reverb prices at the time to move them. Those days are over.....some are sitting at prices that would have gone in minutes. The market is driven by supply and demand not emotion.

The low balling is also absurd, I take the fees into account and accept offers, but anything at 50% of asking is not worth responding to at all.

I've got an Axis Sport SSH and a stunning EBMM Red Quilt 25th Anniversary I'm thinking of moving and might put them on here to avoid dealing with the Reverb low ballers.

Everything is just crazy right now, look at used cars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slick64 View Post
    The shame is that Reverb and eBay fees are much higher than they used to be, you have to price that in. On here there are decent and very fair prices.
    I feel like Ebay's cut has inflated greatly, though the math doesn't indicate this. I can't confirm this, but I think the sneakiness happens because of their cut coming off the final total including tax - if you put something up for $1000, and the user pays $100 in shipping and $100 in tax, your $1000 is cut by $150 (15%) because they're charging you 12.5% on $1200, not $1000.
    2013 JP7 BFR Emerald Sparkle
    2013 JP6 Mystic Dream
    2014 Majesty Sapphire Blue
    2017 Majesty 7 Arctic Dream
    2018 Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue
    2019 Majesty BFR Charred Silver
    2021 Majesty 8 Mystic Dream #32/100

User Info Menu

eBay's cut is ridiculous now - luckily they did 1 seller fees last weekend and I shifted some studio gear. Reverb is more reasonable. FB Marketplace is ok, but a lot of chancers - I have bought off there and got good deals for cash.

As for the chancers with low ball offers, that encourages higher listings because a lowball on a very high price gets you to a reasonable guitar final value after the fees etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EBMM_EVH_1992 View Post
    As for the chancers with low ball offers, that encourages higher listings because a lowball on a very high price gets you to a reasonable guitar final value after the fees etc.
    I for sure account for this......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slick64 View Post
    I for sure account for this......
    Sadly, this is the case for me most of the time. If you post it for the fair value, people will still want you to take something else off on both Ebay and Reverb.

You can always come down on the price. I just try not to post it so high that people don't even make an offer. But anymore I always build some negotiating room in on Reverb because of...people.

J
    --
    2007 Axis SuperSport LE Blue Dawn
    2017 BFR Steve Morse HH Tahitian Blue #69 of 69
    2018 BFR Axis SuperSport Trans Light Purple #10 of 27
    2019 Luke III Firemist Purple
    2020 Luke III H-H Fuchsia Sparkle
    2020 Albert Lee H-H Fuchsia Sparkle
    2021 Sabre Pacific Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

For low-ball offers on Reverb there is a setting to automatically decline any offer under 64% of listing price.

It is located at:
    My Reverb
    -Shop Details
    --Edit my Shop
    ---Payment & Policies (scroll to bottom of page).
    Last edited by PeteDuBaldo; 10-05-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands

User Info Menu

First, I sympathize, and I understand what you're getting to - your motivation is to get these wonderful instruments into the hands of people that would love them and play them, which is admirable. And, they are works of art. Functional works of art.

Second, but, and at the risk of sounding callous, these aren't regulated goods or even necessities, such as food, water, utilities. They are guitars. These guitars are arguably luxury items. People can ask whatever they want for them. And because they are guitars, nobody is forcing people to pay those prices.

I recently finished moving, selling my old house and buying a new one. The real estate market is like this - people get irrational ideas of what they think they can get for their house. The market has a way of correcting those beliefs, because the house won't sell. Sellers get accordingly miffed. Likewise, people get in a twist complaining about how expensive the market is. I know, because it's housing there are economic repercussions that somewhat justify this view. Laying aside economic policy, however, it's mostly people bent out of shape because they had some vision of where they should live and are discovering that everyone else had the same vision, and that drives up price beyond their means.

The economics lesson aside, it seems what you're complaining about is that the free market, surprise surprise, isn't driven by altruistic goals - it's driven by people maximizing profit. That's life. We aren't entitled to get what we want, when we want, at the price we want. Just like a seller isn't entitled to sell their goods when they want at the price they want. Controlled markets have been tried (see, Soviet Union, Cuba, China, Vietnam, and every other historical command economy), and while it may result in low prices, it also results in flat out scarcity. So, no matter what, someone is still miffed.

All that said, that's a bummer about your friend who said they'd sell it back at your sales price, but did you get that in writing? If not, there's a saying about oral contracts that comes to mind: they're only worth the paper they're printed on. In the future, get a written agreement. Or just take out a loan, because that's basically what you were asking your friend to do - give you a zero-interest loan in exchange for temporarily borrowing your instrument.
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2021 EBMM Sabre BFR in Coral Blue Burst
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.