BFR June

Thread: Output of the MM90`S?

User Info Menu

Output of the MM90`S?

Does anyone know what the output is for the MM90 pickups? DiMarzio uses numbers in millivolts to show how much output their pickups have and i was wondering if a number or something can be determined for the MM90`s? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Anyone??????

I know,this thread is pretty lame compared to my last one!

User Info Menu

I have no idea what the output is in millivolts for MM90s, but I think they're not as hot as Gibson P90s, maybe more around the output of the Duncan P90s I once had. They're articulate and capable of a much broader tonal range than the Gibson pickups, imho...

User Info Menu

in the neighborhood of 260 milivolts.......
    around the same power as a vintage style humbucker... but with more midrange & brighter .
    plus.....hotter fatter than a vintage or blues style strat type pickup.
    i LOVE mm90's for blues gigs........there not overwound......giving a very natural sound w/ BALLS !!!!
    Last edited by tommyindelaware; 07-06-2005 at 12:26 PM.
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Its interesting how no one at this forum took some time and measured those pup?!?!?
    I've been interested in the AL model quite some time now and.....still no info on the pups-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Adam
    Its interesting how no one at this forum took some time and measured those pup?!?!?
    I've been interested in the AL model quite some time now and.....still no info on the pups-
    Would you rather be metering your guitar, or playing it?
    JP6 Pearl Redburst
    Y2D Purple Sunset
    Dargie Delight (1) Bongo H
    Majesty (6 string) Glacial Frost

User Info Menu

I have never felt the need to know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jongitarz
    I have never felt the need to know.
    i measured them @ the namm show w/ me ears matey !!!!! along w/ tom andersons, reverend , gibson , fraylins & more forgetable ones to boot.....
    Last edited by tommyindelaware; 07-07-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Are they ceramic or alnico magnets? I've heard that they're ceramic. Either way, they are nice sounding pickups!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm with Jon. It's just one of those things most people don't care about. Really only relevant if you're trying to compare them to other pickup vendors and most people here are really happy with them.

Also, pickup specs can be very misleading. Some people quote resistance, some prefer DC voltage (which is *very* subjective and depends on the measurement approach), still others quote inductance as the relevant metric. Good overview of this here.

Very hard to compare apples to apples this way. Bottom line is you have to hear a pickup to evaluate it's merits.

User Info Menu

Yeah Iknow and I agree, but still......some sound samples would be cool!

User Info Menu

Ok it's an old post but I was looking for this answer a while back and now I have replaced my Axis Bridge MM90 with A Dimarzio Tone Zone P90 (DP210) I have the bridge MM90 on my desk and as my meter is handed I have just checked and it comes in at 8.4Kohms.

This would mean that if you wanted to replace one, the Dimarzio DP167 is probably in the same ball park.

For reference it was necessary to route out a small channel in the pickups cavity in order to fit the DP210 just for the underside pole pieces and to be honest I am not liking the change very much. A five way switch was wired in to give some options but as a standalone the DP210 is a little muddy compared to the MM90 in the neck. Might change it for the DP154 DLX Plus which is what Jamie Humphries uses on his MM90 Axis and he was under the impression that no routing was needed for that pickup.
    2000 Axis SuperSport w/Piezo Black Sparkle
    2000 Axis SuperSport w/Piezo and Classic Trem Purple Trans
    2007 Axis Supersport MM90/Piezo Gloss Black
    2009 Axis Black Magic Crystal
    2012 Axis SuperSport w/Piezo Red Translucent Quilt
    2016 Axis Semi Tobacco Burst
    2017 BFR Axis Super Sport Trans Black Mahogany body/Wenge Neck
    2010 Reflex H Bass
    2010 OLP Axis 12 String
    2010 OLP Axis Doubleneck