Strap on your style
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: my modded musicman

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    my modded musicman

    ok guys... i have gotten closer to my EBMM concept guitar with the purchase of a black sub 1 which i converted to a strat setup. I am pleased with the results and will post pics soon. I hope you all enjoy as none of my musician aquaintences around here can appreciate it very much. I worked really hard for 2 days straight to get this guitar to what ive been envisioning since i got hooked on eb guitars.

    Its all black and chrome, featuring three NOS DiMarzio tds-1's. These pickups looked so cool i hunted for about 2 years for 3 of these and i stumbled upon them during my travels around NY's music shops. Pumped as hell, i went out and finished my layway of my sub 1 and bought a router and swimming pooled under pickguard to allow for enough room ( and totally voiding any hopes of a warranty haha) I didnt have enough money for a proper pickguard, so i found some fiber board and made itmyself. slap some krylon black on it and called it a day.

    I would have installed the silent circuit i aquired off of ebay a few months ago but i dont have a battery compartment. Idk if its really necessary anyways, just a bonus feature in my mind. anyways... after the guitar was finished i was smoking a cigarette and staring at it from a distance.... thinking...whats a personal guitar without a personal motif or name. so i thought fora second... sub 1.... tds-1 ... hmmm.....

    well this guitar is pretty much an answered prayer because when i first saw that single tds-1staring at me from the pickup case at my favorite music store i thought " man how badass would it be if i could have strat with three of those in it?" from there... i met a fellow ebmm forum member who gutted his petrucci tremolo out and installed the line 6 variax circuit in his guitar. So i freaked out because he had the Petrucci Tremolo laying around, and i think that the petrucci tremolo is the BEST< THE BEST > trem. So i was like, holy fargen shyte i gotta do this now!!! so i madeit my mission to get all the best parts for this guitar i could find. got the pups, the trem (eventually im working on that one still), and the silent circuit and then finally the guitar this weekend. so i wasjust thanking God so much for the oppurtunity to make this idea a reality. so i came up with a suitable filler for the acronym of TDS.... you ready?


    "The Divine Sillouhette" or "Strat" I cant decide but the 1 is obviously the remainder of sub1, or 1 as in only 1 right now to my knowledge.

    What really makes it special is that i really loved my petrucci but i really wanted to get a 22 fret strat styled pup configuration EBMM with the Petrucci and this was really the onlyl way to go about it b/c EB doesnt offer it. yes i know im being redundant... sorry... im lonley right now hahaha.


    anyways... pics will be up soon. hope you guys like my new Ball



    God bless,


    Tony

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Wow man, that sounds really really cool........totally interested in seeing the pics.....I don't think I'd ever have the energy needed to mod a guitar the way you have....good on ya

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    I'm all for modding the SUB 1, I'm going to convert one to at least an S-S-S config, maybe even another into an H-S-S...please post pics soon, I'm really excited.
    Most People Turn and Laugh When I Tell Them I Only Have 1/32" to Play With

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    I'm not into mods but it sounds really cool!!!!
    I can't wait for the pics.

    With all you guys modding, you really have me loosening up my mindset.
    I don't know what a EB-Benji costs but I'm assuming price wise it's in between the Sub 1's and the Axis or Silo.
    This would be a great guitar for me to mod if I ever thought to. This way I could get a maple fretboard, and there's plenty of space to rout some new pups!
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

    black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    awesome, im glad you guys are into it as much as i am. I have another mod project involving sub 1's and olp's mm-5 baritone. I had the baritone a while back and i loved it. unfortunately i sold it for a practice amp when i was still in college studying jazz.

    I dug the baritone so much and the lower range voicings really opened up new things for my playing and compositions, but i desperately wanted a tremolo on that sucker! so... since this mod project turned out well i figured wtf and go for a neck swap on the sub one with the neck off the baritone and solve that problem. If that doesnt work out, ill break out the router again and put the sub trem on the olp baritone.

    hmmm another thing... i didnt dig the way the bridge on the baritone was so far back from the normal scale. I may be wrong but i think it will work out scale wise for the baritone range when i swap necks and have the bridge where i like it for string dampening and other palm muted techniques. So ... who knows... we'll see. I've got to get a job first and foremost, that would make this whole mad ernie ball modding thing go so much smoother. Anyways... enough of my ranting... i will be posting the pics soon, thanks for the positive feedback, it was such a bummer not feeling like anyone thought what i did was interesting.

    God bless,


    Tony

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by puppiesonacid View Post
    awesome, im glad you guys are into it as much as i am. I have another mod project involving sub 1's and olp's mm-5 baritone. I had the baritone a while back and i loved it. unfortunately i sold it for a practice amp when i was still in college studying jazz.

    I dug the baritone so much and the lower range voicings really opened up new things for my playing and compositions, but i desperately wanted a tremolo on that sucker! so... since this mod project turned out well i figured wtf and go for a neck swap on the sub one with the neck off the baritone and solve that problem. If that doesnt work out, ill break out the router again and put the sub trem on the olp baritone.

    hmmm another thing... i didnt dig the way the bridge on the baritone was so far back from the normal scale. I may be wrong but i think it will work out scale wise for the baritone range when i swap necks and have the bridge where i like it for string dampening and other palm muted techniques. So ... who knows... we'll see. I've got to get a job first and foremost, that would make this whole mad ernie ball modding thing go so much smoother. Anyways... enough of my ranting... i will be posting the pics soon, thanks for the positive feedback, it was such a bummer not feeling like anyone thought what i did was interesting.

    God bless,


    Tony

    Its funny to read a post from what seems like an eternity ago. I still have this guitar and still have yet to post pics. Can anyone tell me how to do so from my iphone?

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Are you using TapTalk to read and post from the forum? If so, you should be able to use the forum post attachment feature.

    If you using a computer to post from, you'll need to download the pictures from your phone to your computer and again either use the forum attachment tool, or host them on a site like the following:

    ImgBB — Upload Image — Free Image Hosting or Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    You can then link them in a post using the advanced option when posting.

    Hope that helps, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Are you using TapTalk to read and post from the forum? If so, you should be able to use the forum post attachment feature.

    If you using a computer to post from, you'll need to download the pictures from your phone to your computer and again either use the forum attachment tool, or host them on a site like the following:

    ImgBB Upload Image Free Image Hosting or Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    You can then link them in a post using the advanced option when posting.

    Hope that helps, Glenn |B)
    Niether. Just using safari browser on my iphone. So i have to use tapatalk?

  9. #9

    User Info Menu


  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by puppiesonacid View Post
    Cool, the link works. You can also embed the image like this:



    In the Go Advanced function below, there is a IMAGE option that you just put that link in there and it will embed it in the post.

    By the way, the mod looks good. You gonna get a new pick guard?

    Hope this helps, Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Cool, the link works. You can also embed the image like this:



    In the Go Advanced function below, there is a IMAGE option that you just put that link in there and it will embed it in the post.

    By the way, the mod looks good. You gonna get a new pick guard?

    Hope this helps, Glenn |B)

    Cool. Thanks man. Yeah it looks rough right now with the homemade guard and lack of knobs haha. but i was im a hurry for proof of concept and i dont think there were aftermarket guards available at that time. I called chandler a couple days ago and should be ordering a flat black SSS guard soon.

    The dimarzios are TDS-1's and have a tappable second sound that is supposed to be brighter and lower output. I have a wiring scheme worked out to take advantage of the dual sounds with a 5 way, but wanted to fogure out how to integrate the silent circuit. I have a couple kicking around.

    The pups are stratty but unique. Hot enough for metal but still has single coil flavor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums