Jimmy Page Plays Super Slinkys
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Bass Strings

Short of wiping down my basses (strings included) after playing, I just replace the strings about every 2 or 3 months...

...provided I keep the bass that long.

Besides, it gives me a chance to oil the fretboard.
    "That Bongo is the Abe Vigoda of basses."
    - BP

"Don't play it if you don't feel it."
    - James Jamerson

I am the Heidi Fleiss of bass owners!

~James~

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasd
    i clean mine using a cloth moistened with 91% rubbing alcohol after every use.

Yeah, that's my method as well.......

Ritchie
    I have NEW BALLS!!!!

I use Windex "Powerized with Vinegar" sprayed on a paper towel and rubbed the length of the string a couple of times. Works like a champ, and beats the heck out of taking them off the bass. Alcohol works great, too.
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoe
    I use Windex "Powerized with Vinegar" sprayed on a paper towel and rubbed the length of the string a couple of times. Works like a champ, and beats the heck out of taking them off the bass. Alcohol works great, too.
    +1

Denatured alcohol in a big jar. Leave em in 24 hours. They air dry very quickly. Voila. Now, on the other hand, with decent strings available on eBay and such for like $10/set, there really is little excuse for boiling strings etc as it really only adds the zing for another few hours of playing time. Nothing can reverse the aging process strings go through while being spanked.
    2000 Sterling Trans Teal/Maple
    2004 Bongo 4HH/Black
    2006 Sterling HH Trans Teal/RW
    2009 Sterling by Music Man JP50

String Cleaning-

If you must remove the strings from your bass, you're really going to be better off just buying a new set i.e. you'll never get them back on your bass precisely, as they were before so the overtones will, get....skewed.... That said, (I would)clean them on the bass, using a good clean cotton cloth i.e. T-shirt, "wet" with denatured alcohol. I'm not suggesting you do this, as I don't answer calls from your lawyer, but it is, the smart way to get this done.

the tube

for those that are recomending the d. alcohol and tube do you fish the strings out of the tube every time? i seen a "how to" that involved the hook and cork but i am wondering if you have any problems getting the strings in? my string are all crinkly and bent up at the small end when i take them off ... i have not tried it yet, just wondering cause i want to make one of these tubes. thanks. matt.

Wipe down hands prior to and after playing the bass.
    Use EB "slip and slide" spray
    If you are too cheap to buy new strings (as I once was) heat them in warm milk, for around
    10-15 minutes then wash them off and place in the oven until dry.

can you use the denatured alcohol directly on the strings while still on your bass? like you would with eb string cleaner? thanks. matt.

fast frett isnt bad, but theres nothing like a new set to spank !

When I was skint I used to put them in the oven, it was on for dinner anyway and that always managed to squeeze more life out of the strings ( bass ).
    Each to their own.

All of this stuff sounds wierd to me. If I have to take them off they are going in the trash. I wipe down with EB string cleaner, sometimes I use finger ease too if they feel sticky.
    09 Steve Morse Dargie Delight 2
    09 AXIS SUPER SPORT CABERNET PEARL HARDTAIL W/ ROSEWOOD NECK
    08 LUKE BLACK
    03 Sub Bass 4 String Active Black W/Diamond Plate PG
    05 Sub HH Graphite W/Black PG Hardtail

http://www.soundclick.com/slingy
    http://www.riffworld.com/Members/GuitarSlinger

Boiling I get, Washer Machine - what ever floats your boat.....but warm milk followed by toasting in the oven? lol I don't know about that. Do you polish your bass with a stick of butter after?

I've had my strings for a year and a half and just wipe then down occasionally. After a while the strings were sounding dead. I cant afford to buy strings every few weeks or months so instead I spent $2.50 to make a cleaning tube from PVC pipe.
    I put the strings in there with some denatured alcohol and let em sit for a day. That pulled all the grime out of the strings and brought them back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by sadworld View Post
    for those that are recomending the d. alcohol and tube do you fish the strings out of the tube every time? i seen a "how to" that involved the hook and cork but i am wondering if you have any problems getting the strings in? my string are all crinkly and bent up at the small end when i take them off ... i have not tried it yet, just wondering cause i want to make one of these tubes. thanks. matt.
    Old thread but thought I'd reply.

I drilled a hole in the top cap of my tube rig and put a small hook in that hole. Then I took a chunk of wire and fashioned a larger Loop connected to the Hook.

Feed the 5 bass strings through that loop, tighten it up a bit around the twisted string ends so they don't flop out, then put the cap on the tube, which lowers the strings into the alcohol.

I've never been able to understand anything dealing with water or heat regarding string cleaning. Strings are metal. Metal rusts, and it is effected negatively by heat. Alcohol dries quickly (water does not).
    2010 Big Al 5 - White with White Headstock
    rescued and resurrected basketcase FrakenSR5