Strap Blocks

Thread: Jimmy Page

User Info Menu

Jimmy Page

Hi, Jimmy Page once said he used Super Slinkies when he was with Led Zeppelin! as guitar string development has moved on since those days, what's the closest spec Ernie Ball strings produce nowadays? thanks

Answers on a postcard please, or leave the answer here and I'll pick it up later.

User Info Menu

Jimmy still uses our strings. Supers, Earthwood
    acoustics and other gauges for all his guitars.
    Our Super Slinkies are the same as they were back then.

Thanks

Derek

User Info Menu

I heard that he used 8's in Led Zeppelin...

When did EB first make 8's?

Also, in the early 70's weren't the strings solid nickel, not nickel plated?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by prakashananda
    When did EB first make 8's?

Also, in the early 70's weren't the strings solid nickel, not nickel plated?

Thanks.
    solid nickel would be non magnetic. ( i think ) the core has always been steel. the wrapping on classics are pure nickel
    Last edited by tommyindelaware; 06-21-2005 at 11:45 PM.
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Man! "Jimmy uses our strings".... that is just simply too cool!
    Do you guys at EBMM ever get to sit down and chat with some of these big shots.
    I think it'd be wild to ask Jimmy a couple questions one on one.
    In fact, I even heard that Jon has shredding contests with Steve M. from time to time

User Info Menu

We do get to speak to some of the Artists sometimes which is very cool. Although I have not spoken to Jimmy Page yet. His tech calls in and gives the latest details on what he is doing. Right now Jimmy is in England
    rehearsing with some musicians on newer material. Jimmy has been out of commission because of back problems from the last 5 years.

The Slinky strings of the late 60 and early 70's were of the pure nickel variety. We now call them Classic slinkys. The nickel plated slinkys came next around the same time(early 70's) and are the most popular today.

We will have to check on when the Extra slinkys came into the fold.

Thanks

Derek
    Last edited by Derek; 10-17-2005 at 08:58 AM.

User Info Menu

that is so cool
    I'm an arsonist, with a big box of matches - please let me in so I can set fire to your staff. [Gate Opens] Unbelievable! - Alan Partridge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    We do get to speak to some of the Artists sometimes which is very cool. Although I have not spoken to Jimmy Page yet. His tech calls in and gives the latest details on what he is doing. Right now Jimmy is in England
    rehearsing with some musicians on some newer material. Jimmy has been out of commission because of some back problems over the last 5 years.

The Slinky strings of the late 60 and early 70's were of the pure nickel variety. We now call them Classic slinkys. The nickel plated slinkys came next around the same time(early 70's) and are the most popular today.

Thanks

Derek
    Very cool Derek - Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out when and if Jimmy was using 8's rather than 9's.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I will have to talk with "Binky" Jimmy's guitar technician about that. We have checked the file and have not noticed .008 gauge strings. However going back 30-35 years anything is possible.

Thanks

Derek

User Info Menu

I remember reading in an interview with Pagey that in Zep he used an 8 on the High E only...and it was a banjo string. Maybe that's tosh but that's what I remember.

Hope it helps.
    2001 Axis, Honey Burst.
    2005 Luke LE, Buttercream.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    rehearsing with some musicians on newer material. Jimmy has been out of commission because of back problems from the last 5 years.

Thanks

Derek
    Back problems.......probably from that LP he carried all those years. Maybe he should try an EBMM?

User Info Menu

yes those Gibsons are beasts