Ultra Burly
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: So, Cobalt Strings...

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    So, Cobalt Strings...

    I was wondering if anyone has given the new cobalts a real good test yet, and if so, what are your thoughts on them? Are they living up to the hype? I mean, I've seen the video with John Petrucci (who I regard as the Tone Master), and he seemed to like them. And I saw a purely positive review in Guitar Player magazine, but I'd like to hear from the general guitar playing public too. I'm interested in how versatile they are. For example, would they fit the part on a Gibson hollowbody ES-175 guitar in a jazz setting? How about Tele twang? Would Stevie Ray Vaughan have liked these?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Dan they are just shipping....
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Dan they are just shipping....
    Ah, understood.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    You should be getting some reviews by the end of the month. I ordered some bass strings at the end of Jan with a GC date of receipt of 2-17. That should get 'em received, strung and tested real good before the end of the month if GC's distribution dates are correct. My review would be for bass strings but we should be getting some soon.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg



    Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    My closest GC said they thought they would be in by the end of the month. Definitely going to give these bad boys a try!

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    I understand that these aren't out yet...soon...I'm not real particular about strings...as long as they're not coated, I'm usually happy. But I am particular about gauge. I play 9's on my strat/strat style guitars, and hybrid (9/46's) on my Les Paul style guitars.
    I'm really interested in trying a new type of string...I'd like to find one that I could say is 'the strings' for me. Instead, i just buy what's on sale...usually in bulk. I've seen a few reviews of these cobalts, and they've gotten me excited....but I was disappointed to see that they're only shipping in 10 gauge.
    So that begs the question...is there any plan to put these out in 9 gauge, and even in hybrid gauge?
    Thanks very much.

    Todd

  7. #7
    Brian's Avatar
    Brian is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by veniculum View Post
    I understand that these aren't out yet...soon...I'm not real particular about strings...as long as they're not coated, I'm usually happy. But I am particular about gauge. I play 9's on my strat/strat style guitars, and hybrid (9/46's) on my Les Paul style guitars.
    I'm really interested in trying a new type of string...I'd like to find one that I could say is 'the strings' for me. Instead, i just buy what's on sale...usually in bulk. I've seen a few reviews of these cobalts, and they've gotten me excited....but I was disappointed to see that they're only shipping in 10 gauge.
    So that begs the question...is there any plan to put these out in 9 gauge, and even in hybrid gauge?
    Thanks very much.

    Todd
    Hey Todd - cobalts are available in all popular gauges including 9-42 and 9-46!

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Looking forward to trying these.....Fun times to be a guitarist of late with all the awesome goodies =D
    Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
    Psalms 144:1

    http://tuningforkd.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Brian's Avatar
    Brian is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by redburst21 View Post
    Looking forward to trying these.....Fun times to be a guitarist of late with all the awesome goodies =D
    Excited to hear all of you're feedback! Please post thoughts once you plug em in!

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Are the Cobalts going to be available as singles? And relative to a regular Slinky, any idea how they would preform with one of these Dusenberg multibenders?
    Currently I've been piecing together sets of Slinkys for my builds, but would love to give the Cobalts a good test.


  11. #11
    Brian's Avatar
    Brian is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Quarter View Post
    Are the Cobalts going to be available as singles? And relative to a regular Slinky, any idea how they would preform with one of these Dusenberg multibenders?
    Currently I've been piecing together sets of Slinkys for my builds, but would love to give the Cobalts a good test.

    Yeah, they will be available in singles, but are looking at a Summer Single launch!

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    2/20 Receipt date from MF for my Super Slinky's.Whoo hoo!!! I'll have them strung up and gigged on 2/23. Opening for Faster Pussycat that night. Trial by fire ;-)
    Yay ME

    Trans Purple EVH
    Gremlin Green Axis HH
    Trans Green Axis Sport HSS
    Mystic Dream Petrucci 6
    Emerald Green BFR JP Baritone
    20th A- Silo
    Dargie Delight Luke
    Lava Pearl Bongo 4 HH

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    I've GOT to try these. With my recently diagnosed "sensitivity" to nickel, I have been using Stainless Steel strings - but man, they are not what I would call - .......silky. They are a bit more rough than nickel, that's for sure. And if the cobalts are smooth and buttery as professed - I will definitely be a regular user! I'm going to pre-order a couple sets from MF and then ,if they're are as good as professed - I'm gonna get a lot more!!!

    SO happy about this development in the string world. Looking forward to more comfortable playing. Thanks EBMM - for always skating to where the puck is going to be.
    Greg

    2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

    Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums