VPJR Tuner Launch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Cobalt: Hail Sustain!

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Thumbs up Cobalt: Hail Sustain!

    Just wanted to jump on the forums and let you guys know how pleased I am with these Cobalts. Ive been an Elixir player for over a decade and will never look back. These are my strings now. Here is the review I submitted for GuitarCenter.com on the Skiny Top Heavy Bottoms.

    "Picked up these strings from a local GC the day I got the email that they had finally come on sale. Grabbed up 2 sets for both my lead guitarist and myself then went quickly to work. Both being Elixir guys we were a bit worried we were going to lose some clarity. The moment of truth, we fired up the Tubes and began to tremble and giggle like little kids with the all out roar of these strings. The lows were absolutely ruthless for both lead and rhythm. Playing most of our stuff in Drop C# the heavy tops sounded beefier than I had ever heard. After blasting through every heavy rift we could imagine we started to do some dueling leads and found these strings to be very precise and have great tonal quality in the highs. They do sound brighter than the Elixirs we use to use but defiantly have a different feel. Iíve used Elixirs for about 10 years now so the feel isnít something I can really comment on comparison wise. They donít feel bad thatís for sure but comparing coated and non coated strings doesnít make sense of course they feel different. The biggest thing I noticed was at the end of the song we let it ring, after waiting to see if these strings would ever stop we started to play with the harmonics that are claimed to be above average in the info from EB. Just a fair warning if you start to play with the harmonics be ready to spend a few hours working these newly discovered harmonics into your songs. We could get harmonics anywhere we tried. My overall impression of the string is pure amazement. They sound so brutal and crisp on my LP (Classic 57s) and the same goes for his RR3 (SD Blackouts). If you are looking to step out of the box and try something new these are the way to go. The sizes on this particular set of strings are great for us Metal head that like to drop tune. 10 bucks is completely worth the amount of the tonal rampage you will feel when you fire these up. Enjoy!"

    Question for EB: When are these going to be available in 7 string or is there plans to take these to the 7 string market? Maybe I am just not seeing them too

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    You're all just getting me excited now. When the France delivery date?

    Thanks for the great review!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Click here for my Music Man photo albums


    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Can't wait to get a few pairs for my bass as well.

  4. #4
    Brian's Avatar
    Brian is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Hey 20Limited06! Thanks for the feedback. We're thrilled to hear that you love the new Cobalt Strings, and your review was to a tee what we were hearing during the testing process.

    Regarding the 7 string availability, keep an eye out for a Summer 2012 Release!

    Cheers, and thanks a ton for your support and helping to spread the word!

    Brian

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    I just bought my first set of skinny tops, heavy bottoms today and put them on my American Deluxe Strat. Holy s#$t honey badger these things are amaz-za-zing!! Finally my strat actually sounds like I think a strat should sound! and the feel, it's like the guitar is playing itself. I'm ripping off licks like a BOSS. My Strat has the SCN pickups, it's a 2004. I don't know if the cobalt in the pickup has anything to do with this sound but I'm hearing overtones that I've never heard before and I haven't even plugged it into my big amp yet, just the Super Champ and a Sidekick. When I first read about these things i thought meh, just another gimmick. But I was out of strings anyway so i found myself in a GC today buying a set. after this I'm going to buy at least 6 sets! Well done EB, well done.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    for 12s ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hey 20Limited06! Thanks for the feedback. We're thrilled to hear that you love the new Cobalt Strings, and your review was to a tee what we were hearing during the testing process.

    Regarding the 7 string availability, keep an eye out for a Summer 2012 Release!

    Cheers, and thanks a ton for your support and helping to spread the word!

    Brian
    Will/when there be a cobalt version of
    Ernie Ball 2236 Nickel 12-String Medium Electric Guitar Strings
    ?
    thanx much for a reply,
    thanx even more if the answer is yes, and a link to purchase...:-)

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Regarding the 7 string availability, keep an eye out for a Summer 2012 Release!
    Hey, Brian, I'm so glad to hear that you'll be releasing them in 7-string packs! Will you be supporting the Power Slinky (and other heavier gauges) with those Cobalt-7's? I can't wait to string up my 7's with them =D

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    yeah it is a very complicated process to make the wire and get all the forumulas perfect...and we are absolutely swamped keeping up with the orders....this is huge.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    yeah it is a very complicated process to make the wire and get all the forumulas perfect...and we are absolutely swamped keeping up with the orders....this is huge.

    I'm glad to hear that BP! I will be back in Denver on Thursday and hope to pick up a pair then. I really am excited about trying out a pair of these strings.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hey 20Limited06! Thanks for the feedback. We're thrilled to hear that you love the new Cobalt Strings, and your review was to a tee what we were hearing during the testing process.

    Regarding the 7 string availability, keep an eye out for a Summer 2012 Release!

    Cheers, and thanks a ton for your support and helping to spread the word!

    Brian
    Any thought to producing cobalt flatwounds for a 5-string bass?
    Last edited by backagain1; 03-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    as soon as I began reading the review at the top I instantly wanted a 7 string set! Can't wait to get hold of them! I'm an elixir user because I have an allergic reaction to the nickel in most strings, I wonder if the Cobalts will counteract it...

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahanasaurus View Post
    I wonder if the Cobalts will counteract it...
    Perhaps a member of EBMM staff can chime in here to confirm but I seem to remember at least one post somewhere that says YES!

    And there are of course the EBMM coated Slinkys too.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Click here for my Music Man photo albums


    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahanasaurus View Post
    as soon as I began reading the review at the top I instantly wanted a 7 string set! Can't wait to get hold of them! I'm an elixir user because I have an allergic reaction to the nickel in most strings, I wonder if the Cobalts will counteract it...
    FWIW, I had a skin reaction to Nickel strings as well. I just dealt with it for years (because I didn't know what was causing it!). About a year ago a doc figured out what was going on. I switched to SS. Not my favorite tone wise but they sure did help with the skin issue. When I heard about the cobalts, I knew I had to give them a try as I wasn't super thrilled with the tone of the SS sets. I put on a set on each of my two main guitars about three weeks ago. I've played about an hour each day. I have had ZERO reaction to the cobalts! Another giant bonus for guys like you and me ON TOP of the insanely great tone and feel! I am so excited about these strings for SO many reasons!

    Now, I can't guarantee how YOU are going to react to them, but I can say, for at least one person with a nickel sensitivity, the cobalts pose no issues at all. And they sound and feel bloody amazing!!!
    Greg

    Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z EMS

  14. #14
    Brian's Avatar
    Brian is offline Ernie Ball Customer Service Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    FWIW, I had a skin reaction to Nickel strings as well. I just dealt with it for years (because I didn't know what was causing it!). About a year ago a doc figured out what was going on. I switched to SS. Not my favorite tone wise but they sure did help with the skin issue. When I heard about the cobalts, I knew I had to give them a try as I wasn't super thrilled with the tone of the SS sets. I put on a set on each of my two main guitars about three weeks ago. I've played about an hour each day. I have had ZERO reaction to the cobalts! Another giant bonus for guys like you and me ON TOP of the insanely great tone and feel! I am so excited about these strings for SO many reasons!

    Now, I can't guarantee how YOU are going to react to them, but I can say, for at least one person with a nickel sensitivity, the cobalts pose no issues at all. And they sound and feel bloody amazing!!!

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    FWIW, I had a skin reaction to Nickel strings as well. I just dealt with it for years (because I didn't know what was causing it!). About a year ago a doc figured out what was going on. I switched to SS. Not my favorite tone wise but they sure did help with the skin issue. When I heard about the cobalts, I knew I had to give them a try as I wasn't super thrilled with the tone of the SS sets. I put on a set on each of my two main guitars about three weeks ago. I've played about an hour each day. I have had ZERO reaction to the cobalts! Another giant bonus for guys like you and me ON TOP of the insanely great tone and feel! I am so excited about these strings for SO many reasons!

    Now, I can't guarantee how YOU are going to react to them, but I can say, for at least one person with a nickel sensitivity, the cobalts pose no issues at all. And they sound and feel bloody amazing!!!
    Looking forward to getting my hands on a set then! Have these been distributed to the UK yet? Also, whats the RRP on the badboys? I'm paying £8 a pop for elixirs on my "mates rates" account with my local music store.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums