Ernie Ball CRNR Mike Dirnt

Thread: Strings always going out of tune

Strings always going out of tune

Hi,
    I have the Music Man Majesty Polar Noir and the Ernie Ball Slinky 10 - 46 strings. My G-string keeps going out of tune. Sometimes at a lower pitch and sometimes at a higher pitch. This happened with another set of strings as well. Is this an issue with the locking tuner? Anyone else having the same issue?
    Thanks

Hi Rob,

First of all, we always recommend contacting customer service since tuning stability should not be an issue.

Second, this could be a set-up or intonation issue. During the guitar's time spent traveling or its time in the store anything can happen. You can always have a tech check it out and set it up, or if you're so inclined check the neck, saddles, nut, action, bridge, etc.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Hi Rob,

First of all, we always recommend contacting customer service since tuning stability should not be an issue.

Second, this could be a set-up or intonation issue. During the guitar's time spent traveling or its time in the store anything can happen. You can always have a tech check it out and set it up, or if you're so inclined check the neck, saddles, nut, action, bridge, etc.
    Thanks Casey. It will usually happen as I'm playing it. I will tune it up and then a couple of minutes later, It could be too low and then a couple of minutes later, it could be too high. I'll take your advice and get a tech to check it out.

I have the same issue. The G string is awefully out of tune. Any tips would be good.

This is not a Fender.. I wouldnt expect to have this problem to be honest.

Hi folks: I just responded to a similar issue on the guitar forum. Make sure that the string is not wrapped multiple times around the tuner; there should be just enough string to lock and have a partial wrap. If you wrap the strings the usual way, with multiple wraps around the tuner and then go nuts with the whammy bar, the wraps can overlay/shift resulting in changes of string tension in either direction when the whammy is released. This would explain the string going sharp and flat; if only flat, then I'd be looking at the nut slot.
    Rick

'16 EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream