Strap Blocks

Thread: extend life of slinkies

User Info Menu

extend life of slinkies

hey guys,

been a slinky user for a long time but i can never get more than a week or two of good sound out of them. it helps that theyre relatively inexpensive but id like to buy one set a month and be good. is there any tips you have about extending the "bright" tone life of them? i already wipe them off with a cloth after each use and wash my hands before i play. for reference i play a couple hours a day and gig weekly.

SIDENOTE: im currently trying cobalts because ive heard their tone lasts a long time but they are a bit harsh when fresh id like to switch back to super slinkies if i can.

SIDENOTE: im talking about bass strings
    Last edited by SeizeTheKarp; 05-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Mine last a while, but obviously that varies with play time. The Cobalts definitely last longer, but they have a different sound (not to mention that the plain strings are the same).

Have you tried the Paradigms? They sound like the Super Slinkys, but last a lot longer.

User Info Menu

sorry should have clarified, im talking about bass strings

User Info Menu

Not sure there is really any trick to extending the life. Some people wipe them down. Some people clean them with solvents. I've even heard of some people boiling them. If you are anything like me, your hands sweat a lot when you play. Nothing can really change that.

You could either test out the other strings that have longer life or just do what I do: buy in bulk and change them all the time. There's nothing like a fresh set of strings.
    My Gear:
    JP BFR
    Luke 2 Black
    Majesty Tiger Eye

"You don't just sit on the couch and miraculously get better. Learning guitar takes hours of practice. You have to put in the time." - John Petrucci

User Info Menu

Consider cobalt flatwounds. Flats last longer because there is much less room for gunk to get in between the ridges of the winding. Flats normally sound dull but I have found the cobalt flats have more than enough "roundwound punch/tone" to get an aggressive sound.
    EBMM Stingray 4 HH Stealth Pearl
    SBMM SUB 4 Custom: Space Bass Refinish Aguilar OBP 3TK PP pre, Nordstrand pup, and GK3B Divided pup
    Oscar Schmidt Acoustic

4 string bass>Roland GR 55 synth>EHX 95000 Performance Looper = endless entertainment