New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: EB Cobalt Flats bass string tension

User Info Menu

Question EB Cobalt Flats bass string tension

Hey all, where can i find tension numbers for EB Cobalt flats?

Need to chose proper gauges for my needs, without buying different packs.

I know how to calculate tension based on scale length and pitch, but i need some numbers to start from.

I need tension slightly more than TI flats on long scale, but less than typical 45-105 rounds, something like 45-60-80-100. It could be wrong to apply tension numbers known for rounds for calculations of flats tension.

I bought 45-100 set and feel that tension is higher than i expected, and it is unbalanced string to string. I afraid that 40-95 would be to loose though.

Probably, i need to assemble my custom set, and this is where i need to know the tension numbers.

I emailed EB support with this question and the did not reply to me...

User Info Menu

Hi Igor, I am afraid EB has never published such numbers.

Have you tried emailing Daniel at the EB support? They are ones who should know - if not in absolute numbers, they might at least give some useful hints in the right direction.

I have never tried the bass cobalts myself, only a set of 12s for acoustic guitar. I found they felt rather stiff in handling while stringing up. They also felt notably stiffer (in tension) than my usual phosphor bronze 12s after stretching and tuning. I also had to adjust the neck. So I guess, yes, at the same gauge they need a bit more tension as usual.

If I should try them again (liked the sound!) I would try 11s or even 10s as the tension is defined by the core, not the wrapping.

That said, I have the TI flats on one dedicated bass and these feel remarkably soft, almost delicate, compared to pretty much any other strings of that gauge.
    SBMM Silhouette HSS
    You can tune a bass but you can't tuna fish.