Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs with Unexpected Good Guitar Solos

User Info Menu

Songs with Unexpected Good Guitar Solos

I wanted to start a list of songs that you would not expect great guitar solos to be in, but have them. I'll start with:

"Peg" -Steely Dan

"Stranger" -Jefferson Starship

"My Sharona" -The Knack

"Voices" -Russ Ballard

In order to qualify, I would prefer songs that are considered "Pop" songs. Songs that in all other respects are not typical guitar oriented songs, but have unexpectedly good guitar solos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I wanted to start a list of songs that you would not expect great guitar solos to be in, but have them. I'll start with:

"Peg" -Steely Dan

"Stranger" -Jefferson Starship

"My Sharona" -The Knack

"Voices" -Russ Ballard

In order to qualify, I would prefer songs that are considered "Pop" songs. Songs that in all other respects are not typical guitar oriented songs, but have unexpectedly good guitar solos.
    I would expect anything by Steely Dan to have a great solo, good call on My Sharona...
    Australian Music Man Dealer Contact us
    See Guitar Planet Videos Here

User Info Menu

any credibility i may have may well dissapear with this sugestion
    the song that started out as the 'coke theme' in '87 but because so many people started asking what it was, an actual song was writen from that chorus and melody.
    Yep i'm talking about 'First Time' by Robin Beck which has an awesome solo which i believe may have been played by either (and i could be wrong as i'm going from memory here) Kasim Sulton who went on to play 1st guitar, then Bass for Meat Loaf or Ira Sokoloff i think was the name of the other guitarist on the session for the track

would Paul Gilbert's version of the Spice Girls' 'Two Become One' count?

User Info Menu

If it was the 80's, it was probably Steve Lukather. Have you seen his discography?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    If it was the 80's, it was probably Steve Lukather. Have you seen his discography?
    yeah, Luke's got an impressive discography. I checked it out when i got home from work and i was totally wrong though, lol. It was Ira Segal and Geoff Miranoff who played on First Time

User Info Menu

Peg has one of the best solos ever on record. Ever.

User Info Menu

Here are three unexpectedly somewhat difficult lead solos (that is if it is played exactly as original).

Easy lover, Are you gonna go, and You can still rock in America.

Try em

User Info Menu

Janet Jackson - Black Cat
    Lefty JP6 BFR Cherryburst (Born 12-30-09)

User Info Menu

sexy mf with prince.. ohh that sweet jazz solo is awesome

and not to mention in the video where the guitarplayer uses an ace of spades as pick

MrM
    flats for the bongo!
    roundwounds for the fretless!

eb customer support:
    E-mail: musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com
    Telephone: +1 866-823-2255

trussrod adjustment:
    Click here for an image!
    less relief / flatter = lower action
    more relief / bow = higher action
    do NOT use cheap tools to adjust with. they break and scrape up your bass!

if you have a 100th namm sr4: the truss works the other way around on those!

i have no affiliation with eb other than i love their basses

User Info Menu

Easy and cheesy, but I still listen when it comes on the radio - "Easy Like Sunday Morning". Unexpected fuzzy goodness in a ballad.

User Info Menu

Put in you tube,Greg Lake,it hurts,and listen to the two solos in that song,Its says that its Gary Moore playing the solo but i know that Luke also played on that LP and i think that its in his style,Wonderful solo.

User Info Menu

It's not a rippin' solo, but it is very tasty. The gutiar solo in "Love Will Find a Way" from Pablo Cruise.

User Info Menu

I heard The Beatle's "Something" on the radio today, I'd never really paid attention to the solo before. It's wonderful, like he's telling a story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leftyguitarblue View Post
    Janet Jackson - Black Cat

The single version of that song was Nuno Bettencourt on guitar.
    1992 EBMM EVH

User Info Menu

Agianst The Wall-Forever