Mariposa Green

Thread: Signature models

User Info Menu

Cool Signature models

Hi I was at a shop the other day and liked the Steve Morse Purpleburst (gorgeous) and I tried a Petrucci model. I prefered the Steve Morse but I digress, lol. I didn't make a purchase because the guitar had someone elses name on the headstock, whilst I enjoy Dream Theater immensely and a few of Mr Morses many bands, I find the name of another guitarist on plain show off putting. Can you please sell these guitars with the name removed? Call it what you like but don't plaster the name on it. I like Les Pauls and I like Slash and the les Paul with the Zebras is awesome but the Slash logo just spoils the whole guitar. Thoughts?

User Info Menu

I think Les Paul is somebody's name

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I think Les Paul is somebody's name
    Laughing so hard, I may have peed a little.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

they co created the guitars...this isnt a phony deal...if these guys created it their names go on the headstock
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Well that's an interesting take, can't say I've heard it before. I have never even thought about it, that's the 'model' name (and because it was designed by/for the artist). I've never thought of it that way, but that's what EBMM guitars are -- they're all signature guitars. Cool style if you ask me.

So who is Axis? lol
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple
    '05 JP6 Medallion Gold
    '09 Axis Amber Quilt
    '11 JP6 Pearl White
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    '18 Majesty Monarchy Majestic Purple

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Here is the funny thing...if a guitar makes you play better or feel better I cant understand why the name is an issue...you need the tool that fits you.
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

I have never had a problem with signature guitars and frankly, I just don't understand why people do. I get that some people don't like when a brand slaps some bodies name on a basically standard guitar and jacks up the price but you can't juts not buy those. But EBMM redefined the whole concept of signature guitars. A JP is a JP and it isn't like any other guitars in the EBMM model line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    ...you need the tool that fits you.
    That's exactly how I feel - a guitar is a tool...these ebmm tools suit me just fine.

2019 Albert Lee - BFR - Electric Shimmer
    2019 Axis SS semi hollow - DuBaldo Blue - rosewood neck
    2019 StingRay fretless - BFR - Sierra Vintage Burst
    2018 Axis SS - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Ann
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle
    - rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2010 Axis SS - red flame - rosewood neck
    2009 Axis - pink quilt
    2006 StingRay fretless - 30th Ann
    2000 Axis SS - Lavender Pearl
    1996 StingRay - 20th Ann
    1995 Albert Lee - Jim Messina’s

User Info Menu

I'll also say that if you don't like a company's logo or sig ... a small piece of electrical tape does wonders. Problem solved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Here is the funny thing...if a guitar makes you play better or feel better I cant understand why the name is an issue...you need the tool that fits you.
    This is a really great point, BP! For YEARS I refused to play a signature model guitar even though there had been several that I thought would be great for me. This even included John's signature Ibanez guitar, even though, at that time, I knew him personally! So, the main reason was that I didn't want to be seen as a "wannabe." I have a feeling that this is the predominant stumbling block for those who refuse to play a signature model. Ironically, there were even some signature models that I liked despite not really liking the artist.

I finally came to the realization that I needed particular tools for particular jobs and tried to swallow the fact that it was someone else's name on the headstock (and not mine!). Then it hit me that these guys really should be given credit for their creative and practical input into the design process. "Gibson" is somebody's name; "Fender" is somebody's name. . .

I happen to admire and respect the two artists whose names are on the headstocks of my two electrics now. And now I have two fantastic guitars that play better than anything else I've had (including some very high end boutique stuff) and do exactly what I want and need them to do. I love my EBMM guitars codeveloped by SM and JP. You guys all, collectively, ROCK!

Thank you!!!

User Info Menu

I'm fine with the name on it, especially the John Petrucci signature guitar. I love John Petrucci, and I love Ernie ball guitars, and I love the signature model. It's all of John's specs put into a guitar to make it suited to him. since it is a guitar that has been designed specifically to meet certain needs, this makes it very well tuned for the kind of playing I like. And thats why I love these guitars!

User Info Menu

I saw Joe Bonamassa playing a Steve Morse sig model.

And I still ask myself, "Who the hell is this Carl Bongo person?"

User Info Menu

biff bongo stupid.
    Two requests, please
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I feel honoured to play a guitar that Steve Morse had a hand in designing. I don't if there is a more versatile, great feeling guitar on the marked for the same price. It looks good too!
    Last edited by JDguitar; 02-15-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    dob:12/29/11

EBMM Sterling 4 string - Carbon Blue Pearl
    dob:04/07/05

User Info Menu

Yeah same here, I feel honored to play John Petrucci's guitar. haha