Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Must-have Bass Effects/Pedals?

This is a discussion on Must-have Bass Effects/Pedals? within the Music Man Basses forums, part of the Gear Talk category; I've played bass for a few years but I haven't ventured in to the "effects realm" of bass-playing. Are there ...

AznKenshin is offline Registered User Newbie

Must-have Bass Effects/Pedals?

I've played bass for a few years but I haven't ventured in to the "effects realm" of bass-playing.

Are there important effects or pedals that any bass player should have? What about compressors?

Specific recommendations based on past (or present!) experience would be helpful.

Thanks!

stoneboy26 is offline Registered User Junior Member
    Hey - I am a big FX junky. Honestly this probably isn't the best forum to ask the question (as it is an Ernie Ball forum), but I am sure there are people here like my self who use them and if Big Poppa or the mods have an issue we will find out soon enough.

IMO - there are no important FX for bass, just what works for the music you play. I have never used a compressor for any more than 5 mins in over 10 years of playing. I do however use plenty of OD and fuzz (currently 2 of each on my board - EBS Multidrive, VT Bass, HBE Hematoma and Way Huge Swollen Pickle). I find chorus to be really nice, expecially on things where there is a lot of space. I had the EHX Small Clone for years, but like the Visual Sound H2O and a few others I've played. And you gotta have a filter - I have a Q-Tron at the moment for my funky sounds, and a wah!!

But seriously, as far as I am concerned, anything goes. Try whatever you can get your hands on, as what works in my situation might not work in yours - although the VT Bass pedal would be a good start for any OD type sounds.

I am about to go rack with my fx (aside from my OD/fuzz pedals) and get a G-Major2 or G-Force
    Bongo 5HH Lava Pearl
    94 Stingray 5H
    TecAmp Puma 1000 w/S212 cab
    Too many FX (or not enough maybe)

mmbassplayer is online now Registered User Senior Member
    Im old fashioned... cord straight to my Markbass. Guess that is kinda rare for the sub-30 bass crowd these days. JOSH
    BONGO 4H Honey Burst (2012 PDN)
    STERLING 4HH Dargie Delight
    JP50 Stealth W/ Dimarzio LF/CL
    Former owner of...
    BONGO 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp (Small EQ), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (BFR Roasted)
    25TH 5HH (Venetian Red), BIG AL 4SSS (Olive Gold),
    STINGRAY 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie), 4H (VSB/BFR RW), 5H (08 LE),
    STERLING 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)

I play my Balls through Markbass amps! :
    Rest In Peace Erin Payne.

oli@bass is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Must have? None!

That said, I have lots of fun with overdrive, phaser, octaver and auto-wah
    Have bass. Will play.
    Looking for Sessions in Switzerland. Area: Züri/Winti/Rappi

Music Man Collection Essentials
    MarkBass F1, SansAmp RBI, MarkBass Standard 104HR; MoMark (T1M/42S/MVV)@500, NY604; Minimark
    Holding down the bottom end for Redsteam

Sting is offline Registered User Junior Member
    Must have? None.
    Useful? Tuner.

I do on occasion use octave or chorus, but only once in a while for certain things.
    2008 Electric Blue Stingray 5 HH

coastie72 is offline Registered User Junior Member
    The tuner is it for me!
    God is Great! and I am Blessed!
    25th Anniversary 5HH DOB 10/14/09
    1981 Gibson Victory Artist
    Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.0
    Genz Benz 212T NEOX & 112T Neox

Northray is offline Registered User Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AznKenshin View Post
    I've played bass for a few years but I haven't ventured in to the "effects realm" of bass-playing.

Are there important effects or pedals that any bass player should have? What about compressors?

Specific recommendations based on past (or present!) experience would be helpful.

Thanks!
    I bought a number of effects, but I haven't found any that are essential for what I do (country and classic rock). I do like to fool around with flange and chorus, though, especially for 80's tunes...
    StingRay H (Vintage Sunburst/Maple FB)
    Classic StingRay H (Lake Tahoe Blue/Maple FB)
    StingRay 5 H (Natural/Maple FB)
    Markbass LMIII/104HF Standard

LuvMusic is offline Registered User Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneboy26 View Post
    Hey - I am a big FX junky. Honestly this probably isn't the best forum to ask the question (as it is an Ernie Ball forum), but I am sure there are people here like my self who use them and if Big Poppa or the mods have an issue we will find out soon enough.

IMO - there are no important FX for bass, just what works for the music you play. I have never used a compressor for any more than 5 mins in over 10 years of playing. I do however use plenty of OD and fuzz (currently 2 of each on my board - EBS Multidrive, VT Bass, HBE Hematoma and Way Huge Swollen Pickle). I find chorus to be really nice, expecially on things where there is a lot of space. I had the EHX Small Clone for years, but like the Visual Sound H2O and a few others I've played. And you gotta have a filter - I have a Q-Tron at the moment for my funky sounds, and a wah!!

But seriously, as far as I am concerned, anything goes. Try whatever you can get your hands on, as what works in my situation might not work in yours - although the VT Bass pedal would be a good start for any OD type sounds.

I am about to go rack with my fx (aside from my OD/fuzz pedals) and get a G-Major2 or G-Force
    +1 on this advice....depends on what you're tryig to do with your sound. If you want to read up I suggest TalkBass.com. There is an Effects Forum there with TONS of information.

For OD and fuzzy goodness, this is a good place to start BassFuzz.com

Be careful, many who have ventured to these sites have never returned!!
    SBMM SB14
    Fender P
    Squire Tele Bass
    MB 102P Combo

adouglas is offline Registered User Senior Member
    On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
    I've ventured down the FX road over the years as many of us have, and have come to the conclusion that all you really need is a great bass.

Less

Is

More.
    bongoBbongoObongoNbongoGbongoObongo

AL AL AL AL ALALALALALALA LA LA LA LA

Desert Gold F13843 05 Bongo 5 HHp
    Blue Dawn F11199 07 LE Bongo 5 Hp fretless
    Candy Red F23343 08 Bongo 5 H
    Tangerine Pearl F28251 2011 Big Al 5 SSS

http://www.coolshoesband.com

BP: "I am very proud of many of the creations at ebmm but none more than the Bongo. Every day the cult grows and it makes it all worthwhile."

Powman is offline Registered User Senior Member
    When I started out playing bass I tried a bunch of pedals...distortion, chorus, synth. I sold them all....

I only have a Sansamp rackmount. I do have a compressor, but I set the kneepoint level quite high. It just kicks in when I do something stupid (i.e. it just gets rid of transients). I am questioning the need for that and may get rid of that too.

So I agree with the others...There is very little need for effects pedals for bass. Even if I was playing more metal stuff, I still feel a cleaner bass tone is all that is needed. The guitarist already have cranked up the distortion levels that a distorted bass sound just gets in the way.
    Black BIG AL 4SSS
    White Pearl Big Al 4SSS.
    Little Mark Tube 800

Old_Guy is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AznKenshin View Post

Thanks!
    Aside from a tuner, I occasionally use a VT bass pedal with the 'light' rig. VT does a pretty good job of making a solid state amp and neo cabs sound like a Ampeg B-15N. If you need a compressor and want to go pedal-board style, the EBS comp is probably the best choice. I have mine set for minimal compression and just leave it on, it's one of things that you'd only notice (slightly) if I turned it off.
    Bongo 4 HS Radiance Red LTD
    Bongo 5 HHP Cabernet Pearl
    Big Al 4 SSS Sparkle Green
    Sterling 4 HS Cherryburst
    Mesa V-12 PH 4x10
    MarkBass MoMark
    Accugroove Tri115
    Accugroove Bill Dickens Signature 2x12

Jim_F is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Spend the money first of all on top quality bass and amp.
    After that, what styles of music / sounds are you trying to nail?
    Effects are a very personal thing, try before you buy (preferably through a similar setup to your home bass / amp combo).
    Personally I use a decent tuner. (Floor based rather than rack) - Korg good and affordable.
    Into a chorus (for a bit of 80s sparkle)
    then a Overdrive / Distortion (for the rockier stuff) - I am pretty happy with my EHX Little Big Muff, when I come to replace this I will probably go for the newer EHX Bass Big Muff
    then Akai UniBass (for octaves / dist / filling in during lead breaks)
    then an Akai Deep Impact (synth pedal - used sparingly)
    Personally I don't use compressor live, have used a bit of compression in the studio.
    Musicman Stingray 2005 Ltd Edition (Buttercream / tort)
    Aria SB1000
    Hohner B2A

Markbass Minimark

Akai Deep Impact
    Akai UniBass
    Ibanez CS9 Chorus
    EHX Little Big Muff
    Korg Dt10 Tuner

bassmonkey is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Octaver(Boss OC2) very occasionally.

I am in the process of building a Mutron clone. Hopefully I can get it to work.
    '97 Fretless Stingray 4
    '06 Fretted 30th Anniversary Stingray
    Dual H Bongo 5 Teal Pearl
    20th Anniversary SR5 HS
    HS Bongo 5 Carbon Blue Pearl

My Youtube videos

jaylegroove is offline Registered User Senior Member
    I currently use :

- Fender PT100 tuner
    - EHX Bass Big Muff
    - BOSS LS2 (for blending dry signal with Big Muffed signal)
    - EHX Micro Q Tron
    - Tech 21 Sansamp Character VT Bass (for kind of SVT emulation)

Then, must haves depend pretty much on which musical project you are involved in. You may need chorus, overdrive, octaver, delay, mooger fooger, or any other effect.

That said, I'm not what can be called an FX-nut, and the few I have are also the maximum I guess I'll ever have.
    So many changes coming in an ordinary bass player's life :
    - New cover band soon
    - New rock band soon
    - New trio soon
    - New bass soon (he he he...)

"asking your soundman to go easy on the sub is like asking britney spears to wear panties" Big Poppa

steve f is offline Registered User Junior Member
    No FX here - I did enjoy exploring BassFuzz.com though.
    I wouldn't mind giving the 3 Leaf Groove Regulator a try sometime.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast