Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1x12 or 2x12?

This is a discussion on 1x12 or 2x12? within the Music Man Guitars forums, part of the Gear Talk category; Recently, I had the opportunity to play with a loaner Marshall 1x12 for several weeks, which I "converted" into an ...

Eilif is offline Registered User Senior Member

Question 1x12 or 2x12?

Recently, I had the opportunity to play with a loaner Marshall 1x12 for several weeks, which I "converted" into an extension cabinet for my F-30 1x12. It was really the first time I ever played through more than one speaker, and the fullness of the sound was great! I enjoyed it so much that I am thinking of picking up an extension cabinet but don't know if I should get a 1x12 or a 2x12.

So I'd like to hear from the voices of experience. Will I be giving up anything by not getting a 1x12 and by instead going with a 2x12?

Silhouette (2014 PDN)
    Stingray HS (SLO Special)
    Ernie Ball Strings

"Jeff Porcaro's equipment speaks for itself"

Sub1 Zero is offline Registered User Senior Member
    I would go with a 2x12 myself, I think it would be more useful if you ever play with a band or live

Epiphone Goth 1958 Explorer - Satin Black
    Custom Explorer - White

Saving for the perfect Silo

Vox AD50

GHWelles is offline Registered User Senior Member
    2x12 really opens up the sound
    WONDER DOG

20th Silo, w/trem, Koa top
    JP6 in Graphite Pearl

Cobalts Installed

roburado is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah. 2 x 12 is great, I think. Sometimes, there are big 2x12s that sound, well...bigger too. Maybe, look into something like that.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

fsmith is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Go 2x12... I love my Avatar cab.

fred
    Play Ball!!

pantalaimon is offline Registered User Junior Member
    with a 2x12 you also have the opportunity to play around with stereo effects if you need them. there are some really nice stereo chorus effects for example. i'd go for a 2x12!

JMB27 is offline Registered User Senior Member
    soundwise, I would go with the 2x12 cab. as noted already, it will allow you to experiment with stereo effects and give an overall bigger projection than a 1x12.

personally, I would also suggest checking out some of the 2x10 cabs on the market - depending on what sorts of tunes and tones you are workin' with

just my .02, ymmv, etc. etc. etc.

happy shopping, eh!

Joel
    Fan of:

Dr Z Amps
    EBMM Guitars
    Lizard Leg Effects

roburado is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsmith View Post
    Go 2x12... I love my Avatar cab.

fred
    Avatars seem like a great deal. When I finally get around to taking Bruce Egnater's amp-building class, I think I'm going to get an Avatar cab for the amp I build.

What speakers do you have, Fred?
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

fsmith is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Rob,
    I bought the Premier open back cabinet in green to match my Mesa Stiletto Ace with a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60.

I'm thinking about buying another one with a pair of Celestion Blues or Golds.

I thought the price was right and the workmanship is first class all the way.

fred
    Play Ball!!

candid_x is offline Registered User Senior Member
    I prefer 2 1x12 cabs over 1 2x12 cab.

hbucker is offline Registered User Senior Member
    IMO it depends on how you'll use it. Over time, don't discount the portability of a 1x12 and the ease with which you can get it to rehearsals and gigs.

As for sound, the kind of speaker makes more difference than the number of speakers. And for large gigs you'll probably mic your cab anyway. Most of the time you'll only be micing one speaker.

I like 2x12's but I think some of what people talk about with regards to 2 being better than one is lore on some level. If none of what I say resonates with you, buy the 2x12 and cut to the chase. I just can't state point blank that you'll get enough out of the 2x12 to justify the price and size difference.

It's all good. Let us know what you decide.

JMB27 is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by candid_x View Post
    I prefer 2 1x12 cabs over 1 2x12 cab.
    hmmmm 3 single 12s? 1 in combo and 2 separate cabs? with the right length of cable and some effects, I think that would probably be one kick-ass set-up for tones ....

d'oh! now I'm thinking about extra cabs when I should be thinking about more gee-tars
    Last edited by JMB27; 07-25-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: mis-sing letters and words
    Fan of:

Dr Z Amps
    EBMM Guitars
    Lizard Leg Effects

candid_x is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilif View Post
    Will I be giving up anything by not getting a 1x12 and by instead going with a 2x12?
    I guess this depends on what you like, but I find the following:

Separate 1x12 cabs (or 1x12 ext with a combo) isolates each speaker, which prevents them from canceling out frequencies from each other or creating uncontrolled harmonic distortion. There's an actual term for this, but I don't recall it.

Running a combo plus a 2x12 ext cab may present ohm mismatch. Need to check ohm compatibility.

1x12 ext cab is easier to tote around, either with a head or a combo. Very handy for practices, jams or recording gigs.

You have more control of speaker placement (with a head), including stereo effect, should you wish.

Just my preference.
    Last edited by candid_x; 07-25-2007 at 12:43 PM.

radrock is offline Registered User Senior Member
    3x12!!!
    Happily Own
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Purple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Red #88845 (7/05/96)
    Axis Hardtail Transparent Amber #G03900 (10/21/98)

Larry is offline Registered User Senior Member
    2x12 its opener and seems louder to me that a 1x12

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast