Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sterling JP50

This is a discussion on Sterling JP50 within the Music Man Guitars forums, part of the Gear Talk category; Originally Posted by Tung Hi all, Been lurking around here for sometimes, it's a great board. I was ordering the ...

browndog is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tung View Post
    Hi all,
    Been lurking around here for sometimes, it's a great board.
    I was ordering the Sterling here in Toronto before they were even available. I originally ordered the AX40, but decided to go with the JP50 instead. Just a great guitar for the money, holds up on gigs and studio alike.
    I'm curious about doing a pick up switch as well. I've read a full Crunch Lab/Liquid Fire review here, they seem really promising. But the pups on there are pretty good, so I want something to really take it to another level.
    Just ask Pat Park from Praxil. He swapped his pick-ups for JPís Dimarzios. Its cheaper than you think.
    Albert Lee HH - Classic White

Tung is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by browndog View Post
    Just ask Pat Park from Praxil. He swapped his pick-ups for JP’s Dimarzios. Its cheaper than you think.
    Thanks Browndog, I've talked to Pat couple times regarding the JP50. I don't mind spending the $, problem is I want to try the Crunch Lab/Liquid Fire, test driving them but nobody has the new JP6 that comes with them yet.
    BTW You bought the AX40 that Steve's originally brought in for me. That's a great guitar, man. I hope you're enjoying it. I spent a lot of time in the store AB this guitar and the JP50. I decided on the JP50, but the AX40 you got had an amazing set up on it. The action was great, plays like butter. I saw one that they brought in shortly after and the set up was horrendous.
    Here's a live clip of my JP50. Excuse the loose playing, it's an afternoon jazz gig and it definitely wasn't rehearsed, it's more like a jam:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQZNsjHZ0N4"]YouTube - well you needn't[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRFInJBxuvI"]YouTube - Noche Y Luz- Saigon Club version[/ame]
    Last edited by Tung; 10-25-2009 at 04:31 PM.

browndog is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks Browndog, I've talked to Pat couple times regarding the JP50. I don't mind spending the $, problem is I want to try the Crunch Lab/Liquid Fire, test driving them but nobody has the new JP6 that comes with them yet.
    BTW You bought the AX40 that Steve's originally brought in for me. That's a great guitar, man. I hope you're enjoying it. I spent a lot of time in the store AB this guitar and the JP50. I decided on the JP50, but the AX40 you got had an amazing set up on it. The action was great, plays like butter. I saw one that they brought in shortly after and the set up was horrendous.
    Here's a live clip of my JP50. Excuse the loose playing, it's an afternoon jazz gig and it definitely wasn't rehearsed, it's more like a jam:
    YouTube - well you needn't
    YouTube - Noche Y Luz- Saigon Club version
    I knew that someone else had an AX40 on order... small world eh.

When I got mine they had one on display and I got mine right out of the box. I wasn’t crazy about the quilt top on the one on display but I gave a big sigh of relief when he opened my box. The quilt was excellent!

And yes the set up was perfect. It was in tune with perfect intonation and the neck was straight as an arrow. The frets were perfectly aligned with no sharp edges. All in All just a great guitar

With Namm coming up in a few months, Im hoping for a white JP50 if I cant afford a Mystic Dream.
    Last edited by browndog; 10-26-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    Albert Lee HH - Classic White

redeleon is offline Registered User Junior Member

woah, thats you?
    I viewed those videos a number of times so that I could hear the JP50,
    loved the way you guys play! I enjoyed it a lot! even bookmarked those 2 videos here on my pc

-----

Anyway, haha that's also been my prob,
    I dont know someone who has tried the LF and the CL Dimarzios on their JP6 or
    even a Basswood guitar

like I said Pickups here costs a fortune

I just wish stores now has a test unit or probably come up with something wherein you can test or try out different combinations of pickups

** 4 DAYS TO GO BEFORE MY JP50 ARRIVES! **
    Last edited by redeleon; 10-25-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    --------------
    Rafael de Leon
    Philippines

Sterling Music Man - JP50 with WD Trem Stabilizer

Please do check out my band:
    Oh Man! Oh God!

if you have facebook please "like" it

Quote Originally Posted by redeleon View Post
    woah, thats you?
    I viewed those videos a number of times so that I could hear the JP50,
    loved the way you guys play! I enjoyed it a lot! even bookmarked those 2 videos here on my pc

-----

Anyway, haha that's also been my prob,
    I dont know someone who has tried the LF and the CL Dimarzios on their JP6 or
    even a Basswood guitar

like I said Pickups here costs a fortune

I just wish stores now has a test unit or probably come up with something wherein you can test or try out different combinations of pickups

** 4 DAYS TO GO BEFORE MY JP50 ARRIVES! **
    thanks a lot, man. It's just a loose jazz jam, BTW our DJ in the band is Filipino
    You wouldn't be dissapointed with the JP50. The stock pick ups are pretty good, upgrading them will be like hot rodding an already good car.
    I got a lot of guitars! But right now I'm really digging the JP50. Done a bunch of gigs with it already, it holds up well.

thanks a lot, man. It's just a loose jazz jam, BTW our DJ in the band is Filipino
    You wouldn't be dissapointed with the JP50. The stock pick ups are pretty good, upgrading them will be like hot rodding an already good car.
    I got a lot of guitars! But right now I'm really digging the JP50. Done a bunch of gigs with it already, it holds up well.
    Really? wow.
    tell him I said hi from a fellow kababayan haha!

Thanks for the review bro,
    definitely excited for mine to arrive, just 4 more days
    --------------
    Rafael de Leon
    Philippines

Oh Man! Oh God!

patpark is offline Registered User Senior Member
    good stuff Tung!

telemike is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Realy good stuff
    2004 EBMM Sub-1 Red Dual HB Trem

2008 Fender Natural Ash Telecaster
    2001/2008 Parts-O-Caster Tele
    Jet City JCA2112RC 20 watt Tube Combo

thanks very much. It seems like there's not much out there on the JP50, so I thought i post these clips with the guitar. Just a loose jazz gig, but it'll show you guys that the JP50 is pretty cool, can hold up on a gig and can be versatile as well.
    Pat at Sterling is great, he was really helpful with my questions. I really like the AX40 too. I'll post some more clips with more serious playing on the JP50. It's probably one of the best guitar I ever purchased for the price .

Tony1326 is offline Registered User Newbie

Jp50

Tung;

Great playing my friend.

I had a chance to play the JP50 just yesterday at Guitar Center here in MI. I have to tell you... I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!! I just noticed it hanging next to the Line 6 amps. Plugged it in and it played like butter. The price was about $775.00 which was not bad at all for what you get. The action was perfect and the sound was awesome. I want to get this one and the Sterling AX40 and then one day get the Music Man JP. But for now the JP50 will handle my needs very well. I have an Ibanez Rg220 which I will be trading (or selling) very soon.

Peace.... Tony

telemike is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Can you make the trem non-floating?
    2004 EBMM Sub-1 Red Dual HB Trem

2008 Fender Natural Ash Telecaster
    2001/2008 Parts-O-Caster Tele
    Jet City JCA2112RC 20 watt Tube Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1326 View Post
    Tung;

Great playing my friend.

I had a chance to play the JP50 just yesterday at Guitar Center here in MI. I have to tell you... I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!! I just noticed it hanging next to the Line 6 amps. Plugged it in and it played like butter. The price was about $775.00 which was not bad at all for what you get. Tony
    Tony,
    First off, thanks very much for your kind words.
    You should look around, the Sterling are only $550 when they came out, have you look at Musician Friend? I paid $659 Canadian for my JP50. The AX40 is the same.
    please keep us posted, it's a great deal and great guitar

damn, my Sterling JP50 should've arrived yesterday..
    its just because of the damn typhoon that hits Philippines,
    resulting a delay in the shipment..! argh!

expecting my JP50 on tuesday!
    yeah!
    --------------
    Rafael de Leon
    Philippines

Oh Man! Oh God!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Can you make the trem non-floating?

the trem sits in a recessed cavity, so it won't rest agianst the top of the body like a vintage style trem

you could block the tremelo block in the spring cavity (back side of body) with a small block of wood that is fitted or use something a like a Tremol-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1326 View Post
    Tung;

Great playing my friend.

I had a chance to play the JP50 just yesterday at Guitar Center here in MI. I have to tell you... I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!! I just noticed it hanging next to the Line 6 amps. Plugged it in and it played like butter. The price was about $775.00 which was not bad at all for what you get. The action was perfect and the sound was awesome. I want to get this one and the Sterling AX40 and then one day get the Music Man JP. But for now the JP50 will handle my needs very well. I have an Ibanez Rg220 which I will be trading (or selling) very soon.

Peace.... Tony
    Hi Tony.
    The street selling pricein the USA is $549. The retail list price is closer to $779.

Glad you like it.

Thanks
    Pat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast