Finishing question: gunstock oil or wax, or both?

This is a discussion on Finishing question: gunstock oil or wax, or both? within the Music Man Guitars forums, part of the Gear Talk category; I got a Warmoth neck on the way (don't shoot me ), and according to their website it's "dipped in ...

jscomposer is offline Registered User Newbie

Question Finishing question: gunstock oil or wax, or both?

I got a Warmoth neck on the way (don't shoot me ), and according to their website it's "dipped in an oil based penetrating sealer which is compatible with virtually all secondary finishes.... We strongly recommend you apply a hard finish." The rep on the phone told me I could apply gunstock oil to make a hard finish and extend their warranty. I did some research on it which led me to Ernie Ball's FAQs, and here.

So I'm wondering, if they already applied an oil-based sealer, wouldn't I need to apply gunstock wax to make a hard finish? Could I or should I skip the gunstock oil if they already applied oil-based sealer?

walleye is offline Registered User Senior Member
    is it a maple neck?

Maple neck, pau ferro fretboard.

Spudmurphy is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Apply the oil - wipe it on with a paper towel - leave for as long as it takes you to tear off another piece of towel (not long!!) and wipe off. Don't apply too much and don't leave it on for a long period (trust me on this - I did and it went "gloopy".)

Same application with the wax.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs
    6lb 1 oz VSB SSS Hardtail Albert Lee KTS Titanium saddles 2009; Red EVH Hardtail 1993;Mesa F50 Combo; Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;Fender BJ 15W;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

zombywoof is offline Banned
    sell it and buy a MusicMan

azazael is offline Banned
    Wasting BP's bandwidth to talk about a Warmoth neck?
    Priceless.

Jack FFR1846 is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Gunstock oil is a finish. EBMM uses Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

Once that's cured, any carnauba wax can be applied.

If the neck already has a finish, you might want to remove that first, if you are looking for a "bare wood" feel.

Picture of the Musicman guitar you're putting this neck on???
    8/17/04 EBMM Axis SS MM90 trans blue (spaceball 3000)
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    07 Albert Lee SSS Black Cherry Burst
    buncha non-ebmm guitars
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
    Gunstock oil is a finish. EBMM uses Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

Once that's cured, any carnauba wax can be applied.

If the neck already has a finish, you might want to remove that first, if you are looking for a "bare wood" feel.

Picture of the Musicman guitar you're putting this neck on???
    It'll be a strat.

LOL. If I could afford a JP7, I'd get one.

I don't think I'll bother removing the sealer that Warmoth applies. So should I just apply the Birchwood Casey gun stock wax I got? FWIW, I'm not fussy about bare wood feel vs glossy feel. I've played both types of finishes and don't have a preference.

If it is anything like my Musikraft necks (better than Warmoth for future reference) then it will have what is known as Shellac on it. It will have a sort of satin feel.
    You can remove this easily with chemicals.
    Then you can do what you want.

Jack FFR1846 is offline Registered User Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
    LOL. If I could afford a JP7, I'd get one.

I don't think I'll bother removing the sealer that Warmoth applies. So should I just apply the Birchwood Casey gun stock wax I got? FWIW, I'm not fussy about bare wood feel vs glossy feel. I've played both types of finishes and don't have a preference.
    First you do the tru oil (gunstock oil) and then after it cures, you put on the wax.

Even if you don't remove the existing finish, it will hurt nothing. Oil on a paper towel....wipe on. Wait 45 seconds, wipe off. Wait a few minutes, repeat. Wait a week, wax.
    8/17/04 EBMM Axis SS MM90 trans blue (spaceball 3000)
    7/29/04 EBMM Sub1 X11376 oil/wax neck, gloss black body, faux binding, HSS w/5 way and silent circuit
    07 Albert Lee SSS Black Cherry Burst
    buncha non-ebmm guitars
    keep in mind that you are talking about four pieces of wood two pots one switch a trem along with springs two pickups and some wire.....BP

Slowlicks is offline Registered User Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azazael View Post
    If it is anything like my Musikraft necks (better than Warmoth for future reference) then it will have what is known as Shellac on it. It will have a sort of satin feel.
    You can remove this easily with chemicals.
    Then you can do what you want.
    Okay az, This is the olive branch. Tell us why a Musikcraft neck is better than Warmoth.
    Last edited by Slowlicks; 07-10-2010 at 12:07 PM.

kbaim is offline Registered User Senior Member
    on one of my music man guitars i used KLASSE car wax. its a german product and always makes my car look great (using it since the early 80's) so i gave it a shot on a guitar neck that needed a new waxing.

Worked great but im not even sure if i shoulda used it on wood as its not carnuba...but its lasted more than 2 years now with lots of playing time.
    KEITH
    Currently playing my Open House CBP Piezo Luke
    w an EMG 89 bridge pickup

jamminjim is offline Registered User Senior Member
    My Musikraft neck came nude - and not all of them come with shellac, it's up to the buyer. Shellac can be removed with denatured alcohol and the process can be helped along with some 400 grit sandpaper.
    I lightly tinted mine and then shot gloss clear lacquer on the headstock and tru-oiled and waxed the rest of it ala EBMM.