• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Allergci1025

Hello all, happy holidays to you!
Longtime lurker and recent member, I currently have a 2017 Stingray guitar in vintage tobacco which is one of the nicest guitars I’ve ever owned, including a Cutlass, PRS CE24 from the 90’s, Gibsons, Charvel, etc. there’s really not much comparison, EBMM makes incredible instruments!

I love my stingray and find the neck to be super comfy but I sometimes think I might enjoy a slightly wider fretboard. Hence my interest in the Sabre. Electronically they are very different guitars, and the sabres have fancier tops but how would you compare the two guitars tonally and from a playability standpoint? How would you say the necks feel compared to each other? Do the Sabres have a lot of shoulder? I don’t like thin D necks with wide shoulders, but having a little extra room on the fretboard is welcome!

Last edited:

racerx

Welcome! I own both and you are correct that the Sabre is a touch wider at the nut. The Sabre is noticeably thinner than the StingRay. The Sabre feels similar to a flat D shape up to the 9th fret or so then beefs up. The Sabre's shoulders/edges are more prominent than the Ray and most EBMM guitars I've encountered. The StingRay feels much fuller in the hand, has a soft V/C shape, and less noticeable edges. From a sound perspective they are similar (both of mine are "pre-HT" but I imagine the HT iterations of both would sound similar when compared against one another).

Allergci1025

Thanks for that info, super useful. I have a lead on a 2021 Gatorburst Sabre that is absolutely gorgeous and am thinking about getting it but I’d hate to let go of my Stingray if the Sabre isn’t that much of a better instrument.

racerx

Thanks for that info, super useful. I have a lead on a 2021 Gatorburst Sabre that is absolutely gorgeous and am thinking about getting it but I’d hate to let go of my Stingray if the Sabre isn’t that much of a better instrument.
Better is tough to say - like comparing chocolate vs. peanut butter - both are great but its a preference.

Allergci1025

Well for anyone still reading I bought a Sabre in gator burst for a brief time. As beautiful as it was I could not bond with it at all. I felt like the Stingray had a stronger more interesting character in playability and tone, whereas the Sabre was wonderfully made but seemed soulless. No disrespect intended as I know EBMM = quality and I know there are many happy Sabre owners out there. It just didn't capture me like I hoped it would, so my Stingray is staying for the long haul.

jlf599

I had the opposite reaction. I just traded my Stingray this week. I just didn't find it comfortable to play, really.

To each their own, though!

Top Bottom