• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nervous

Well, thanks my weakness to suggestive pictures, to all the bad influences in this forum and relentless Roy Ziv shorts on YouTube over the last few months I got the bug for a Silhouette Special. Pair that with my other developing hobby of 'rescuing' and restoring older EBMM guitars, which has provided me with wonderful mental exercising the last few years, I found a 2001 blue pearl Silhouette Special HSS at a price I am comfortable enough with that I am hoping will scratch both itches nicely. Overall condition looks acceptable as a platform for possible restoration, but also looks like it may be just fine left as is with some minor touchup and repairs, cleaning, polishing and setup. I will know more as I spend some time with it.

But enough babbling, here is what most folks came to see:

EBMM SS (1).jpg EBMM SS (2).jpg

A couple neck pocket cracks:
EBMM SS (5).jpg EBMM SS (6).jpg

Ding on the upper horn:
EBMM SS (10).jpg EBMM SS (9).jpg

Small top front edge ding:
EBMM SS (15).jpg

And the most bothersome small area of impact damage on top:
EBMM SS (16).jpg

Stay tuned.

nervous

Very cool! I saw that one on reverb. Overall I think it'll clean up really nicely. In fact I think once the fingerboard and frets are cleaned up it'll be fantastic without touching up the paint.
I am coming to this perspective as well. The front and back are clean. Just some cosmetic edge issues which I historically have a hard time letting lie though. It could simply be more of a matter of finding a close color match paint or nail polish, CA glue treat the edges to secure, drop fill the couple worst areas, sand and polish to at least minimize their visibility. But initially the cosmetic issues take a back seat to my usual front to back going through, cleaning, polishing, fret checks, fixing where needed, level and polish, then setting up with some new strings and hopefully playing it through the spring and summer work to make sure it's something I'd keep. Then see what comes next cosmetically, if anything. I was cool with everything except that area of impact on the top. Wondering if that would steam back into shape at a minimum but I think that area is a bit larger than one would usually use steam to raise. All original was an important factor though.

GWDavis28

Really, man, you know you want to refinish that bad boy!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I love my Silo Specials. Still searching for the ultimate Blue guitar (Pete D know what I'm talking about).

Glenn |B)

nervous

Really, man, you know you want to refinish that bad boy!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I love my Silo Specials. Still searching for the ultimate Blue guitar (Pete D know what I'm talking about).

Glenn |B)
Oh, you know that was on the table from the initial consideration to buy! And that is NOT ruled out... :) Good over winter pursuit.

Sweat

Nice , like my silo special, that one is dinged a bit much for my love to help older ones but look forward to seeing what you have in mind

jlf599

So that is a 2001 as well? Looks like it's in great shape. Were the saddles changed? They don't look like the usual EBMM bent metal saddles.
It is indeed 2001 -- November 28th, 2001.

I don't think they're original saddles but it's how I got it. Since I tend to rest my hand on the bridge I lot, I kind of prefer these, though.

GWDavis28

I don't think they're original saddles but it's how I got it. Since I tend to rest my hand on the bridge I lot, I kind of prefer these, though.
They aren't Silo Specials always came with bent saddles unless it had the piezo.

Glenn |B)

nervous

Yes, those appear to be standard Fender 'modern' bridge saddles and look good. I have Hipshot Modern Stainless Steel Guitar Saddles on one of my Axis bridges, available in three different lengths, which fit and function just fine.

IMG_5549.jpg

nervous

Well, this one landed yesterday and after spending a few hours going through everything this one ended up being a real gem. Well set up, little to no noticeable fret wear, Everything works as it should and no surprises. And the most welcome thing is that all the areas of finish concerns ended up in person not being anywhere near as obvious as the sellers pics had them appear. Kudo to the seller for not trying to BS anyone but when I first took it out of its nearly new case I had to look hard for the one area that concerner ne the most, and that exists of a small crease and a set of tiny scratches. Totally surprised me. Finish cracks at the neck the same. Much harder to see in person. All areas I can comfortably overlook and require no immediate, if any ever, action. The two small deeper dings will get some love someday if I can ever find a matching paint or nail polish but a little blue Sharpie has them almost unnoticeable from 3+ feet away. It's really an amazing 23 year old instrument. Very few signs play wear. My refinished Axis' both show more.

So after a few hours of disassembly, checking, cleaning, lubing, polishing, and set up this is what we now have (white switch tip on order...):
IMG_5558a.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg
IMG_5557.jpg

Last edited:

nervous

On a side note, and I am sure no great lightbulb moment for most, but are the Silo Special and the Luke 3 the same body just with slightly different contouring on the horns, Luke being softer/rounder?

2024-04-21_082550.jpg

daneford

Well, thanks my weakness to suggestive pictures, to all the bad influences in this forum and relentless Roy Ziv shorts on YouTube over the last few months I got the bug for a Silhouette Special. Pair that with my other developing hobby of 'rescuing' and restoring older EBMM guitars, which has provided me with wonderful mental exercising the last few years, I found a 2001 blue pearl Silhouette Special HSS at a price I am comfortable enough with that I am hoping will scratch both itches nicely. Overall condition looks acceptable as a platform for possible restoration, but also looks like it may be just fine left as is with some minor touchup and repairs, cleaning, polishing and setup. I will know more as I spend some time with it.

But enough babbling, here is what most folks came to see:

View attachment 43488 View attachment 43489

A couple neck pocket cracks:
View attachment 43490 View attachment 43491

Ding on the upper horn:
View attachment 43493 View attachment 43492

Small top front edge ding:
View attachment 43494

And the most bothersome small area of impact damage on top:
View attachment 43495

Stay tuned.
Did you get that from a dude named Brion? I think I've seen it posted off and on at TGP. That's a nice one.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
On a side note, and I am sure no great lightbulb moment for most, but are the Silo Special and the Luke 3 the same body just with slightly different contouring on the horns, Luke being softer/rounder?

View attachment 43516
Yes, I have always though so. The Body on the LIII is slightly (3%) enlarged relative to the earlier Lukes but otherwise, yes, I thnk tehy are the same excpet for the chamfering.

Dude, that guitar is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!

Top Bottom