• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

HFamilyKid

Does anyone have any ideas on how to modify the bridge position of a JP so that it stops breaking my Nickelwound Hybrid Slinky strings?

I don't use the whammy that much, it's the angle of the strings from the bridge nuckles to the bridge body that probably stresses and breaks them, any ideas appreciated.

Derek

On the Petrucci we use the RPS 10 gauge Slinky. The Ball end has a extra wrap to help with the high tension normally associated with tremelo systems.
We do make the Hybrid set with reinforced plain strings part number #2241. That may be worth a try.

We have not heard of any problems with the Petrucci Trem string path. The bridge design is solid and should not contribute to any gauges breaking. I personally tried a 9-42 set on a Petrucci and have had no problems with any of the strings especially the plain one's.

Every player has a different technique and playing style so its hard to comment on why it might be happening to you. The tremelo design was tested using 10-46 gauge strings as per John's Request.

Let us know if you continue to have trouble.

Derek

Last edited:

HFamilyKid

Should the saddles be totally parallel with the bridge base, mine point up towards the neck direction, this in my opinion increases the angle of the strings at the bridge which I attribute to string breakage. Is it worth my while slightly raising the whole bridge a bit on its two posts and altering the saddles so as they are angled down towards the neck. I reckon i can get about a 5 degree difference in saddle angle from this.

Is it worth it?

Top Bottom