• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Supreeth

Hey Guys,

Wishing everyone a very happy and prosperous new year!

Does someone play the Peavey XXX super 40 EFX amps here? I'd like to learn more since there is an outrageous deal on musiciansfriend. This amp is selling for about 70% off the retail price and I'm doing all I can to avoid pressing the "check out now" button :) If someone can tell me about these amps that will be great. Thanks!

louisgtr

I don't own one, but I've heard some sound clips of the triple xxx that sounded great. They are very much high gain amps, so if that's what you're looking for, it will definitely suit your needs. I've heard alot of good things from people about them, I came real close to buying one myself, but I went with a rack set-up instead. I can't say anything about the built in effects since I have not heard them.

frankiefingaz

I remember playing through the 100 watt head version and wasnt that impressed...but only after pluging in to the jsx head (satriani's peavey amp which is one of the most expressive amps in terms of tone and creamy overdrive that i've ever had the pleasure of playing through.) This was at my local guitar center. But it isnt bad for the price its selling for at musician's friend. I'm sure u could probably mod it and make it sound 100 times better. At least its all tube!!!!

SteveB

I own a XXX head (which is actually 120 watts, not 100), but I haven't played the combo version.

I love the XXX head.. it can produce a nice warm clean sound, and as much gain as you'd ever want. Three channels are nice.. clean, rhythm ("crunch"), and lead.
No onboard reverb on the head, not sure about the combo.
Head has effects send and return loop with send and receive level controls.
Variable dampening lets you really dial up some diverse sounds.
The clean channel EQ is cut/boost (passive) and the other two channels are active "boost only" controls.

All tube... the head weighs in around 50 pounds.

I love mine. The JSX was derived from the XXX. They basically added an onboard noise gate (which I don't need at all with my XXX), and changed the power amp section to EL34's. (The XXX uses 6L6's, but you can swap in EL34's and just throw the 'bias' switch over and it's converted!)

And just to show how subjective this is.. I tried a JSX first and didn't like it!

Supreeth

Thanks Guys, I went to my local music store this afternoon and to my good luck, they had a Super 40 EFX which they were selling for about twice the price that I was getting on musiciansfriend.

SteveB: This version of the amp has three channels, Rhythm, Crunch, and Ultra. The Rhythm channel is the clean channel and it has quite a bit of head room. This amp has a XXX special speaker and not the common Blue Marvel that Peavey puts on their amps. I loved the ultra channel. It has the same amount of gain that the Triple XXX head has on the lead channel (I tried both out with my JP6), and it felt great. I also tried the JSX, but I did not like the lead channel on that. maybe it works for satch, but not for me. Maybe that's what you felt too.

So ultimately, I ordered the XXX combo since musiciansfriend has a 45 day return policy. I'm going to test it out with my rig at home and if I'm not satisfied, I'll return it.

And btw, I'm posting this message at an insane hour 3:37 am....sigh...the rigors of working on a dissertation....I think I'll need to buy a Y2D to cool my nerves down :D

PS: The combo has built in reverb, and also has 9 effects built in with a separate control for delay plus a tap tempo!! All with a full tube pre amp and power amp section!!!

Last edited:

Supreeth

frankiefingaz said:
I remember playing through the 100 watt head version and wasnt that impressed...but only after pluging in to the jsx head (satriani's peavey amp which is one of the most expressive amps in terms of tone and creamy overdrive that i've ever had the pleasure of playing through.) This was at my local guitar center. But it isnt bad for the price its selling for at musician's friend. I'm sure u could probably mod it and make it sound 100 times better. At least its all tube!!!!

You go man....yes, it's an all tube amp, and I felt like throwing out my Peavey classic 30 which is also a great amp by itself. Unfortunately, the JSX just did not do it for me... Like SteveB mentioned, I probably do not like the EL34's when compared to the 6L6's. It's just my two cents, but I totally appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

SteveB

Supreeth,

Cool.. I think that combo will grow on you. It took my ears a few sessions to get comfortable with my XXX. Once I tweaked out each channel to my preference, I loved it!

It's cool to know that the combo has a 'verb and some other onboard effects. I'm sure it'll be a great amp!

And good luck with the dissertation!

CudBucket

I saw that deal and thought about getting one just because the price is so good. I'm in love with the JSX and if the gain is anything like it, this would be a great amp to have on the 2nd floor of my house so I can plug in when I'm not in my gear room.

dannymusic

okay, I'm in on the XXX. to go with my new JP.

I have a GNX4 that I could pop into the effects return JUST in case I don't like the XXX it has a nice power section and sounds very portable.

...don't forget you get free shipping on it. That's worth a bit there too.

dannymusic

thanks Supreeth, nice deal there at $499 shipped.

A nice little firebreather. I'll get the amp broken in a little more. Good match with a JP.

Supreeth

Dannymusic: I'm glad you liked the XXX 40 too. You can't go wrong with the $499 price tag!

I got my XXX amp over the weekend, and I'm still amazed at the sounds I'm able to get out of it at almost no volume. The gain is amazing and so are the tones! I would recommend this amp to anybody :D

mantrarock

Hi I've read a few reviews around. They basically say that the amp is only good for high gain and that the clean/crunch is not that good and it doesn't have a warm tone.

I don't trust them, so I want the opinion of the EBMM forumites :cool: because I am seriously considering buying that amp. I like just having half-way gain (use the ADCD stuff as a reference).

Thanks!

Supreeth

mantrarock said:
Hi I've read a few reviews around. They basically say that the amp is only good for high gain and that the clean/crunch is not that good and it doesn't have a warm tone.

I don't trust them, so I want the opinion of the EBMM forumites :cool: because I am seriously considering buying that amp. I like just having half-way gain (use the ADCD stuff as a reference).

Thanks!

I've only had the amp a few days now, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. The amp's clean channel is not as warm as that of say a Fender twin reverb, but IMHO it has its own charm and I like it a lot. The crunch channel is also good. I could get a nice AC/DC tone out of it with very little tweaking. The lead channel is pure magic with loads of gain and sustain. The good thing is you don't need to turn up the amp to get really good tones. The on board effects are really good too. All in all I'm very happy with it as of now.

beej

For what it's worth I just bought a new amp in Dec and was really debating what to get. At Tommy's many many recommendations I went with a Guytron head and I think I'll probably never own another amp again- the clean and the lead channel are absolutely out of this world. And the design is such that it sounds incredible at low volumes. I see the odd one on eBay and would highly recommend it to anyone in the market. Anway, my two cents ... I'll go away now ...

Rush

I had a chance to demo the Super40 EFX a few months ago. Now be it know that I don't like Peavey or their tone at all, but I give everything a chance.

This amp was great for it's size and would make a great little practice amp. It has two tubes and a proprietary footswitch. The FX were pretty cool and sounded decent, but no reverb AND delay at the same time if I'm not mistaken.

The cleans sound decent at low volumes, but they are pale in comparison to even my Roland Microcube. There isn't much headroom either, and the breakup sounds pretty nasty too.

The high gain sounds were decent, but they had the same buzzy qualities that most Peavey amps have. I personally don't care for this tone at all, so to me it wasn't much to write home about.

The footswitch has a proprietary connector, so you can't control the amp via MIDI or any other footswitch.

The price on the amp back then was $285 used which I thought was fair, but still not worth it to me. I think you're better off with a modeller or one of the Roland cubes IMO.

dannymusic

Actually...

My initial opinion was at low volumes. I got a chance to crank it up at practice and was less impressed. Seemed underpowered to me.

My current hi gain lineups are Valvetech 22W, ADA MP1, Microcube, GNX4 into a EV powered wedge.

I fear that the Peavey won't be able to break into the lineup and is going back. I WANTED to like it. It does do higain very well, but I needed to feed it into a Marshall cab to like it.

I have to rescind my recommendation to a thumbs down.

Supreeth

I am returning mine too, but for a different reason. I live in an apartment and the amp is a little too loud for apartment settings. My neighbors aren't too happy with the new sounds coming out of my bedroom and the Peavey doesn't have a headphone jack. I don't think I have any other option really but to send it back :(

Top Bottom