• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek

Below is a resource you can now use to find the production date of your bass:

SERIAL NUMBER DATABASE

**Please note: We do not have any serial numbers for the Pre-Ernie Ball Music Man instruments in our database. You can check this site for more info on the early Music Man instruments (This site is not run by the Ernie Ball company):

Pre-EB SERIALS

If you have any other questions regarding your instrument, please email Music Man Customer Service at:

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod Trussbroken

The Pre-EB Serial list above is meant as a ready-reckoner and will only give a rough idea of date. It is NOT a complete data base.

Bxxxxxx serials were used on both early EB and Pre-EB Basses but unfortunately no official records exist for these. However, a comparison with similar serials will give a good idea of age. EB Basses have the string retainer on the A&D strings and 4 dot markers past the 12th fret. Pre-EB has the retainer on the D&G with only 3 dot markers. Pre-EB Sting Ray Basses have slab bodies. EB Basses have contoured bodies with a cut-away for the waist.

Last edited:

BigRed

What year is my Stingray?

If you want to find out the age of any pre-Ernie Ball Stinray bass, just take the neck off. The date is stamped into the wood on the neck and body. It's just that simple. I tried to find serial number info on my '78 Stingray to no avail but when I removed the neck to refinish the horribly battered body the date was right there.

eric B

My new sterling:

Black with maple fretboard, matching headstock

serial # F09567

Beth

Hi Eric,

Your Sterling in black with a maple neck, matching headstock and white pickguard was born on 2 March, 2004 in the factory in San Luis Obispo, CA and was originally sold to Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY.

Enjoy!
-Beth

Jazzy J

Ernie Ball: THE GREATEST SERVICE EVER !

I just have to say: it is absolutely stunning the way people at the Ernie Ball company customer service treat their customers. I don't know of any other brand where you can access the 'date of birth' of a bass guitar this easily. It's incredible.
Also the service I got when my bass was late due to some production delay... One word: FANTASTIC ! :D

Keep up the good work Derek, Beth and everyone else back there !!!

J.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.JokeVanAssche.tk

Last edited:

barkatozz

My new sterling is F12725 & is a transparent red, rosewood board & black pearloid p/g. My guess is it's a 2005.....I'll update the thread when I find out.

Beth

Hi Barkatozz,

Your Sterling bass in Translucent red finish with a rosewood neck and black pearloid pickguard was born on 3 March, 2005 in San Luis Obispo, California and was originally sold to Guitar Center.

Enjoy! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
Best regards,
Beth

barkatozz

Beth said:
Hi Barkatozz,

Your Sterling bass in Translucent red finish with a rosewood neck and black pearloid pickguard was born on 3 March, 2005 in San Luis Obispo, California and was originally sold to Guitar Center.

Enjoy! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
Best regards,
Beth
That's where I just bought it from....in Cherry Hill, N.J.
Thanks!

paz117

Man, the Guitar Center in Syracuse NY doesn't have any yet, i love going to those places and check them out.

bdburkh

I have a metallic blue sterling bass with a serial number 38356. Can I get some info on DOB and type of wood. thank you kindly

Rod Trussbroken

Around that time it was either Poplar, Alder or Ash.

It's a 1993 Bass. Probably August (but could be September).

More detail can be obtained by emailing EB Customer Service. Sometimes Derek and Beth pop in though :)

Beth

bdburkh said:
I have a metallic blue sterling bass with a serial number 38356. Can I get some info on DOB and type of wood. thank you kindly

Hi BD,

Your Sterling in Pearl Blue with a maple neck was born on 29 July, 1993 in the San Luis Obispo, California factory and was originally sold to Music Box in Hamden, CT. The wood is probably ash. Looks like your Sterling will be enjoying a birthday soon!

Best regards,
Beth

Beth

whamonkey said:
Want to add my gal to the list!

E44540

SR5 Pacific Blueburst, Black pearloid,Maple, Non painted H/S

DOB please!

Hi Monkey,

This StingRay 5 was born on 17 November, 2004 in the SLO, CA factory and was originally sold to Bass Central in Fern Park, FL. Enjoy!

-Beth

Derek

Sterling bass is 7/29/93 Sorry Gav! The Sterling from the era would of been more than likely ash. Poplar and Alder were available and used sparingly.

Stingray Pacific Blue Burst is 11/17/04

Beth

Derek said:
Sterling bass is 7/29/93 Sorry Gav! The Sterling from the era would of been more than likely ash. Poplar and Alder were available and used sparingly.

Stingray Pacific Blue Burst is 11/17/04

DOUBLE TEAM!!!

higher1

I have to add my girls here...

(I would love a born on date for these)

both sr5's

Honeyburst/ white gaurd '89 (I believe) : 52714
Trans Blue/ FL / white gaurd '88 (I believe) : 50606

the trans blue was originally a fretless. I have since put a moses neck on her. I still have the original neck (no flogging please)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom