• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dougmoser

I want to take my bongo with me to florida and I was wondering if anyone has taken that huge ass case onboard with them and put it in one of the things above the seats. I don't think I can go 2 weeks without playing.

Musicman Nut

dougmoser said:
I want to take my bongo with me to florida and I was wondering if anyone has taken that huge ass case onboard with them and put it in one of the things above the seats. I don't think I can go 2 weeks without playing.

I take mine on the Plane no Problem (( BUT }} I use Levy Leather Gig Bags, you can pile crap on your bass and never hurt it. Your case will have to go under, they won't allow it inside with you. DJ

Aussie Mark

Another option is to unbolt the neck and pack the bass in your suitcase. More often than not, airlines won't allow the average traveller to carry-on a guitar or bass in a gig bag (or hard shell case for that matter). Steinbergers excepted.

revchrisesq

I have carried numerous guitars on airlines. I'd pack it in it's case and don't lock it. If you lock it, airline security may break the locks to check inside. Then ship it just like your luggage.

I've carried a baritone guitar on board, but considered myself lucky. A bass MIGHT fit in the overheads of some plans, but certainly not the puddle jumper commuter planes.

I'd just carry it as luggage, and I'd definitely NOT use a gig bag.

revchrisesq

I have carried numerous guitars on airlines. I'd pack it in its case and don't lock it. If you lock it, airline security may break the locks to check inside. Then ship it just like your luggage.

I've carried a baritone guitar on board, but considered myself lucky. A bass MIGHT fit in the overheads of some planes, but certainly not the puddle jumper commuter planes.

I'd just carry it as luggage, and I'd definitely NOT use a gig bag.

roballanson

Either book an extra seat (which I have done for a double bass before I have the coffin it lives in) or time to buy one of those bass safes, which several people here have recommended.

I wonder - any one know if the Music man case or even Hiscocks cases are up to airline hold handling?

Aussie Mark

roballanson said:
I wonder - any one know if the Music man case or even Hiscocks cases are up to airline hold handling?

Hiscox make mighty fine cases, but I wouldn't trust even a Hiscox case in the hands of the baggage handling gorillas. An ATA case or SKB bass safe is the way to go. In terms of locks, you can buy special padlocks that can be opened for inspection by the airlines using a master key.

shamus63

roballanson said:
Either book an extra seat (which I have done for a double bass before I have the coffin it lives in) or time to buy one of those bass safes, which several people here have recommended.

I have one of the SKB Rolling Bass Safes, and it's a damn-tough case for the money (around $130). I check it in at the counter, and pick it up at the next baggage claim with no worries.

nashman

Doug ... perhaps you might consider renting one in FLA. If you are only going to be there for 2 weeks, it might be a lot less risk and hassle.

Psychicpet

gig bag and an SKB BassSafe, been flying with one for over a year and many flights and never any problems. I think it's due in part to the fact that baggage handlers possibly think it's a rifle and therefore don't mess with it.

:cool:

Steve Dude Barr

nashman said:
Doug ... perhaps you might consider renting one in FLA. If you are only going to be there for 2 weeks, it might be a lot less risk and hassle.

Renting?? Nah...just go to Bass Central, buy a new bass, play it for the two weeks, then have Beaver ship it back to you after the 2 weeks is up.

drgroovenstein

I carried my OLP MM3 on the plane last week. It worked out great, but I know United has a first class closet, and I always get them to stick it in there. I highly doubt they would like you take a hard case on the plane, they'd make you check it.

Top Bottom