• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GassieBall

Greetings Bongoloids!

As I am waiting for my Stealth, more gas pressure is building up. I've only had combo amps :eek: in the past so could you please please please offer advice? Currently I have a F*ender Bassman 250W 1x15" combo which is 250W@4ohms. I'd like to get a 210 cab with a head that could eventually run both the 210 and the 115. I don't have much experience with GK and can't find all the models I want to try at local stores.

Could any body comment on their experiences with the differences between the BackLine series and the Artist series in terms of tone with EBMM?

So far, I'm thinking a 700RB-II head with the 210SBX and plugging my F*nder 115 in below until I get a GK115. Should I consider the RBH? Is that worth it compared to the BackLine 600 and the 210BLX?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Figjam

Definitely go for the artist series. Backline is okay if you are on a tight budget, but the artist series is quite a step above. The 700rb-II would be good, but the 1001rb-II is only a little more expensive, and you get more power if you ever need it. If you know that you wont need that much power, though, you can save the money and stick with the 700.

GassieBall

Figjam,

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that the 1001 is a mere $150 more than the 700. I don't play huge places, but I want the full 1.21 GigaWatts... I know, old reference.

Have you or anyone compared the SBX to the RBH cabs?

koogie2k

I can only tell you this much....

I run my Stealth through a GK 700....4/10....plus some rack stuff like compression, expander, limiter, eq and power conditioner.......I like the tone and I haven't had to adjust it much......she is right where I want it......:cool:

GassieBall

Cool, guys.

Koogie, which series is your 4/10? I like that you didn't have to tweak much. I don't want to fiddle. I just want to play!

koogie2k

GassieBall said:
Cool, guys.

Koogie, which series is your 4/10? I like that you didn't have to tweak much. I don't want to fiddle. I just want to play!

Actually...I don't know the series as it was a used cab...I know it is a GK, I believe it was called the T410? I'll look to see if there is any more information when I go to band practice as my rig is at my drummer's house....I'll let you know. But, keep in mind...it is a much older cab.....wood constructed, with a metal screen front....haven't seen one like it before.....sounds great and was in great condition. :cool:

Motojunkie

That auction link is a great deal imo.

My rig is a combination of a Neo 2x12 and an RBH 115. I think both are fantastic. When I play with my band I always use the 2x12 - sometimes I'll throw the 115 under it. Pure tonewise I prefer the sound of the RBH 115, it's a bit smoother sounding, but only a little bit. I run the tweeters all the way off on both cabinets.

I think you'll be happy with anything out of the RBH series or the Neo series. Those cabinets are all good. You should try them out so you can hear the difference, and also feel the difference in weight. The RBH 410 is heavy, but it's a great cabinet so it's worth looking at. I think that you'd be in hog heaven if you paired an RBH 115 and a RBH 210 (or 410), or a Neo 2x12 with a Neo 1x15. Or, if you just got an RBH 410, Neo 2x12 or Neo 4x12 for single cabinet portability.

I was considering a Neo 4x12 just so I don't have to make 2 trips to the car to get all my speakers - I'm trying to be efficient (lazy). I fell into a great deal on an Ampeg 8x10 so I'm going that route to see if it works for me. Only bad part is that I have to wait a month to get it. :(

You're going to be happy with just about anything you get from GK. There are a couple of guys here that use the SBK cabinets and love them. I've never used them so I can't give any kind of advice that would be from experience about them. I recommend the RBH and the Neo lines because I have hands on experience with them and they are great cabinets. Good luck with the GK journey, and let us know where you end up.

oddjob

I play my Bongos with a GK 2001Rb and 2 Neo212s and it is ungodly! The 2001 is a bit more than most need (including myself) but it is all about headroom (plus I like the 2nd channel). Honestly, if you are looking at the 700 and 1001... save and go 1001 - you wont regret it and your bass will thank you (the added headroom works wonders - esp with Bongos).

The SBX cabs are nice (if you go this route make sure you get SBX II's - more power handling). Very tight, even and focused. The RBH line is just awsome, imo, and nails the GK growel perfectly. They have a deeper sound but aren't as even as the SBX's (I like them because they have that added depth)... the big drawback is they weigh a ton. The Neo's are a nice cross between the two. The speakers are pretty fast, they project and reproduce well, and they have some nice depth to them.

oddjob

Dr Stankface

A huge +1 for the Neo cabs. The thing about the SBX is that they don't have as much of a full sound as with the ported GK cabs (RBH, Neos). The RBH are very very very punchy. They were pretty much made to knock you on your keester. The Neos also pack alot of punch but you can obtain a more smooth tone out of them. Personally, I like the Neos.

For all your GK needs, i'd recommend www.rmcaudio.com

GassieBall

Woah,

Most excellent information from all. This forum is incredible. I gotta look into those Neo's more carefully! I wish I were ready to pull the trigger on a rig now on ebay, but I have the problem of having to do too much mental m******ation about something before I jump in.

Very Newbie question here: My F*nder combo has a 1/4 inch jack in the back to disconnect the amp from the speaker. Could I just hook the 700/1001 into both the 212 and the F*nder simultaneously?

Motojunkie

GassieBall said:
Could I just hook the 700/1001 into both the 212 and the F*nder simultaneously?
You could, but I'm betting that the speaker in the f@nder would last about 37 seconds.

Hell, you're a Dr.....quit being cheap and get the good stuff......;)

BigStrings

OK, as long as we're talking GK stuff and you GK guys are all on board this thread, here is a question I asked a while ago. How much better (tone, power, what?) is the 1001 than the 800RB that I own. I've been thinking about the 1001RB because I thirst for power (don't all bass players?) but I'm not really sure how much better the 1001 is than what I already have.

Here is my concern: The 800RB and the 1001RB can both be had brand new for $750, the same exact price, but the 1001 is over twice the power at 700 watts into 4 ohms whereas the 800 is 300 watts into 4 ohms. I know the 800 also has a 100 watt amp for biamping but if your running two 8 ohm cabs, it just sounds better running them in parallel into the 300 watt side and getting the full 300 watts. I've tried every possible combination and that seems to be the best.

So, is the 1001RB achieving it's power rating through smoke and mirrors or is the 800RB such a solid classic that they can ask the same money and get it?

Motojunkie

You can get the 1001RBII for much cheaper than that through www.rmcaudio.com.

The preamp of the 1001RBII is almost identical to the 800RB. The changes are that where you have switches for contour and presence, the 1001RBII has pots that can achieve all the tones in between. Also, the 1001RBII is rated at 700 watts into 4 ohms, but also has a 50 watt tweeter amp. I run it with the tweeter amp all the way off because I think it sounds best that way.

The 1001RBII is around the same weight as the 800RB, but it's only 2 rack spaces vs 3, and it's fan cooled vs fin cooled. Even with my loud hard rock/metal band with no PA support the 1001RBII does the job just fine into an 8ohm load (Neo 2x12), and I never have to turn it more than 1/2 way up on the woofer volume. Having all that headroom is nice.

The 800RB is a great amp. If it's suiting your needs then I see no reason to upgrade to the 1001RBII. If you're buying new then I see no reason to buy the 800RB over the 1001RBII.

Top Bottom