• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

pedullamvp5

I have a 77 Stingray and the epoxy preamp just shot craps on me, need help quick! I read sometime ago on this forum that Ernie Ball still had some of the original preamps available, just need to send in old preamp for trade, is this true? Can someone answer this for me? Any Help appreciated. Thanks, Randy

Rod Trussbroken

I believe they did find some old stock black epoxies. Contact one of the techs at EB.

Can you explain exactly what happened to the pre-amp?

P.S. let me know how you go....mine recently cut out but came back to life....I have a feeling i may be in the same boat as you very soon.

Last edited:

Derek

I know we have 2EQ pre amp replacements for the old Stingray's with lug pots but new old stock
replacements(originals) i have not heard about. Will check into for you guys.

Derek

Rod Trussbroken

>>>>>I know we have 2EQ pre amp replacements for the old Stingray's with lug pots

Derek....you're talking about the Ernie Ball 1985 to circa 1990 pre-amps styled on the old Pre-EB MM pre-amps....right???....not the 2 band EQ circuit introduced thereafter (with the crescent moon-shaped circuit board)...which we see today on 'Rays with the 2 band EQ option??

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

Derek...if I can add....one of the techs has them in a "bucket".

Also, the EB 2 Band (1995 to circa 1990) is bassed on the the 1979 MM NON-epoxy circuit (I believe) which is a completely different situation to the epoxy version.

(uuuuhmmm....it's 41 degrees here at the moment....I might go and have a beer).

Last edited:

Derek

The original 2 EQ pre EB preamp(1976-79) is what I was going to check on. The Tech's are off today(FRIDAY) so we will check with them on monday.

The preamps we do have(normally) are for later versions Stingrays 85 to ??? Anyway I will get it sussed out and give you guys the details on what we have available.

Derek

pedullamvp5

Derek, Have you found out any information about the old epoxy preamp replacements yet? I have a 77 SR setting here dead- in - the-water! Thanks , Randy

Derek

Randy,

Ok here's the scoop! We do not have NOS Pre-EB Stingray preamps. We do have about 100 or so pre EB Sabre preamps. They are from the 7O's and do contain a element for a bright switch, and are not exactly the same as the Stingray preamp. We use these for Old Sabre Replacements when they come in for repair.

We do make a replacementpre-amp for the Old Pre EB Sting Ray .

Here is the description from Dudley in our R+D department:

The 2 EQ preamp that we have on hand are exactly the same circuit as the original,except that it has a 1k ohm protection resistor ,which keeps the IC from being shorted. The old ones were notorious for blowing the IC when the output cable was shorted. The New preamps also have electrolytic capcitors,rather than the tantalum capacitors the originals used. Tantalums were the hip new material back in the day ,but they are not the best choice for audio.

If you would like to get one please call customer service @ 866-823-2255 x 126
(They will not need the old pre amp back in exchange!) Correction!!! We would still require to have the old pre -amp back to make sure the new part goes into a MM bass.

Thanks

Derek

Last edited:

scottbass71

Derek ,
I am with Rod Trussbroken,
I would like a pre-amp as well for my 79 stingray. I am from OZ what is the best way of ordering one

Do you also sell the sabre pre-amps?

thanks
Scott

PS. also what about a copy of a schematic as well???

Last edited:

Derek

Gav,

I am surprised. They normally answer right away.

Let me call and I will see if he got the info from you.

Derek

packrat

Looking to necro this old thread. I've got a '77 stingray with a misbehaving preamp which I'd like to replace to get the bass really playable again. Are there any options all these years later? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom