• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

+ward

Hey guys! I have a 3 year old Musicman Stingray 5. The battery compartment has been giving me a problem. I could only use Eveready 9V batteries as their dimension are slightly wider. I wonder if you guys do come across this problem? Should I change the whole battery compartment? :confused:

Randracula

I think 9V batteries sometimes vary in size from brand to brand.I would find the brand that fits best for your bass and use those.If there is an actual problem with your battery compartment then call EB Customer Service.

+ward

Well. I am in Singapore. I was thinking to buy from allparts and get someone good to fix it? I am not sure if there's a problem with it though. But I am thinking to change it so that the next time, i can use any 9v batteries.

Dees

I had the same problem. When I wanted to replace the battery in my stingray for the f irst time, I noticed the battery box wouldn't coöperate. When I finally got it open and replaced the battery, no sound! (I started to panic slightly, because we had a gig 3 days later). I went to my local shop repair guy, and he told me the wires connecting the battery box to the pre-amp had come lose. It all had to do with the battery, which was a tad bigger than normal ones, so by opening the battery box,I had to pull so hard the wires had come lose. After 5 minutes: my bass was repaired:D
Lesson learned: never use duracell batteries

azzy_wazzy

MingusBASS said:
Well, I'm pretty sure that EBMM basses come with Duracell batteries so I don't follow that logic. I use duracell and they seem to be pretty consistent when it comes to size.
+1 - I thought the guys at EBMM recommended using Duracell because they DO FIT properly..

jongitarz

Yep...They come with Duracell's. I have found that Duracell Pro's are larger and will give you headaches.

+ward

HAHA! Guys.. thanks for all your fast replies.. So I should stick to Duracell? I am trying to find Duracell batteries in Singapore man. :( Well. should I change my battery compartment?

Dees

I know MM's come with duracell's, but strangely enough, mine must have been too big. And you don't have to replave the compartment, just find another battery; Any 9V will do. I use alakaline's, never had problems with them

LowDownDave

The basses DO ship with "standard" USA Duracells, but don't assume that Duracell battery dimensions are the same from country to country. The UK Duracells I've tried are a TIGHT fit (I've seen a few different types of Duracells here, but no "bog-standard" Duracells, only "ultra", "plus" and "pro" I think), so much so I had to use vice grips to retrieve the first (and only) one I inserted into my SR4. Now I only use Energizers, but these are quite a bit thinner and rattle around a bit (resulting in a poor connection) so I insert a small folded piece of paper behind the batter before closing the compartment to ensure a solid connection. Could just be that my battery compartment happens to be a bit smaller than most, and some of the other Duracells I haven't tried may fit OK, but I wouldn't recommend forcing a battery into the compartment if the fit is tight.

DKWilkins

I bought a '96 Sterling that had a Duracell Ultra in it that seemed to fit; when I bought a replacement pack last night I picked up the standard Duracell Coppertop (no "Ultra" markings) and they are a T I G H T ! fit..... I'm looking for more "Ultra's" now :(

Meister P.

Hi Ward, I believe that the best way to find out how to fix the trouble with your Sting Ray, would be to contact Bryan Ball, via e-mail at the "contact us" section, at the Ernie Ball home page. You will find his e-mail address there. He has given me really important tips about how to let's say configure my Sting Ray 5 better, with tips about Amps, Sound and many other things. I am sure he is the one to chat about your batteries problem. I'm inquireing about getting rechargable batteries for mine.
Good luck, Meister P.

Caca de Kick

but don't assume that Duracell battery dimensions are the same from country to country.

Dave is right about this one. These battery companies have factories in various countries, and their sizes aren't always the exact same. It's just one of those things you'll have to find something that fits and stick with it.

-Mike

midopa

... I'm inquireing about getting rechargable batteries for mine. ...
Rechargeable batteries are great in that, well, they're rechargeable. But the Energizer Nickle NiMH 9vs that I have won't fit into the battery comparment of my Bongo. Like, they're just too big to even fit in.

Also, rechargeable batteries discharge when in use differently than regular batteries. Regular batteries discharge steadily in a linear fashion, whereas rechargeables hold their charge for some time and then suddenly (relative term, but it's fast and noticeable) drop out. I had NiMHs in my calculator and, near the end of the battery's charge life, found that the display would fade out quickly when doing calculations, even the simple ones like addition and such. So there's a caveat to consider.

jono007

don't mean to revive a dead thread, but this is an issue for me. I'm using Energizers in my Axis Super Sport, and already use a shim behind the batt to ensure good connection. However, of late, it seems that when I jump around or bump the batt compartment, the batt loses connection and I lose sound.

Has anyone tried replacing the compartment with something else? I might go out and try a Duracell... see if it fits better...

Jimmyb

don't mean to revive a dead thread, but this is an issue for me. I'm using Energizers in my Axis Super Sport, and already use a shim behind the batt to ensure good connection. However, of late, it seems that when I jump around or bump the batt compartment, the batt loses connection and I lose sound.

Has anyone tried replacing the compartment with something else? I might go out and try a Duracell... see if it fits better...

This is a Super Sport with piezo right?

I use Procell 9v's in mine, without any noticeable problems.

high mileage

Procell being the industrial Duracells? They're the same thing, just sold in different places. I work at a place that has them and accidentally grabbed the Rayovacs (industrial version) and they fit correctly in my Bongo.

I've had my Bongo for a little more than a year and this was the first time I changed batteries. This is the first bass I've had with this type of battery compartment so I'm not sure what else fits, but I think it came with standard Duracells.

Top Bottom