• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Lucidology

Well guess what!,... I ended up today, after a long morning studio session in San Jose, going by Guitar Center just to pick up a few accessories before driving back to Monterey...

Well... Always expecting the unexpected...with no plans of making a big purchase whatsoever ...I walked out of Guitar Center with a Black~Limited Edition 2006 with Gold Hardware & matching headstock Luke...

When I played Keith's Luke when he was in Monterey last, I was jealous because his particular sparkly blue-burst Luke had very little of a V shape to it... In fact, it's much more of a rounded C shape. This new black one I just bought is quite similar.. it has just a hint of a V...

Though I like the pronounced V shape on my original Luke very much ... it ended up causing my small hand to cramp up badly... I'm not sure why, but I had to accept the fact that it did this and couldn't play it for more then a set.

I played this new Luke for about two hours straight before I made my decision, and there wasn't a hint of cramping. I will even go so far as to say, that though it still plays great like my first one, it feels like a somewhat different version...:

Anyhow.... how's that Stevie Wonder song go "Overjoyed"... da da da...:)

Last edited:

Jimi D

Congrats Lucid! You know, I had the exact same hand-cramping problem with my Luke as you described, which resulted in my changing over to an Axis... I'll have to try a newer Luke, too...

Wick3d.

phatduckk said:
sweet! congrats!!!

the 06 LE Luke i played at the SF GC floored me! amazing guitar!

Yeah I've played that one too! Truely a great guitar!

Now if I could only try a JP6 and a HSH Silhouette... then i could decide which one I'll buy after selling my Ibanez... (anyone needs one by the way? :p)

Jay

Good snag, dude. I was able to play a LE Luke at a GC in Sherman Oaks, CA, this past week. Nice guitar! While it didn't quite fit my hands the way I thought it would, I really liked the quiet single coil EMGs, and the humbucker was nice and high-gain. They also had, on the wall, a 20th Silo, a rosewood neck Axis SS and a LE JP6P. So what you read before about GC stocking EBMMs is true.

Larry

I wish I had your guys luck. I went to the Guitar Center in Country Club Hills, and the one in Burbank. Nothing. Two stores with no balls.

pauldogx

Just got my Luke july 3 and it has a definite V to the neck----I'm sure there are small differences in various necks from hand finishing-----but I would assume the necks are CNC'ed then hand finished---so the differences would be very slight.

koogie2k

tommyindelaware said:
news to me that the contour has been changed..........:cool:

I played a few of Kbaim's Luke's and there was only one that felt comfortable to me. I mean, I NOTICED a difference. As much as I like the sound of the Luke, I never thought of getting one due to the V neck as I don't like that....but again, there was one I played that was noticeably different. :confused:

Lucidology

Thanks everyone... if I can conjure up some pics soon I will... the gold hardware sure gives the Luke a certain "tres chic" quality...

There is (was) still a regular Luke at the San Jose Guitar. plus a Rosewood Axis SS (wow, now that's one hell of a great guitar) and a beautiful 20th cherry-burst Silo there if anyone who happens to be in the area is interested.

I played the regular Luke they had right next to the LE 2006 Luke... and it simply had a more pronounced V... to prove to myself I wasn't imagining this, I asked at least three different sale guys to play 'em both and see if they felt (noticed) a physical difference in the back of the neck's profile... and they all re-soundly did...:eek:

They sand down the Luke's neck by hand right... othewise how could this be..?? And Tommy's right, I must be crazy:) .... and if I'm nuts, then way cool... my head trip just reeled in a new Luke I can play without cramping up...:rolleyes:

Keith (Kbalm) first turned me on to the fact that the neck profiles varied a bit from Luke to Luke... and he's a sane guy right?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Larry

I bought my Luke without ever playing one. The stock around me is quite bad. Im sure I won't be let down.

kbaim

Good news, Lucido!

Congrats.

My BD Luke still feels unlike any other Luke neck I've played.

And they do seem to differ from luke to luke. With one hurting my hand before the new neck replacement. Feels perfect now.

Top Bottom