• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tnavis

Quick quesiton about the Murphy's Oil Soap.... can I use it to clean the neck and the finger board of a maple neck?

jubjub721

uhh i would not advise it
im sure theres somthing in it that could eat away the wax on the fretboard
u should prolly get some fingerboard cleaner at ur local music shoppe

Tnavis

Doesn't it say in the FAQ that Murphy's Oil Soap should be used? I'm confused.

jubjub721

i dont kno
the thing is that it says soap
and would u trust the same thing u clean ur floors with on ur buetiful maple neck

i would play it safe

skabassist13

ok im gonna sound like a smart ass but the FAQ says that if you want to clean the neck use murphys oil soap diluted with a 3:1 ratio(3 parts water:1 part soap i think)

Tnavis

Yes, it says use 3:1 on the neck, but not specifically the fretboard. And jubjub, what's your deal? I'm just looking for a little help. Jackass.

bovinehost

Administrator
To quote from the FAQ:

Q: How do I maintain the neck on my new Music Man bass?

A: To clean the neck, use a small dose of high-grade lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, give us a call or email us at [email protected].

Since the neck is unfinished, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Clean neck first. Use a small amount of Tru-oil, leave it on for 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. Then apply Birchwood-Casey Tru-Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores. Their web address is http://www.birchwood-casey.com.

Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil.

For cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Keep in mind that if the dirt or grease has been worked into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend unless exercised with extremely fine sandpaper (1200-1600 grit), and even then very sparingly. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps!

Some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal on unfinished necks. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.

I didn't notice anything about Murphy's Oil Soap, but will gladly stand corrected if it's there. There has been a LOT written here about neck care - both the neck itself and the fingerboard, maple and rosewood.

The best thing to do is use the search function and read the info.

The Murphy's stuff may well do a good job, but there are other options, options that have been used IN REAL LIFE by REAL BASSISTS and that have been proven to work with no negative impact on instruments.

Or, you know, you guys can meet after school.

Tnavis

The reason I bring up the Murphy's Oil Soap question is because I found

this thread while searching for "maple neck cleaning". In it, Mike Pierce, of EB customer service, says:

"High grade lemon oil is what should be used to clean the neck. If it gets dirty enough, you can use Murphy's oil soap, diluted 3:1."

Since I haven't been able to find a good lemon oil, I thought I'd give the Murphy's a shot. Murphy's oil soap has a vegetable oil base, and has no nasty petroleum distillates or extraneous gunk in it. I was just curious if the term "neck" refers to just the back of the neck, or to the neck and fingerboard as well, at least on maple necks.

bovinehost

Administrator
Then it sounds okay to me. As I said, I didn't see any mention of Murphy's in the FAQ, so....

I have divested myself of all maple fingerboard basses so it doesn't come up terribly often around Camp Bovine anymore.

It IS the fingerboard we're talking about, right? This is one of the reasons I've stuck with rosewood boards.

Tnavis

Yup, we're talking about the fingerboard. The back of the neck could probably use a good cleaning, but I'm mainly interested in getting rid of the "gank" on the finger board.

bing4sons

OK, I'm a guitar guy sneaking in here... The Murphy's Oil is referenced in the Guitar FAQ, but I can't imagine why it would be different for a bass. This came to my attention, since I just cleaned one of my necks (and Maple fretboard) with the Murphy's oil. It did a good job, with no side effects.

Here is the FAQ:

Q: How do I clean and maintain my Music Man neck?

A: To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1.

Since the neck is unfinished, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Tru-Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores. Their web address is http://www.birchwood-casey.com.

Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with the gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil. Again, for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! On an unfinished neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.

lowstrung

It seems to me that a little murphy's and a soft tooth brush is better than grinding in the existing gunk. Just scrub it good get the crap off it wipe it down good. Apply light coat of gun oil let set for a few. Buff it down good put them new strings on and get back to gunkin it up again. I can tell that the maple in the neck is good and it will take a good scrubbin. Just dont soak it. Rose wood dos'nt repel grime any more than maple. It just dos'nt show it as bad. Try to play with clean hands and wipe down your strings and neck good after each session

jubjub721

hey
dont sas me
i thought u had been on longer JR
see if anybody has been on for a while they realize dumbass coments like that mean absolutly nothing

Top Bottom