• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Fusionman

Does anyone know exactly what model DiMarzio humbuckers are in an Axis Sport w/double humbuckers? Id like to put the same set into another gtr. Im thinking the neck is a PAF Pro but Im not sure about the bridge. In advance, thanks for any advice and help.

Astrofreq

They are both custom wound EVH Dimarzios, not sold in stores or available anywhere. Occasionally found on Ebay, but sold for quite a bit. Your best bet would be to break into the Dimarzio shop on Staten Island and grab a box of them. Not recommended however. If you must, I found the secret green sidehatch on the west side of the factory to be the fastest entry, and watch out for those dobermans. Lulu's got a mean bite.

This topic comes up pretty often, so there are alot of threads with people comparing other pickups. I think the general consensus was that the D-Sonic in the bridge was about as close as you can get. Not the same by any stretch, but what can you do? SOme people, even Dimarzio, says that the Tone Zone is the closest match, but I find them vastly different. I've never heard the D-Sonic, so I can't chime in too much on that.

Last edited:

Astrofreq

Actually I think it was the Air Norton that people claimed that similar to the Axis Bridge. Check the old threads, I could be wrong.

jongitarz

The Sport, Super Sport, and Axis had the same pickups. The only difference was the addition of the 4 wires on the Sport and Super Sport so a 5 way switch could be used.

jazzbo jim

True dat.
And they are damn fine soundin' too. I was just loving them a minute ago with my JCM800-just the right blend between sparkle and crunch (no wonder Eddie loved them)
As far as DiMarzios go, they'll tell you that the closest match is:
Neck-Air Norton
Bridge-Tone Zone

Both real nice pickups and fairly close to my ear as well. The Tone Zone sounds a little more hot to me though and the Air Norton sounds a little warmer (that is, doesn't have the same cut and clarity as the EBMM version)

My $0.02

Jimi D

The Sport, Super Sport, and Axis had the same pickups. The only difference was the addition of the 4 wires on the Sport and Super Sport so a 5 way switch could be used.
My Axis pups have four conductor wiring, they just aren't hooked up... But I could install a push/pull switch and split the pickups...

I think a lot of the apparent differences that people hear between the Axis bridge and Axis Sport bridge pups is due to the added wiring - with the pickup wired to a tone control and wired up to the 5-way for split coil on the in-between positions, the Axis Sport bridge just sounds a little bit tamer than the wide open Axis pup... They're still clearly in the same family, but I can hear a difference... Of course, body woods, set up and the bridge all contribute as well...

Personally, I've never heard an after market pickup that I think sounds exactly like an Axis bridge pup... The one pickup I seem to like almost as much, however, is the Dimarzio Breed, which is a great pickup in a basswood guitar too...

axissport

Hi
I have an EVH and an Axis Sport. I find the EVH bridge to be hotter than the Axis Sport
and switching from rear to to front pu on the EVH has a noticeable volume drop which doesn't happen on Axis Sport.
When recording DI the EVH will overload quicker than the Axis Sport.Does the added wires and tone knob change a pu output and tone?
They both sound good but I didn't think they were the same pu.

axissport

The Sport is ash, which in itself sounds different.

yes I understand that would explain some of the tone difference,But the output of the Sport isn't as hot.
I have a yamaha dg80 amp that has a input sensitivity knob and switching from Sport to EVH I have to lower the sensitivity to avoid overload.

candid_x

yes I understand that would explain some of the tone difference,But the output of the Sport isn't as hot.
I have a yamaha dg80 amp that has a input sensitivity knob and switching from Sport to EVH I have to lower the sensitivity to avoid overload.

Different pots maybe?

Top Bottom