• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

peterd79

I got a call on Monday to be ready for this friday... I'm a special guest on a bill and i've been asked to play two songs... I've never played in a "BAR" type club... and i'm really nervous... any thoughts?

beej

Practice so your fingers are autopilot. Have a drink to relax, but don't get drunk! And just go out there and give 'er. Remember, none of the jerks in the crowd can play guitar like you can ;)

CudBucket

Just go have fun and try to remember why you play the guitar in the first place. Good luck!

Dave

Jimi D

I need prescription glasses to see anything clearly more than five feet in front of me - I take them off and don a pair of sunglasses! I've been doing this for years... I still feel a little "energetic" when I first go up to play, but we have a rock-steady drummer and within a couple bars I'm reeled in and feeling fine - it's just me, the mic stand, the pedal board, and my guitar, and the rest is too indistinct to worry about ;)

brentrocks

i know how you feel man, our other guitar player has signed us up for a local battle of the bands and i have never been on stage!!!:eek:

good luck!!!

threeminutesboy

ditto

That stress is normal and for me always disapear after 2 songs ah ah ah

I agree with beej get 1 glass (and only one) before going on stage and there you go !

peterd79

Well... i'm only doing two songs...
I've played in front of a lot of people... so that's not the issue... It's these guys rock.. and i'm by far the worst one out of the crew... we're talking Grammy Nominees, and recording former recording artists... and then... me... and I don't drink!

Astrofreq

Just say to the crowd, "Just raise your hands in the air, and wave them like you just don't care!"

Seriously, just have fun and audiotape it for sure! You'll be glad you did in a few years.

GHWelles

What was that movie where Will Farrell got up in a bar with an just an electric guitar (no band) and was going to play a song he wrote for his girlfriend?

Farrell's charachter was so nervous that he had to turn on a casette tape of his playing the guitar and sing to that.

I would think about this a lot before the gig, and maybe even rent the movie and watch it.

:)

THE_EB_KID

AWW C'MON MAN!!!Your gonna do great, playing with great musicians
makes you step it up and bring your A GAME!!! My band and I are doing
a private party with Edwin McCain tomorrow evening, I'm not sure if any
of you guys are familiar with him but he's one of my favorites, I kinda know
peterd79 feels know that I think of it!!!!!!!

peterd79

i've been practicing over and over... I listen to the songs at work... in my car... and i've become a playing machine... my biggest fear is looking completely stupid in front of guys who've asked me to sit in... the songs are very basic...
Keep Your Hands to yourself
The Roadhouse Blues
but still I don't want to blow it on a solo... and spoil my welcome...

Adwex

I was in a similar situation...a friend's cover band, I'll come up for one song. I was practically paralyzed with stage fright, must've checked the tuning on the guitar like 3 or 4 times while waiting. My friend (the drummer) came up to the mic to introduce me, gave this speech how he and I have been close friends, and we used to jam years ago. While he's "building me up", I'm thinkin' SHUT THE HECK UP, they're gonna think I'm really good. As I'm playing, I think I looked up from the fretboard maybe twice. I got myself psyched into this "zone" where I was so focused on the song and not making a mistake that I barely even knew what was going on around me. Comes time for the solo, me and the other guitarist look at each other from across the room:

He gives me the look "you wanna take it?"
I give him the look "nah, you can have it",
he gives me "you sure?"
I give him "ok, I'll take it"
this all took place within 5 seconds

All in all, it went well, the crowd cheered. Afterwards, I practically ran to the bar for a drink, relieved that it was over, and I didn't fall on my face.

My girlfriend commented "Ok, not bad, you played it safe"
I said "Damn right!"

Just concentrate on the song, and your playing, try to ignore everything else. Good luck.

PeteDuBaldo

If you are good buddies with someone in the band, stand next to them and play TO them. Make funny faces, be animated, goof off - do some ZZ Top dancing or something like that. This helps you to relax, have a good time, and gives the audience a show.

Remember, being onstage at a bar is a shared experience - the other guys have to deal with the same flying objects as you. :D

PS
Dont forget the ever popular guitar neck thrust between the singer's legs move!

peterd79

So... here's the big update on the evening...
I got there about an hour early to get used the the place and chat with the band. I know them all fairly well and they all know I have gear, yet i've never played in front of them... so it was an absolute honor to even be invited to sit in.
So they call me up and give a speal about me as i'm walkin up... and then it's go time... The first song starts... and it was AUTOPILOT... i never looked at my shoes and never at the fretboard... just a bunch of guys jammin... and i get the signal to take the solo... and i rolled the volume up to 10 and just let it go... the songs rolled off without a hitch... and everyone had a great time... the guys were amazing musicians who made everything beyond fun...

The only problem... was i was asked to throw away my energy drink, as that's not allowed in a bar... Who'da thunk!?!

Thanks guys for the support and advice... no body understand a musician more than a musician... so thanks!

NorM

Yeah!! A life time memory was made for you last night and that's great. Did anyone capture the kodak moment?

Oh and one more question..

Are you sure you weren't to loud? :D

Top Bottom