• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jommi

Hi all! Little question: What do you know about EB MM Axis history. Original Axis was Eddie Van Halen signature model, but how it become Axis? I appreciate any knowledge about Axis history. Today original Eddie Van halen Music Man guitars are very expensive. Is there any differencies between Axis and original EVH model? Also do anyone have information, how many Axis guitars has been totally made?

Larry

Before EVH came to Music Man in search of a guitar the Axis was already designed. EVH and the boys up at SLO fine tuned it to his taste. Then it became his signature. After EVH left EBMM they renamed it Axis relocated the pickup switch and widened the neck I think 1/32" towards the upper frets to prevent string slippage. Which is the only major changes. Still same pickups ect.

robelinda2

Diamond Creek, VIC, Australia- at Rancho Alberto
from the EB FAQ

1. Lack of Eddie's signature on the headstock (obviously)

2. Toggle switch is moved down below the volume knob, instead of the original location near the bottom horn/below the neck pickup.

3. Body is now contoured on back where your stomach and guitar meet.

4. Neck width at higher frets is increased by 1/32" to avoid high E string slippage.

5. "Tone" knob is now a "Volume" knob.

6. Offset saddles on the Floyd (EVH), non-offset on the Axis.

7. ...one could argue money/price, depending on the market at the time, but that's personal preference.

rmh925

Let's not forget that in fact the first Axis was the Albert lee model before it became his sig guitar.....Just a little more info to add to the specs mentioned above.

brentrocks

here is the original axis.....

magcover.jpg

dg5150

I thought Ed came up with the body shape ? cross between a tele, and LP
And tuned the p-ups with dimarzio ?

Doug

TonyEVH5150

Doug,

I think there's differing opinions on that one. EB supposedly already had the body design down. Ed just moved a few things around.

Anyways, it's morphed itself into one hell of a guitar!!!!!!

TonyEVH5150

BP, Where the same necks used for the Axis and Al prototypes? I remember seeing photos where they both had Axis on the headstock.

John Denner

EVH Axis neck

Pretty sure the Albert Lee signature model is not the same as the neck found on the Axis, maybe the EVH signature model had a different feel ?

Never played the EVH version of the Axis.

azazael

Pretty sure the Albert Lee signature model is not the same as the neck found on the Axis, maybe the EVH signature model had a different feel ?

Never played the EVH version of the Axis.

No John, he means in the early pictures the Al and EVH both had a neck on them that said Axis. I think he is asking if that was a neck that they used for testing out prototypes.

metalarch

I just ask the dealer in Mexico for one of this…hope they take care of my request, they usually dont.
When was the first year of production of the Axis?

Top Bottom