• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bdgotoh

I just got a new Sterling HH and noticed that the serial number is "earlier" numerically than the buttercream Sterling I got over a year ago, by a good bit.

Since these are stamped metal neck plates, do you make them up in big batches and the number has nothing to do with the year the bass was made?

DKWilkins

It's almost as if they're punched out and set aside in a bin........ :)

on a side note, wish there was some way I could swing that buttercream HH down here in the dirty south..... :cool:

bdgotoh

on a side note, wish there was some way I could swing that buttercream HH down here in the dirty south..... :cool:

Me too David, it's an awesome bass. Have you played an HH Sterling yet? It's now officially my very favorite EB bass model. My superlight black Sterling H is getting nervous...

Ken Baker

Lol, I'm so slow i didn't realize that was what all of you implied:eek:

Cryptic, huh?

Still i don't understand your message, but it's all good, I'm a swedish basstard:p

It's a reference to the way Leo Fender's post-FMIC companies installed & tracked (or didn't) serial numbers.

Back in the CLF Research days, it used to be that the serial numbers were stamped on the neck plate or bridge. They'd buy 'em in big lots and the things would get stored in bins waiting for installation. Someone needs a bridge for a pre-EBMM 'Ray and they'd reach into the box and grab one without any thought as to numerical order.

The Ball family acquires Music Man. Leo takes CLF Research to G&L and the handling of serialized metal parts largely continued in much the same fashion as before. It's been a source of conversation on the G&L board since early on. BBE-era G&Ls have serial numbers on the headstock, but they're not installed or tracked any better than in the old days. The closest we get to a DOB is neck & body date.

There. Now you know almost all my secrets. :rolleyes:

Ken...

DKWilkins

Me too David, it's an awesome bass. Have you played an HH Sterling yet? It's now officially my very favorite EB bass model. My superlight black Sterling H is getting nervous...

Not yet... nothing around here... besides, I get all my good stuff from you ;)
(well, except that most excellent blue pearl/maple I got from Squidlizard)
I guess I can dream...:D

Beth

I just got a new Sterling HH and noticed that the serial number is "earlier" numerically than the buttercream Sterling I got over a year ago, by a good bit.

Since these are stamped metal neck plates, do you make them up in big batches and the number has nothing to do with the year the bass was made?

Actually, we have a mirror on the wall with a genie inside it at the factory. When an instrument is ready to have the neck fitted, we hold up the parts and say "mirror mirror, on the wall, which is the most fitting serial number of all?" and, a la Harry Potter and the magic wizard cap, it gives us a serial number.

Tee hee! :D Just kidding! Actually, there is no coding on the serial numbers. The one bit of info I can offer you is:

serial numbers that start with "G" are guitars
serial numbers that start with "F" are Sterling basses, Bongo basses, John Petrucci 7-strings and the new StingRay 5 20th Anniversary's
serial numbers that start with "E" are StingRays & StingRay 5's

"A", "C", and "B" serial numbers are either pre-EB, offshore or special anniversary models we've done in the past.

Colin

Actually, we have a mirror on the wall with a genie inside it at the factory. When an instrument is ready to have the neck fitted, we hold up the parts and say "mirror mirror, on the wall, which is the most fitting serial number of all?" and, a la Harry Potter and the magic wizard cap, it gives us a serial number.
Tee hee! :D Just kidding! Actually, there is no coding on the serial numbers. The one bit of info I can offer you is:

serial numbers that start with "G" are guitars
serial numbers that start with "F" are Sterling basses, Bongo basses, John Petrucci 7-strings and the new StingRay 5 20th Anniversary's
serial numbers that start with "E" are StingRays & StingRay 5's

"A", "C", and "B" serial numbers are either pre-EB, offshore or special anniversary models we've done in the past.
Very informative and entertaining, thanks Beth

SquidLizard

The Sterling I sold David had a serial # starting with a B. It was a '96 but not a special edition of anything as far as I know. Could it have gotten an older bridge that was floating around?

Squid/Lisa

Rod Trussbroken

.....Could it have gotten an older bridge that was floating around?

Squid/Lisa

No.

The serials can be confusing :eek:

Up to 1996, both the Sterling and SR4 had unprefixed five digit serial numbers.

During 1996 and 1997 the five digit serials on both Basses were then prefixed with a "B". This is not to be confused with the older Pre-EB "B" serial which had six digits (and also used on some early EB Basses up to 1988 and 100th NAMM Anni Bass).

Later during 1997 the five digit serials on both Basses changed from the "B" to a "D" prefix.

Up to this point all the serials were located on the bridge.

In 1998, the Sterling changed to an "F" prefix still followed by five digits while the SR4 changed to an "E" prefix (and the five digits). This is when the serial numbers moved from the bridge to the neck plate.

The SR5 was always an unprefixed five digit serial (on the bridge) untill 1998 when, like the SR4, it became prefixed with an "E" and moved to the neck plate too.

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

Hi Brad.

It's my understanding that the serials are stamped in large quantities and aren't used in any particular order. But because of the flow of instruments they generally (but not necessarily) fall into on overall order. I've seen some out of chronology by several years. But it's more so with days of the month and months of the year that don't necessarily follow chronology.

Top Bottom