• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

radial

I've done some searches but couldn't produce anything that was similar to my problem. I have also checked all of my measurements to make sure they are to Ernie Ball standards such as the measure for relief in the neck, the distance between fret and strings, and the distance between the plastic of the pickup and G string (which is slightly lower than the 4.76mm recommended). This setup was done after putting on brand new DR Hibeams .45-1.05 gauge. What could be done to fix this problem? I've heard that some MM just have "dead" or quiet d and g strings. Is this the case or can I fix it? Thanks guys.

Deryc

Jazzbassman23

Not to state the obvious, but why not just raise the pickup on the G-string side? You stated it's not to EBMM standards. Why not?

mynan

After seeing a couple posts like this recently, I'm wondering what it could be if not the strings or the pickup adjustment?

To say that "some MM just have "dead" or quiet d and g strings" makes no sense to me. If the string is not dead and the pickup is adjusted properly then, barring a bad pickup/preamp, the pickup should pick up the vibration of the string and produce the right sound/volume. Is there more to it than that? I understand how wood affects tone, but I wouldn't think that it could affect volume.

Leftybassist

I have had the same problem recently. My personal suspicion is that it has something to do with the bass frequencys coming from the amp. The E,A,and D stings have more bass in them. So if the amp is really boosting the bass frequency there can seem to be a sudden drop of volume to the G string. It really just a sudden drop in bass freq. ??? I could be totally off though. I'm not an expert. I just thought I would put my $0.02 in. I found that if I cut the bass eq on my bongo and then increased the volume accordingly it helped quite a bit. Maybe cutting bass off the amp's eq would help too. (Not really a solution though, especially if you like big meaty bass tone) Personally I'm gonna try some thicker strings (power slinkys) to see if having a thicker G adds some more lows to that string.

Last edited:

mynan

I have had the same problem recently. My personal suspicion is that it has something to do with the bass frequencys coming from the amp. The E,A,and D stings have more bass in them. So if the amp is really boosting the bass frequency there can seem to be a sudden drop of volume to the G string. It really just a sudden drop in bass freq. ??? I could be totally off though. I'm not an expert. I just thought I would put my $0.02 in. I found that if I cut the bass eq on my bongo and then increased the volume accordingly it helped quite a bit. Maybe cutting bass off the amp's eq would help too. (Not really a solution though, especially if you like big meaty bass tone) Personally I'm gonna try some thicker strings (power slinkys) to see if having a thicker G adds some more lows to that string.

That's a good point. Depending on the rig, there are usually tradeoffs when you start accenting frequencies.

radial

"Not to state the obvious, but why not just raise the pickup on the G-string side? You stated it's not to EBMM standards. Why not?"

Well, that's the thing. If I raise the pickup on the G side any more then the strings will be extremely closer to the pickup than the 4.76mm recommended by the EB website. I can boost the treble on the amp but like someone stated, I lose the low-mids that I play with. Any more suggestions?

mynan

I've heard that getting the pickup too close to the string can actually have an adverse affect. Maybe that's the problem. I know...shooting blind here.

nationalmanslo

1. set up your bass to stock specs as reccomended by eb.

2. start with your amp flat, make minor adjustments from there, try not use excessive eq on your amp or bass.

3. call customer service.

toss the dr's and install some slinkys

Last edited:

radial

I intend to call customer service if I can't fix this myself (which is what I was hoping to do). Any more suggestions?

phatduckk

I've heard that getting the pickup too close to the string can actually have an adverse affect. Maybe that's the problem. I know...shooting blind here.

this is true. pickups being too close to a have a stronger magnetic pull so the stings vibrate less.

1. set up your bass to stock specs as reccomended by eb.

2. start with your amp flat, make minor adjustments from there, try not use excessive eq on your amp or bass.

3. call customer service.

toss the dr's and install some slinkys

1) yup
2) yup
3) yup

re: the DR strings. did you crimp the string before cutting it? DR specifies that you should crip their strings before cutting it. if you didnt do that you may have screwed up the string

I intend to call customer service if I can't fix this myself (which is what I was hoping to do). Any more suggestions?

yes, is the bass new? if so call your dealer or take it to them and see what they can do for you.

-arin

spencer

Neither One of my balls ever gave me a problem with G string...

Haha,

No seriously though set it to factor specs, and see what its like. Also is this a problem you only notice when playing with a band?

radial

Yes I did crimp the strings before cutting. My bass is not new; I bought it used. I'm going to lower the pickup a smidge (like the word?) today. I'll report back if I have any luck.

Yes, the band setting is when I notice it the most because I can't hear the g string at all.

I'll get back with you guys if lowering the pickup helped. Thanks for the help so far!!

Deryc

lovechick

I've never had an issue with string balance on any of the four SRs I've owned. (Two Balls, two pre-Balls.) We're talking about going through a variety of amps, preamps, and direct studio set-ups. I have, however, had issues with the pickup on my '77 being too close to the D string. For a while, I thought it was a fretout and then learned otherwise. After lowering the pick-up, all was cool. I hate to say it, but I suspect your ears are over-sensitive or you got a bum string in the pack. Best of luck resolving this.

73jbass

This is an issue I've seen quite a few times here,and had the same experience myself. PB even addressed the issue here a while back. I have owned a total of 8 MM basses in the past,still own 3,and 5 of them had the weak d and g string problem. Raising the pickup doesn't help,and neither does changing strings. And no amout of set up changes will fix it either.The issue is in the pickup.I swapped the pickups out with an aftermarket,and the problem went away. There are some MM basses out there that have a weak d and g string. That's it. The three I currently play don't have that issue.I wish I could remember what PB said about this. I'd do a pickup swap with an aftermarket,and that will solve the problem.

bovinehost

Administrator
This is not going to become an aftermarket pickup thread. We've done this a million times and I've explained it a million (and one) times; any questions on THAT issue, read the FAQs and the sticky above that's titled "Where Did It Go?"

I've had a few Stingrays (out of a veritable horde) with an initially "weak" G string. Instead of raising the treble side of the pickup, I suggest lowering the bass side of the pickup. While playing with other instruments, keep your screwdriver handy and make SMALL adjustments until it's balanced.

I've heard that a bigger G string is also a solution; I have no real-world experience with that, but I HAVE 'fixed' the imbalance by lowering the bass side of the pickup.

Jack

mynan

Gee, didn't see that coming...

OK, maybe I did.

...and really, who is this PB character?

or is your mother a member of the MDA?

Last edited:

bovinehost

Administrator
No probs, man, it's just that sometimes the door gets opened a little bit and then BAM, the aftermarket stuff starts taking over the thread and I have to moderate, which is almost like work - and we all know how much I hate THAT.

Jack

Top Bottom