• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hankSRay

I know there's a couple of guys here that use drum machines for live gigs and I was just curious which brands/models you use or like to use. Keep in mind that I dont want to spend over $400 due to the fact that this is most likely going to just be a temporary thing until I can find a decent drummer. Thanks in advance!

AnthonyD

Alesis SR-16

It's an old workhorse and I think it's the best for live accompaniment. Less than $200.00

Using a pair of foot pedals will allow you to start and stop the beat as well as insert a drum-fill. Fill will vary according to the beats remaining in the measure (e.g. there could be a 6 beat or 2 beat fill or a single cymbal crash based upon when you stomp the pedal.) Also, each beat has a complementary beat (e.g. verse beat/chorus beat) that you can control via the pedals as well.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
+1 on the SR16.

My band has used two of these for years. Two because all of our drum parts won't fit on one. Which brings up the pros and cons...

Pro:
Inexpensive
Good drum sounds
Small
MIDI enablement

Con:
Closed architecture (cannot expand the memory, cannot save files for editing on a computer)
Proprietary programming method...if you want to do anything but use the built-in loops you need to learn an arcane procedure....very early-90s technology
Cannot back up or restore a single song...have to do the whole machine
If you screw up and alter a pattern that another song uses, the other song gets messed up

The guitarist in my band is the guy in charge of the drum machine, and he likes to program all his own parts. If you just use the built-in patterns, some of those cons don't apply.

Since we needed two to hold an entire evening's worth of music, we wound up housing them in a mixer case that would sit on an amp stand in front of the guitarist. Looked absurd, like a lectern.

Then (based on recommendations here and elsewhere) this year we got ourselves a Digitech JamMan, which can hold something like six hours worth of WAV audio on a Compact Flash card (up to 99 songs, more than we'll ever need). We dumped everything we've got onto it, and that's what we use live now.

bovinehost

Administrator
RHx.jpg

This model will steal your travel mugs, though.

AnthonyD

I use the John Ferraro X-15

Now, this one is a really good one!

The John Ferraro X-15 comes pre-programmed with thousands of beats. And as if that wasn't enough, it has the intelligence to create and develop new beats on the fly!

Unlimited fills! Tempo changes as required! Dynamic volume sensitivity! Comes completely loaded with EVERYTHING you'd need in a drum machine.

The John Ferraro X-15 comes equipped with an intuitive interface which responds to the slightest input provided by the guitarist or bassist in the group.

Unfortunately, the John Ferraro X-15 is not available in stores. Availability is extremely limited and generally can be found by the lucky EBMM player once per year at a designated place and time.

An opportunity to play along with, or simply experience the John Ferraro X-15 is not to be missed! :D

hankSRay

The big problem with live drummers is you have to feed them.

On the other hand, they do deliver pizza.... :p

Hey I wish I could find a drummer, let alone one that even had a job. But in all seriousness I appreciate your help guys. I'm going to hit up the GC soon and see what they have in stock. This is just going to be a temporary thing so we can do some gigs while we search for a drummer but god knows how long that will take.

jaylegroove

Sony_MZR700.jpg

I actually program drums and background instruments with Pro Tools LE, make them sound decent with RTAS virtual instruments and plug-ins, then I send the tracks to the Sony Mini Disc reader through SonicState.

This allows me to put there not only drums, but everything I need (including even additional guitar parts, played in audio mode).

sir funkytown

I have performed with the MC 303 Groove box .That's got some great sounds if you want to do electronic type things.Curently I am using my laptop and Reason 3.0 to program sounds.

strummer

Enormous Member
I know there's a couple of guys here that use drum machines for live gigs and I was just curious which brands/models you use or like to use. Keep in mind that I dont want to spend over $400 due to the fact that this is most likely going to just be a temporary thing until I can find a decent drummer. Thanks in advance!

Preferrably Sibbe, 26, but mostly Erik, 43.

Edit: Seriously, Zomm Rhythm something 123.

Top Bottom