• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Skinny

I was just told by a local guitar retailer who deals with many Asian guitar manufacturers that Axis EX is made of a bad-quality basswood similar to the one used in low-budget Ibanez models. Is this true? I hope not.

beej

Bad quality? Basswood is used in lots of great guitars my friend. Nothing wrong with it.

Your local retailer is full of it. Probably trying to get you to buy one of those "higher quality" Mexican made guitars :rolleyes:

TheBassGuy

the thing that makes wood "cheap" is the age. Basswood is a cheaper wood, but when dried for a long time, the quality gets better and better, making it more expensive.

Don't get fooled by people who talk about things like ash is the best wood for guitars, and basswood is crap (i used to believe that ;) ). The different wood's give different tonal versatility. For instance, ash is a very hard wood, which gives a bright sound. Basswood is softer, which absorbs sound making it sound lower/fatter.

It just depends on what you as guitarist want. For you're style of music alder might be crap and basswood the bomb. ;)

Last edited:

steveh

I'm not clear if Skinny meant that basswood is bad full stop, or that the quality of basswood used for the EX was bad (as opposed to "good" basswood used elsewhere)?

In any event:

A; Basswood can make superb guitars - one only has to hear the Axis/EVH. Allan Holdsworth chose basswood for his Ibanex AH10 and AH20 guitars, and he knows about tone. Suhr also raves about it. etc etc etc

B; I played an EX last year and it was superb,"bad" basswood or not.

As far as I know, the only downside is that its a little soft vs alder for example (which accounts for some of its tonal characteristics), and so takes the knocks less well, and it is slightly more difficult to paint (more porous IIRC?).

Steve

Skinny

I meant bad basswood as opposed to good basswood. I don't say that basswood is generally crap.
I played the US made axis and it sounded badass - basswood + maple top worked ubercool.
But as far as I know Axis Ex has a laminated top not a solid maple one. Thus it affects the tone in some way.
Anyhow I will soon own this guitar. It will arrive from Japan in 3-4 weeks. And then I'll tell who was right and who was wrong. :)

Last edited:

kompressaur

I think it would be cool if someone here owned an EX. To my knowledge, no one does so far :D

almost sure mine is an EX body with a regular Axis neck (No Axis legend on the EX necks I believe). Theres no tummy cut on the back. its a really sweet player and the only keeper guitar of mine in the last few years.I think it may be the EX steveh was referring to
Axis_honeyburst.jpg

the cheap strap buttons in this shot weren't stock.Long winded story but i lost the originals putting Schaller straplocks on it,took them off for another guitar and had to put cheapies on her for a bit.The guitar's now sporting dunlop ones.
Axis_Honeyburst_2.jpg

I checked out the Japanese shop pages on the EX,even contacted them about a pearl lavender one but no response.:(

steveh

Yes - Komp's guitar is the one I was referring to.

It plays as nice as it looks! Great guitar full stop.

steve

Tim O'Sullivan

almost sure mine is an EX body with a regular Axis neck (No Axis legend on the EX necks I believe). Theres no tummy cut on the back. its a really sweet player and the only keeper guitar of mine in the last few years.I think it may be the EX steveh was referring to
Axis_honeyburst.jpg

the cheap strap buttons in this shot weren't stock.Long winded story but i lost the originals putting Schaller straplocks on it,took them off for another guitar and had to put cheapies on her for a bit.The guitar's now sporting dunlop ones.
Axis_Honeyburst_2.jpg

I checked out the Japanese shop pages on the EX,even contacted them about a pearl lavender one but no response.:(

Maybe it could be an EVH body?

MPM

I think the Axis EX body look like EVH body.. eg no tummy cut and toggle switch at the lower horn.

dlloyd

Axis_honeyburst.jpg

Have you checked the neck pocket for clues?

kompressaur

my guitar cant be a EVH - a couple of years back I had the neck off to shim it and iirc its stamped sometime in April 1998.Two things not like the EX are that its not a veneer top but a 1/4" one and is also bookmatched and not one piece.The serial on the neckplate reads G01001 and is not on the EBMM database either.
the guitar had BP scratching his head a bit when I first asked about it

Sub1 Zero

That's awesome Komp. Can you tell any sound or playability differences between it and a standard EB?

Lou

Basswood gets a bad rap because it is used on a lot of low end guitars. You never see it in a trans finish, so it's possible that you are getting a piece of basswood plywood or a multipiece guitar when you buy a cheapo. Not going to happen on a EBMM.

Tim O'Sullivan

Basswood gets a bad rap because it is used on a lot of low end guitars. You never see it in a trans finish, so it's possible that you are getting a piece of basswood plywood or a multipiece guitar when you buy a cheapo. Not going to happen on a EBMM.

All my Axis guitars have 2 and 3 piece bodies. Not that its a bad thing, as I believe its mostly done for strength.

Top Bottom