• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jul

Hello everyone! :)

I'd like to know when Ernie Ball made the Axis with Hardtail bridge and how much of these where made, which color was avalaible, etc... All infos you have!

Thanks a lot! ;)

TonyEVH5150

I know it was a transitional model that they made in between the EVH split and when the Sport/Supersport were made. I've owned two that were 1997 models. I've seen them in trans purple, trans amber, honeyburst, sunburst, trans red. I'm not sure if there were any other colors, but I think just about every color the Axis was available in.

Mine
DSC01656Medium.jpg

This one now belongs to forum member DaveB
DSC01484Small.jpg

Last edited:

Jul

Thanks TonyEVH5150 for the answer. Do you how long they made it ? 1years? 2years?

The Purple is amazing here!

Because it was not producted a lot, should it have a higher price than a "normal" Axis Floyd ?

Is it like a "collector" ?

DrBob

This forum's very own Tim O'Sullivan is something of a conoisseur on the topic of both the EVH and Axis hardtail models. I'm sure he'll be along in time to give you the lowdown on these lovely guitars

TonyEVH5150

Thanks TonyEVH5150 for the answer. Do you how long they made it ? 1years? 2years?

The Purple is amazing here!

Because it was not producted a lot, should it have a higher price than a "normal" Axis Floyd ?

Is it like a "collector" ?

I think it was only 1-2 years. Again, both of mine were from 1997, and the one on eBay right now is a 1998 model. I don't know the exact build number.

There weren't that many made, especially in certain colors. I think trans amber was the most common. Honeyburst and trans purple are on the rare side. I think they are a little bit of a collector's item, but it's only differnce from the ASS hardtail is the control configuration.

You'd think they would have a higher price than the current Axis/ASS, but I've been able to get both of mine for under $900 US. They seem to be selling for around $800-1000 US.

lenny

Well dude For $1000.00 BIN if you want it i would grab it ,thats a Fine Lookin Plank and i know i would spank it....Worth every cent!....I almost Lost My Stratus Blue A.S.S because i didnt pull the trigger ....dont make that Mistake!!!! KiLLER Flame top as well!!!!!:eek:

Tim O'Sullivan

This forum's very own Tim O'Sullivan is something of a conoisseur on the topic of both the EVH and Axis hardtail models. I'm sure he'll be along in time to give you the lowdown on these lovely guitars

Sit down children, and I shall begin! :D

The Axis Hardtail is such a great guitar! I have 3 of them, and as far as I know they have only ever been made in red, amber, sunburst and purple. The red I have was made on 5/96, the amber 9/98, and the sunburst 9/97. What is super rare on the Axis hardtail is a rosewood fingerboard. My sunburst has this, and I have only ever seen another rosewood fingerboard on a red example.

I also have a hardtail EVH, which was made on 12/94. There were only approx 600 of these made, 200 in each red, amber and purple. There were a couple of prototypes in sunburst made, but they never made them into production.

The 'Holy Grail' for me would be to find a green Axis hardtail, but I don't think this will ever happen!

Derek

Yes!

We offered the Red, Purple, and Gold in a non trem version starting 1/96

Rosewood boards were not available!

January 97 we offered another option in a non trem Sunburst! (Honey Burst now)

April 97 price list shows all 4 colors and a new rosewood option on all Axis Models.

For most of 97-98 this stayed the same until Jan 99 the non trem Axis was only available with a maple neck and Trans gold only! By 2000 the Supersport arrived and the Non trem Axis was history!

Since Green was not offered at this time it may be tough to find a non trem emerald green Axis! But if you do let me know and I'll take it!

GWDavis28

Jul did you get the PM I sent you?

Here's a picture of my Axis Sport hardtail.

CIMG0806.jpg

Glenn |B)

Tim O'Sullivan

Yes!

April 97 price list shows all 4 colors and a new rosewood option on all Axis Models.

For most of 97-98 this stayed the same until Jan 99 the non trem Axis was only available with a maple neck and Trans gold only! By 2000 the Supersport arrived and the Non trem Axis was history!

Since Green was not offered at this time it may be tough to find a non trem emerald green Axis! But if you do let me know and I'll take it!

It seems that I have the whole set! :D

And I will never find a green...........

Smellybum

Yes!

Derek Thanks for this, I can't help but wonder with the popularity if the Axis Hardtail would make a comeback in '08 ?? Poppa, you tempted ??!?!?

That said I suppose the supersport is pretty close, I really must find one to try, not one in a 300 mile radius - BUmmer!

jsmith

I am new to the site and to MusicMan Axis Guitars.. I love mine. I have a family friend that owned one, but sold it to me after years of begging. It is a '97 MusicMan Axis Hardtail in Trans Red in near perfect condition. Few light scratches on the back. How much is that guitar worth with the original case? I got an unbelieveable deal on it, but just curious to see what is is worth. I am not interested in selling, just nice to know the value of something.

Last edited:

Slav123

Welcome aboard and a pic would help. Is it a Quilt-Top or a Flame-Top and is there a lot of birdseye figuring on the maple neck and board?

Slav:)

Top Bottom