• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dlloyd

Not sure whether to put this question here or on the guitar side...

I've been thinking about getting a six string bass guitar. Not one of the B to C strung things like the Bongo 6, but one of those ones that are strung E to E, like a guitar but an octave down.

I don't have a lot of cash to commit to this. Originally I was looking at Fender Bass VIs, thinking I might be able to get a Japanese model cheap, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Then I got to wondering about the OLP MM5, which is basically a copy of the Silhouette Bass... they're a good price, but I want to check whether the real deal is in my price range or not.

A new one is out of the question... How frequently do these things pop up used? I've never seen one (new or used) in the flesh in the UK. How much do they go for in the US? And does anyone know of a shop that has a used one in stock?

Rod Trussbroken

...A new one is out of the question... How frequently do these things pop up used? I've never seen one (new or used) in the flesh in the UK. How much do they go for in the US? And does anyone know of a shop that has a used one in stock?

Sometimes one will come up on Ebay. I've seen two with a "Buy It Now" of around $1200 USD. I don't know if that's a good price or not.

dlloyd

That's encouraging.

If I can get one shipped to the UK for $1000, I might well go for it.

dlloyd

That's cool, will do!

They don't seem to be that easy to find. I will bide my time...

mynan

Hey sorry for the hijack, but what is the difference between the silo bass and the baritone JP...aside from the obvious? Are they the same scale and tuning?

large.jpg

Last edited:

Sweat

Well some differences are going to be JP has a trem, peizo and different pickups, not sure on the scale or tunings though that is a good question.

mynan

I just looked over on the skinny-string side. The baritone JP is a 27.5" scale. The silo bass is a 29 5/8 scale.

kompressaur

the OLP MM5 is rarely in stock with those stores advertsing it in the UK.I tried a few places back in September and was told the next shipment was due in November.I should have put down some cash on one as they were gone/spoken for by November
since then,I seem to recall reading somewhere they were being discontinued.

I would have liked one like this pearl blue/maple rather than the black/rosewood

Olp mm5 Baritone Pearl Blue Playback 366 € Exc VAT

dlloyd

the OLP MM5 is rarely in stock with those stores advertsing it in the UK.I tried a few places back in September and was told the next shipment was due in November.I should have put down some cash on one as they were gone/spoken for by November
since then,I seem to recall reading somewhere they were being discontinued.

I would have liked one like this pearl blue/maple rather than the black/rosewood

Olp mm5 Baritone Pearl Blue Playback 366 € Exc VAT

Hi Keir, how's things?

I was tempted by this, but I'm going to hang back and see if I can find a reasonably priced Silhouette.

Olp Mm5 six string bass, aka baritone guitar west end Glasgow musical instruments amps for sale

dlloyd

Hey sorry for the hijack, but what is the difference between the silo bass and the baritone JP...aside from the obvious? Are they the same scale and tuning?

large.jpg

Lovely, isn't it?

Apart from it being way, way out of my league price-wise (BFR), it's firmly in 'baritone guitar' territory. It's tuned higher than a Sihouette... I'm not sure how JP tunes his, but guitars of this scale are typically tuned to BEADF#B and I'm after one that's tuned to EADGBE, the lower four strings tuned the same as a bass.

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/mus...s-flash-new-john-petrucci-baritone-works.html

The nomenclature is confusing to say the least.

kompressaur

the unrepentant

What's the deal with those sihouettes? I've seen them before, they just look like baritone guitars.... anyone fancy explaining it to a n00b?

dlloyd

What's the deal with those sihouettes? I've seen them before, they just look like baritone guitars.... anyone fancy explaining it to a n00b?

They're 30" scale (well, 29 5/8") guitars that are tuned an octave below a regular guitar. The lowest four strings are tuned the same as a four string bass.

There doesn't appear to be any real consensus as to what to call them. They (well, instruments like them) used to be called six string basses, but say that term nowadays and people think you're talking about a bass with an added low B and high C.

An alternative name is 'tic-tac bass', and a lot of people call them baritone guitars, but then some reserve that for guitars tuned to BEADF#B or ADGCEA.

When it comes down to it, who cares what it's called, as long as it sounds good?

the unrepentant

ah, cool cheers. Is it kinda like a piccolo bass at all then?

Also are they played as the bass role or guitar role in a band or are they an entirely seperate thing?

dlloyd

ah, cool cheers. Is it kinda like a piccolo bass at all then?.

Piccolo basses are the other extreme, bass guitars, usually shorter scale, tuned an octave higher, like the lower four strings of a guitar.

Also are they played as the bass role or guitar role in a band or are they an entirely seperate thing?

Whatever takes your fancy, I guess. Jack Bruce, amongst others, used one (Fender bass VI) as a bass for a while. Robert Smith from the Cure uses one more as a guitar.

Top Bottom