• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

horton

hi, noob here.

what gauge would you recommend for a LEs Paul?

because now im using super slinky gauge 9-42.

are this enough?

thanks

TNT

Noob,

Your post really brightened up my day!!!:)

If you insist on playing a Les Paul just be sure to use Super Slinkys 10's. i.e., because of the less string "tension" on that scale guitar.

horton

Noob,

Your post really brightened up my day!!!:)

If you insist on playing a Les Paul just be sure to use Super Slinkys 10's. i.e., because of the less string "tension" on that scale guitar.

so that means my my current gauge of 9-42 has greater tension?

please enlighten. I think 10's are thicker right?so would that mean thicker strings, lesser tension?or the other way around?

im confused.

please.thanks

TNT

No. Your 9's on YOUR guitar (24.75" scale Les Paul) have less tension than the 9's on MY guitar (25.5 scale Axis).

So, because of that comparision you can put 10's on and STILL have less tension than 9's on another 25.5" scale guitar. Hence, "looser" strings on a Les Paul.

That's the comparison of how string tension is different on all guitars. So, in that respect, generally speaking you can now go for some larger gauge strings without feeling that they will be too stiff.

Also, you'll notice that the fret spacing is slightly different as well. I don't have the exact spec's on that.

Please other forumites feel free to chime in if you'd like.:)

Last edited:

horton

gauge

No. Your 9's on YOUR guitar (24.75" scale Les Paul) have less tension than the 9's on MY guitar (25.5 scale Axis).

So, because of that comparision you can put 10's on and STILL have less tension than 9's on another 25.5" scale guitar. Hence, "looser" strings on a Les Paul.

That's the comparison of how string tension is different on all guitars. So, in that respect, generally speaking you can now go for some larger gauge strings without feeling that they will be too stiff.

Also, you'll notice that the fret spacing is slightly different as well. I don't have the exact spec's on that.

Please other forumites feel free to chime in if you'd like.:)

i only have a les paul copy. strange it has only 21 frets out of the standard of 22 frets.mmmmm

anyway, I'll take ur advise, hope it wont hurt my neck and bow it significantly.=)

thanks anyway.

EB forum indeed has helpful members!=)

horton

oh and lastly.
what would you recommend?

.10 - 1st string
? - 2nd string
? - 3rd string
? -4th string
? - 5th string
? - 6th String

TNT

Horton,

Jd, just gave you the string gauges in the prior post.

However, do you know how to adjust a truss rod correctly when you change strings?? If not, you really should have a competent friend or a tech go over that with you, BECAUSE there are many other issues you may not have considered; i.e., intonation, neck bow, etc. . .being a couple of them.

Good luck!!:)

Top Bottom