• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

NotPer

Hello forum-mates...!

I intend to buy an officially music man licenced OLP bass, u know, this one resembling the stingray4.
Does anyone have any recommendations? This is the only bass I can afford at that point of time so I'd like to know anything you know about that bass...(I mean don't tell me to buy a stingray instead...:) )

Many thanx in advance..!

Psychicpet

I've tied some OLPs and they seem like great basses and a great place to start if you're wanting the StingRay sound and feel.They're a good price too. Have fun with it!

bovinehost

Administrator
I've given a few of them a test drive and the quality isn't as consistent as the USA built basses. I mean, it's a much less expensive bass, so you wouldn't expect it to be up to the same standards, right?

But you need to play a few to find a good one. What are these going for now? I ask because you know the SUB basses are out there now, not as expensive as the regular Stingrays, and are of much higher quality than the OLPs....but I do understand budget constraints! Just a suggestion.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Jack

miloz

i have olp.its better made than SUB.if u find one with low action and no buzzing go for it.take maple freatboard and replace strings with super slinky.it sounds better than SUB if u make ureself a GAINER o can find plan on net.i playit through behringer bx 600 and it sounds cool.Couse pick up is preaty good i will install a aguilar OBP 3 on it.dont care if all tells u not to buy it ,if u found in love vith it go for it its good bass.

uvapete

save up for the stingray

I thought about getting the OLP and tried one out at Guitar Center. It was nice but didn't have the same punchy tone as the stingray (probably due to the lack of active electronics?)

They run for about 230$ now.

I figured I'd end up getting a stingray eventually becuase in the past when I've bought the cheap version of something I always end up getting the real deal.

I'm happy that I spent the extra $$ for the real deal.

If you can get over the fact that it is not a stingray and the sound isn't quite the same then from everything I've read (harmony-central, ZZounds, music 123 and the like) the OLP is a great bass for the money.

But its not a stingray.

Pete

Disquieter

get the black one with the matching headstock.

thats some sexy gear.

joel D.

NotPer

Thanx for the immediate response guys!:cool:

Of course I know that this is not a stingray, but I just want to get something as near as possible to that sound and pay that amount of money...

So I think that from what you've said by now the OLP sounds a good solution.

P.S. Yes, I liked the black one too, really cool!:cool:

Thanx again guys!;)

marshmellomann

MILOZ dude my bass looks exactly like that but only its five string instead, ive been meaning to try the super slinkys are they better then the regular slinky?

flywheel

you might try the Dillion's also if you're looking for a Stingray clone. I'm pretty happy with mine b/c it has real nice tone. It has a passive pickup but I've used it at live shows and it sounds nice. The Dillion's have a maple body with an ash veneer so they look real nice and they have more weight to the body which I believe adds sustain. The OLP's have basswood bodies. I did play an OLP MM2 a little while back though and was impressed by the way the rosewood fretboard played.

That's the only thing I don't like about my Dillion is the fretboard. It just doesn't have the feel of a good, quality bass.

I'll include a pic. The Dillion is the one on the right.

Last edited:

Mobay45

The first thing I notice on all of the clones is the sub-standard bridge. It just doesn't seem that it would cost that much more to add some heft to the bridges and it would make them have a lot better sustain. When I built my P clone, I added a Leo Quan Bad Ass II bridge and it really does play and sound pretty good. BTW, there's nothing wrong with basswood bodies. Otherwise EB wouldn't use it on the Bongo. It just needs to have a solid finish because it doesn't have a very pretty grain to it.

Dees

I always like the Stingray, but never had the money to afford one. So I bought a second hand OLP (a shiny blue one, some people even called it baby-blue:p ). After some serious playing with the OLP, I decided I really wanted a Stingray (the OLP was perfect on discovering how the SR feeling, and especially the neck, was).
I think the best thing for you is to check 2nd hand stuff, and if you can afford a 2nd hand SR or SUB, go ahead, you probably won't regret. But an OLP also plays nice, and it is a good bass to fool around with later (you can always install a new PU or bridge or whatever afterwards and not to be concearned ruining a 1800 euro bass)

stingraybassman

i have the black OLP with matching headstock, and it is a far better bass than anything else in the price range, period.

Ian Perge

Get 'yer guns! It's the Zombie Thread Apocalypse ;)

(...and you can tell my thoughts in the OLP vs SUB Debate by the Music Man Basses I currently own)

Top Bottom