• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GHWelles

Why is it that some guitars of the same scale length can take .010's and feel like
.009's, while other guitars need the .009's to be flexible enough?

ShaneV

Guitars with a locking nut or a sharp angle going over the nut (either from a string tree or some other source) typically have a much stiffer feel than guitars with a softer angle from tuning peg to nut. That said, I prefer tens or higher on everything, nines feel like wet spaghetti :D

Last edited:

GHWelles

I agree that a locking nut makes it feel much stiffer. But I notice a difference on virtually identical guitars. No locking nut.

TNT

What gives you a "looser" string feel?

9's on an Axis (Floyd and 25.5 scale) or 9's on a Les Paul (stoptail and 24.75 scale)?? One of them is (law of physics) more slack/looser.

Then when played, the other seemingly becomes scientifically more slack.

whitestrat

don't forget the bridges... a floating bridge will always feel harder to bend than a fixed bridge... simply because you'd have to bend more to get the note you want.

beej

I'd say action. Strings might be *barely* lower to the fretboard, but can feel like there's hardly any tension there when it's easier to play. I notice it on my guitars- once I get them set up right the strings feel so much lighter.

gerry d

I've had this experience over the years and the truth is every guitar is different... some just feel better... even the same model... my friends old workhorse Luke feels fantastic with 10's... much better than mine but I just think that guitar is played in so much... mine will feel much the same in a few more years... but I think it has to do with a lot of factors... some guitars just ring or vibrate better than others and those are the ones that play easy..

Gywhard

Guitars with a locking nut or a sharp angle going over the nut (either from a string tree or some other source) typically have a much stiffer feel than guitars with a softer angle from tuning peg to nut. That said, I prefer tens or higher on everything, nines feel like wet spaghetti :D

compleately agree with you.

emkey

I tune my guitar to D standard and I use 10's RPS, I love them in this set up, if I play in E standard I use 9s. The flex, feel and grip are just awesome!

best,
Mike

GHWelles

Agree its probably a combination. The tension of the springs on the floating bridge, the action, and the intangible of a different guitar...

V_S

The same is true for the bridge and the tailpiece. I know most MMs have no tailpiece. But on my Les Paul lowering the tailpiece and increasing the angle at the bridge makes the strings feel stiffer.

TNT

(If comparing same string on different guitars)

1. The string on a 25.5 scale is literally tighter than the same string on a 24.75 scale. To get them both at equal pitch the "longer" string needs more tension (hence harder to bend).

2. When bending on a Floyd (as previously mentioned) the trem springs give in to the bend, resulting in a A. looser feel B. necessary longer bend to capture note, depending on how much the springs stretch

Tone?

Did 'cha read it???

i just read it again and it still wowed me.
Its got some awesome points in it from Zerb. real knowledgeable guy.

tell me what you thought of it.

cheers!

Top Bottom