• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jazzbo jim

First of all-I am glad to be back. Health issues have kept me from posting recently but I am on the mend.
Secondly, I DO NOT WANT THIS THREAD TO TURN INTO AN EDDIE DISCUSSION or DEBATE!!
I am simply looking for an amp worthy of my 3 EBMM Axis and I hear this one is a winner.
So..................has anyone one played one? Opinions/alternatives?
I'm all ears!

Smellybum

Hey Jim welcome back

I was in a music shop yesterday and heard someone playing on it - I wasn't to impressed, he twiddled knobs for ages and was playig a Les Paul custom.... couldn't get a good tone dialled in....

Buy a marshall fella!!!

Astrofreq

Jazzbo!

Good to see you are back in action. I actually played through one of these yesterday at Guitar Center. It's hard to tell what this amp really sounds like without cranking it. I only got to put it onto about 1/2. I can say that the first 2 channels were pretty amazing. The distortion channel seemed okay, but that was at a low volume. It probably cranks at high volumes.

I think I'm so biased to my Tech 21 PSA-1 that no 'real' amp seem to cut it.

TonyEVH5150

Hey Jim welcome back

I was in a music shop yesterday and heard someone playing on it - I wasn't to impressed, he twiddled knobs for ages and was playig a Les Paul custom.... couldn't get a good tone dialled in....

Buy a marshall fella!!!

I think his problem was more of a guitar issue than the amp. :D

petruccirocks02

Jim, nice to have you back! I played the 5150 III numerous times and loved it. Tons of gain on tap and the amp is real dynamic. The only thing I didn't like about it was the clean channel. It breaks up very easily.

-Phil

Last edited:

beej

Hey Anthony- good to see ya back man!

I haven't played one, but a few guys I trust have and I've read tons of reviews. Consensus seems to be Ch 1 is a decent but not great clean, Ch 2 is great for EVH sounds and Ch 3 is over the top. I've heard a few guys say it sounds notably better through the matching cab or a good set of Greenbacks.

For alternatives, what sound are you trying to get? If I was in the market for a "brown sound" amp I'd look at one of the Metro '69 clones and an attenuator or the Blankenship Variplex. Guys have raved about the latter, it'll get that sound and is basically a great sounding Plexi which will play at lower volumes. (Comes with a Variac but the heater current is limited so it doesn't go low.) No FX loop on either, though.

Wide'Iwas

I own it and everything beej has said is right on target I use the head through a straight jmc 800 cab 75 watts speakers and I think the evh cab would be a better match the marshall I get way too much low end and it gives a HUGH woof on drop d .

But other then that it has alot less sizzle as to the original peavey. My friends that own the boogies keep coming over to try it I think they are thinking of dumping there boogies for it......

Beach Radio

I spent 45 minutes on one with my Axis. Channel 3 was too over the top for me. Channel 2 blew my mind - I ripped through some Husker Du stuff and it was complete Zen (even though I played most of it poorly). Channel 1 was nice - I wish I had a chorus pedal to try on that Channel 1....
IMHO, it was a great stack....

lumberjack

Hey Jim,

Glad to have ya back. And glad you're feeling better.:)

Here's a Guitar World Youtube link that shows a preview of the amp.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQJW-XHWURU"]YouTube - EVH 5150 III - Preview Video ![/ame]

Here's another one I thought was interesting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8EQTHwIlY"]YouTube - Edward Van Halen - Talks about his classic tone & amp #2[/ame]

Scott

Last edited:

kneeoh

Tried one through a matching cab. Pretty nice amp, took a while to dial in but once there, it snarls nicely. Would I buy one? No, only because I love my Egnater Mod 50 and its ability to be a lot of different things depending on my muse. The 5150 is nice though.

slukather

Hey Jim,

Glad you are healthy again, welcome back.

Of all the videos l've seen and sound clips l've heard, l'm not really fond of this amp, a local store is going to be getting one in soon, l might give it a go, but for the price l'd rather go for something else, but there are a lot of people that love this amp, but l did notice that after this amp came out a lot of people bought it, then l noticed that there were a lot of second hand ones for sale, what does that mean??? who knows.

Scott.

Astrofreq

but l did notice that after this amp came out a lot of people bought it, then l noticed that there were a lot of second hand ones for sale, what does that mean??? who knows.

You could say that about the Rosewood Axis's too, but those are KILLER guitars.

Mick

Good amp sold some and they are all happy, but the Insert Point for effects is after the masters. Just to let you know. Good amp otherwise, and use the cab too.
And now go to a Fender Forum, youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........

joe web

a good friend of mine is using the amp.
if you wanna have a clean channel don´t turn up the gain more than 9 o´clock - nearly the same it with the mastervolume of this channel - channel one cracks up very early. but have you ever heard EVH playing a dry cleansound? ;)
channel two is it! nice lowend punch, very nice overall tone and enough gain for solos as well.
on channel three i´, missing the nice lowend of channel two. it´s more biting, more aggressive and has gain over the top.

i played the amp through my marshall 4x12 cabs with V30+G12T75 speakers mixed.
overall you get a nice amp for that money.

here is a sample of the amp with drums and bass:
http://www.nefkom.net/anned/Demo Instrumental CC.mp3

only the amp:
http://www.nefkom.net/anned/Demo Git gesamt CC.mp3

here is another sample:
http://www.nefkom.net/anned/the hollow - di-reamping.mp3

the band you hear is "the hollow" from nuremberg.
i´m recording and mixinging their first CD at the moment.

musicmmann007

It could also be because of the economy as well? Anyways, has anyone compared the new amp to the old 5150? Just wondering.

Top Bottom