• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Aussie Mark

Best answer - Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes

General answer - pure lemon or orange oil does a good job of cleaning and nourishing. NB. Orange oil is one of the main ingredients in the EB Wonder Wipes fingerboard variety.

Hellboy

Best answer - Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes

General answer - pure lemon or orange oil does a good job of cleaning and nourishing. NB. Orange oil is one of the main ingredients in the EB Wonder Wipes fingerboard variety.

I´ve been told that lemon oil actually can ruin maple fretboards if you´re not very thorough taking off ALL excessive oil afterwards. Orange oil is much prefered on maple fretboards since lemon oil actually can make a maple fretboard crack if you do it wrong.

Correct me if I´ve been told wrong.....

Sincerely//Jan

GGK

Fretboard

Funny, I was at the dealer that sold me my Sterling yesterday. I did buy some EB Guitar Polish (winder wipes) When I asked about the W-Wipes for the fretboard, he told me to use them only if the board was rosewood or ebony. He suggested as I was informed originally to use the gunstock oil and wax. Has anyone used the w-wipes on a maple board? if so what were the results? Tks

mynan

Has anyone used the w-wipes on a maple board? if so what were the results? Tks

I haven't, but the folks at EBMM recommend them for a maple board...you just have to wipe away the excess as it doesn't get absorbed into the wood like on a rosewood board.

5Stringer

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Surprisingly enough, we have switched to using Wonder Wipes here at the Music Man factory, as well. It is extremely good for all of the wood and - here is the dirty secret - it doesn't ruin your strings! So you can use it any time and all the time.

Dan

Rano Bass

When I asked about the W-Wipes for the fretboard, he told me to use them only if the board was rosewood or ebony. He suggested as I was informed originally to use the gunstock oil and wax.

IIRC on the W-Wipes fretboard conditioner says that it works with rosewood, ebony, and non finished fretboards.
If you have a finished maple board (laquer) don't use them.

I use orange oil and every four to six months a little wax.

mammoth

Funny, I was at the dealer that sold me my Sterling yesterday. I did buy some EB Guitar Polish (winder wipes) When I asked about the W-Wipes for the fretboard, he told me to use them only if the board was rosewood or ebony. He suggested as I was informed originally to use the gunstock oil and wax. Has anyone used the w-wipes on a maple board? if so what were the results? Tks

gunstock oil for the back of the neck methinks! :)

PiTRiFF

Surprisingly enough, we have switched to using Wonder Wipes here at the Music Man factory, as well. It is extremely good for all of the wood and - here is the dirty secret - it doesn't ruin your strings! So you can use it any time and all the time.

Dan

You cant get a better answer than the one from the guys in the factory!

keko

With Wonder Wipes You can really refresh Your maple FB, but it can not be cleaned all the way!

Look at my recent photo it's fresh wiped maple FB of my Sterling (still wet) and You'll see some dirt at the first 5-7 frets around G, D & A strings! (mostly played)

In the future I do have a plan how to clean it deeper and after that "secret" treatment finished with Wonder Wipes!
I don't want to recommend anybody this treatment until I try it on my bass, so please be patient! (you see, my mother is Chemistry engineer and she really know how to treat something with something)

Last edited:

MadMatt

My fretboud looked as bad as the one above. I used 00 steel wool to do a deep clean on it and I was able to remove all the dicoloration. It dirtied up real fast so I put a little thought into preventive measures.

My play was to seal the pores of the fret side of the nex, leaving the back side open to breath. Since tung oil is not readily available here in Germany I decided to seal the board with an all natural beeswax based wax I've had good results with in the past. The thing I did not want to happen is get a build up. I only did this to the front, fretted side. The back is left uncoated.

After tapeing up the areas around the body, headstock and covers. I simply applied the wax with my finger and let it dry for an hour. I then buffed all excess wax off with steel wool. I repeated this 3 times with a final polish with a terry cloth towel. The result appears to have sealed the pores. I say appears as I've only been playing for a week after this treatment. The neck still looks as clean as the day I did it with whiping after each session so I think this is a good approach for those who can't find high quality tung oil or simply dont like the smell of it. I personaly Love the smell of Beeswax :eek: The neck has a little more luster than previously with no buildup or sticky feeling.

I hope that helps

-M@

PiTRiFF

I just picked up a Stingray and the maple fretboard was filthy. I used the wonder wipes Fretboard Conditioner and spent a good amount of time on the fretboard and it looks amazing. Just be sure to wipe the neck down when you are done. Great Product!

Last edited:

Mr.Mow

Sorry to Zombie this thread..

What can one use to clean a maple board when EB wonder wipes are not available? (no one here seems to stock em)..

A gentle application of lemon oil? (I'm talking small dab on paper towel and gentle wipe..)

stoneboy26

Mr.Mow - I've seen you on the Ozbass forum so am going to guess you are in Australia. Allans Music stocks them. You could also try Bass Centre or Bass People.

Top Bottom