• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

sfam198

I'm looking to buy a 1988 model Sillouhette, but the seller doesn't have much information on the guitar. He bought it used in 1990, and says it was stock when he bought it. It has sat in its case since then and he's only played it once or twice. What would be different about this guitar spec-wise from the current production models? It has a Music Man hardtail bridge, string through body, HSH pickup config (bridge and neck have covers on them). Any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

candid_x

This isn't official but differences would probably include Grover tuners as opposed to locking Schaller tuners, DiMarzio PAF pro humbuckers as opposed to a Virtual PAF, the neck plate may be recessed as opposed to being flush, the trem bridges were different but not sure about the hardtails.

sfam198

thanks for the info. it looks like there aren't many differences that couldn't be changed to update it to current specs. i just looked at it again and it has a 6-screw neck plate, which is different from the curren 5-screw plate so it may in fact be the recessed one.

candid_x

Forgot to mention the 6 screw plate, yup. Since it's a hardtail, I don't image the 6 screw bridge will affect anything. I don't know if you'd need to do any drilling or filling to convert to Schaller locking tuners.

sfam198

thanks for the help. i think i'm just gonna pull the trigger on it. if i don't end up liking it, i'm sure i can unload it fairly quickly.

beej

Sounds like a great guitar. You can easily add the locking tuners- you have to drill a small hole to get them right, but it's pretty easy. I've done it on two old ones. Makes a big difference to tuning stability if this is a gigging guitar.

John C

I'm pretty sure an '88 EBMM would have Schaller non-locking tuners. I think the Grover tuners were only used on the early Silo Specials (and the handful of Albert Lees that have the Wilkinson Trem from that era) - and they were Grover's original locking models that used the key to lock the string to the top of the post.

Also, didn't the original Silo hardtail bridge have cast saddles with rollers in them, or am I remembering something else?

A couple of other things - a 1988 should also have a satin lacquer finish neck since the oil/wax didn't come in until 1991. Not sure about the pickups; most of the early Silos I've seen had uncovered Schaller pickups but someone here has a 1986 Silo with covered Schaller pickups.

sfam198

thanks for all the info. i'm in the process of closing the deal so hopefully i'll have it in a couple days. here's a pic

ws5kbd.jpg

meenahga

I believe the pickups are schaller. I love the old six bolts. Almost bought this one, but timing was wrong. If I got it, I wouldn't change anything. Someday, I believe these older Silos will be worth some big money. It is after all, 20 years old already. I have an 89 and it doesn't have any problems staying in tune.

marantz1300

Mine are schaller on my 89 silo.Stamped made in W.Germany.My bridge has rollers,but it's a trem (I'd prefer a hard tail) and my pickups are active emg's although I don't know if they were standard. That's a beautiful guitar you have.

5Stringer

Ernie Ball Customer Service
I'm looking to buy a 1988 model Sillouhette, but the seller doesn't have much information on the guitar. He bought it used in 1990, and says it was stock when he bought it. It has sat in its case since then and he's only played it once or twice. What would be different about this guitar spec-wise from the current production models? It has a Music Man hardtail bridge, string through body, HSH pickup config (bridge and neck have covers on them). Any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

Actually a 1988 model Slhouette would have

* Schaller hardware
* Schaller pickups (that's right!)
* 6-bolt neck
* possibly a real 80's color (Seafoam or Peach for example)
* possibly a conversion varnish finish
* a finished neck
* probably would be a really cool guitar

Dan

Top Bottom