• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Smellybum

Hi John,

I know I could have done this with a PM but I thought I'd share as your skills deserver some exposure!

I've been watching your You Tube stuff, very impressive, but the reason I'm threading this is I'm interested in your Amp tone, I have an axis, and for the last 15 years have been a solid Marshall player for my heavier tone, I bought some rack gear, binned my marshall but I'm looking for a valve amp tone.

I noticed you're using the Bugera - they seem very impressive for little money - can you share your thoughts on what a Ball sounds through them, It doesn't bother me if they're a one trick pony - at that money I couldn't care! - I have a fender hot rod deluxe for my Luke & ALs, but my Axis and SUb need something heavier, hope you've got some good stories!

And on your clips are you straight into the amp? - or does your sound go via FX Ville

Mods - this isn't meant to be off thread, as It's all about my ball tone, however if you feel it's wandering please let me know and I'll do this behind closed doors

Thanks ye all.
Smelly

DaPatrooch

Well I played the 333XL last month, and I was impressed by it. It looked and sounded like a Peavey. They are really cool amps, so they're definitely worth checking out. I didn't have my JP with me, but it still sounded good! From what I've heard they're pretty reliable, but I would see if you can play one yourself and see what you think. John probably has better info, so...yeah.

John Denner

BUGERA 333XL John Denner

I'm going straight into the Amp it's all in how you set up your EQ...

I'm also using Phil Hilbornes signature pedal sort of a BOOST/Compression
other than that it is what it is..

Maybe Music Man sent a MAGIC Axis to Phil's studio because the guitar in the video is not my Tobacco Burst!

I would also like to add when I plug my Super Sport Axis into the Bugera on the clean channel with the Reverb up around 65% it gets an amazing punch that would challenge and Fender Blues Deluxe!

I never use the LEAD Channel...
Crunch and Clean!

I hope this helps?

John Denner

Smellybum

Nice one John, thanks

Yeah Spud, this could be a winner! - I'm off to Englandshire tomorrow, for a family break, there happens to be 3 music shops in the area, might head on in and check out these Bugera chats....

The only problem is the 16u flight case I just bought to start a rack with 2u used for FX! - Might have to take a hacksaw to it!!!

Thanks again John, keep doin' it.

:D

Tim O'Sullivan

Nice one John, thanks

Yeah Spud, this could be a winner! - I'm off to Englandshire tomorrow, for a family break, there happens to be 3 music shops in the area, might head on in and check out these Bugera chats....

The only problem is the 16u flight case I just bought to start a rack with 2u used for FX! - Might have to take a hacksaw to it!!!

Thanks again John, keep doin' it.

:D

16u racks... those were the days!

koogie2k

So, you are not running any effects? Just straight amp? BTW, I like the Bugera's...I think they are great amps. :cool:

candid_x

I'm with you, Smelly. That's why I don't get the point of recording Ball sound samples that aren't miked directly from a real amp.

Wonder if Bugera has plans for a low watt number any time soon?

John, man, always an inspiration. Wish you the best on this new project.

Bruce

MrMusashi

the 4x12 cab that bugera has doesnt deliver as much bottom power as the peavey cab, but if you take bang for the buck it cant be beaten!
here in norway the 6505 with cab is 3x more expensive than the bugera counterpart :)

my fav is the 333xl, i also dont particularily like the higain channels (on both the 333 and 626x) but thats probably because im not that into the heavier genres. to much fizz for me as soon as there are more than three 12ax7 tubes in the preamp section ;)

another bonus is that you can use either 6L6 or EL34 tubes. just insert new tubes, flick a switch, measure the plate current on the provided bias measure points and adjust it on the potensiometer :)

MrM

Top Bottom