• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Letz_Rock

Can anyone tell me is it normal to feel like a sort of fuzzy feeling from the trem arm on my guitar when it's plugged into my amp?
if i run my hand or finger along the trem arm i sort of feel like a current not strong but definately there i can also feel the same thing on the metal front on my amp the strip where all the knobs are?

i have felt this before but i just wondered was this normal.:eek:

Spudmurphy

I used to get them from a Shure microphone. One day (more than 20 years ago) whilst playing in Germany had a real bad electrical shock.
So coming from experience, get the guitar checked out at a dealers- and get some kind of "breaker" on your electrical system. Try it in another house/ venue to see if the problem goes away. Use a different combination of power/guitar cables. See if anybody else experiences anything when they touch the guitar (don't say anything to them before hand so iyou don't get a Psychosematic response).
I have had no issues like this with my EB's

Edit

Just seen your other post about a crackly (static) trem bar - get it checked out - probably just a ground issue - but get it checked out.

Last edited:

spkirby

OK so if you are getting this sensation from an Axis, a Wolfgang and also via amp head(s) then I would suspect that the house/venue power circuit is not earthed properly. First things first, plug your amp into a circuit breaker power strip or just play acoustically for today...you can never be too careful. As Spud says, try another venue and/or get the amp checked out.

TNT

No, it is absolutely NOT normal!! Does it happen from time to time, yes.

Troubleshoot and locate the source then remedy that situation, because it CAN produce a schock to your disliking, at sometime in the future under certain conditions.

Jack FFR1846

I used to have this happen back in the day with an amp without a grounded plug. The amp (an old Guild...from the late 60's) had a polarity switch on the back. If I plugged in and got a shock, I'd switch the polarity switch and all would be well.

Assuming you've got a newer amp, you have a ground prong on the plug. If you still get a shock, then the wiring in the building is seriously messed up and dangerous. Think about changing a light bulb. The grounded (neutral) should be at the outside of the socket....where you could come in contact with it. It's also not off when the switch is off!

jack

tonemeister

Most definitely a grounding issue!!!! Either there is a problem with the ground on the guitar, the amp, the house current or a combination thereof. It can be a very serious, life threatening issue if not dealt with. Really! I would start with the AC voltage from the wall, then the amp, then the guitar!

marillion-freak

Most definitely a grounding issue!!!! Either there is a problem with the ground on the guitar, the amp, the house current or a combination thereof. It can be a very serious, life threatening issue if not dealt with. Really! I would start with the AC voltage from the wall, then the amp, then the guitar!

If anyone wants to know how serious this can be...check the link.

Keith Relf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

floyd99

have you tried a different power point/outlet in your house?

i had my house earth checked and the very first power point the electrician looked at (by pure coincidence) the earth wire was completely disconnected... and of all places it happened to be the outlet in the bathroom ! The rest were all fine.

of course it could be the entire house - a simple issue in the circuit box outside, or the earth wire from the box not being attached to a proper earthing stake in the ground might make your whole house unsafe.. like the others said, take your amp next door and see if it happens there!

Mayor Stoner

" I'm with Mr. O'Sullivan.
I really like my wireless - it's great to have the freedom, but more because it's safer than being tied 'directly' to a potentially fatal electric current.
You ever been popped on the mouth by a faulty mic ?
It's like being hit with a fist. Definitely have all that stuff checked out. " M.S.

Nemesys

As has been said, get that fixed. If you can feel the current when you touch your guitar's bridge, the potential on it is over 30 volts, which can be life-threatening under some circumstances.

This doesn't indicate that there is a problem with your guitar. Actually, just the opposite: The bridge of your guitar is connected to the output jack's ground, which, when everything is connected properly is connected to your electrical socket's earth ground. The reason for this is that six 2-foot lengths of wire, and human beings, make excellent antennas, so both you and your guitar are grounded so that any stray EMF is shunted away from your signal path.

Ripper

Its either your power plug of the amp to its electric source, or your guitar cable that is not properly grounded.

I got this problem too. My guitar cable is the culprit. Bought a canare cable with neutrik jacks- problem solved, no more shock!

SharonG

If anyone wants to know how serious this can be...check the link.

Keith Relf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No kidding - this can do you in - it's a grounding problem, as several folks have already said. That much voltage is potentially very harmful. I had an amp w/ no ground that used to do this and I had the power cord replaced with a grounded cord - problem solved.

tommyindelaware

i was on a studio date in the late 70's. it had a concrete floor. another guitarist buddy of mine was across the room playing a tele through a 2 pronger fender pro reverb . he was barefoot. he was fine til he sat down on the amp w/ his bare leg on the chassis screw that went through to the top . he had to be revieved in the hospital. his heart did stop. luckily.....he is still around.......& giging.
proper grounding is serious business.
& just because your rig is wired w/ a 3 prong plug does not guarantee that the receptical you are useing IS properly grounded. i carry a tester on every gig. ALOT of clubs have shabby or imprperly grounded recepticals

Last edited:

dg5150

This is a serious problem !! Get the amp checked for earthing problem , and get the 240v ring main checked by a qualified electrician . You are getting a voltage leaking to earth !!! Trust me , get this sorted out by qualified electricians / amp repair men !! or you wont be here for too long to tell us about it !!

Doug

Astrofreq

Some call it Rock Shock. It's where you are rocking so hard, the brainwaves created by your cranium cannot contain your rock vibes. I even heard of an instance where Krokus experienced such Rock Shock that the entire audience dropped dead. Be thankful your fans are still alive.

Top Bottom