• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GigDoggy

Answers to this thread are intended to be posted in a topic I am preparing on anecdotes and advice on how to fire a band member, all of which will be taken form band quotes.

All stories are welcome. If you just want to share but don't want to have your quote in the topic, just mention it.

You can check out the GigDoggy blog at:
The way bands do it

Thanks

Jimmyb

Move the whole band to another country, without telling whoever it is you want to get rid of.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
I don't have any pithy quotes for you, but I've always found it best to just be straightforward and respectful about it. Do your best to part on good terms.

Acknowledge that everyone has their own strengths, but for whatever reason...chemistry (personalities), approach to music, the direction the band is taking, commitment level, whatever... it's just not working out and the band feels that it would be best if there was a parting of the ways.

It's never a good idea to turn the band meeting where you fire the person into a bitchfest. Drama is for soap operas.

GigDoggy

'It's not you, It's me' is like a universal rule to say to anybody you wanna get rid of.
Good Call.

Forgot to mention, please leave me a myspace, website whatever link you want so i can add it to the quote.

And If any of you are interested in tellin' their band stories, I try to post quote-topics every week, so feel free to share.

Just let me know and Ill put you on my list

Cheers

GigDoggy

GHWelles

I think the way Jack Black got fired from his band in "School of Rock" is the standard to aspire to . . .

koogie2k

No great band stories, I am the one who has to get rid of said band member. I do it face to face as I think they should get treated with respect. Unless of course, they steal something like my one ex band member did and I got him a date with Bubba at the cross bar Hilton. :cool:

maryjstar89

it will not be easy regardless, just be as honest as possible and hope they are grown up about it

TNT

". . . you know (typically a rhythm guitar player) we're just holding you back from your potential. There's so much more you can do without us.

And, since you don't use the same brand instruments as the rest of us, well, all we ask is that you remember us when your famous on Jimmy Kimmel live".

parker1963

Boy am I going to stay the hell out of this one.

:)

here i'll dive into this.

The main thing is to be up front with the person talk to them face to face always making eye contact and be strong.I would make sure to be prepared with the main points you want to make but also be willing to listen to them and let them feel as though they were given a "say" and able to express themselves fully.But dont back away from the mission at hand and stick to your guns.....there is no going back at this point and any show of indecision will fuel their hope of a change of mind.
Sometimes you have to be a little cruel to be kind.:)

This advice comes from years of having to work with staff and sometimes even having to fire someone.But could be used in all situations.

Park

Last edited:

slukather

Sometimes the whole "the band is taking a different direction" "you aren't fitting in" talk doesn't sink in with some band members, and a lot of the time arguments break out, at times punches thrown.

I've found what works for me, when the band is formed, or a new member joins, let everyone know that if they don't pull their weight, they'll get x amount of warnings, if they don't change they are out, but give these warning with at a band meeting with all members there. If/when it comes time to get rid of that pesky band member, normally it involves me at a band meeting/practice (after the rest of the band agrees) just telling them to "you've had your warnings now get the funk out".

Scott.

Zotz

Years ago, we had a drummer who could not keep a beat and we wanted someone else. We "broke up" the band, and when we got back together with the new drummer, we had a different name.

Actually I was looking for a more mature way to handle this. :eek:

bazxkr

Shame Ritchie Blackmore not on this forum as he gotta be one of the past masters at removing people from a band. He should write a book on it & us mere mortals can learn.

Gotta be hard in a hard business I guess :eek:

Cheers
Baz

Top Bottom