• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

What is your favourite fretboard wood?

• Total voters

Grand Wazoo

I am not sure if a similar thread/poll has been done before, but being a newbie I have done a bit of a search and not found anything similar.

I am interested to see what the majority of bass players here prefer, no matter what EBMM bass we choose, whether a Bongo, StingRay, Sterling or Sub, we are all all faced with the very important choice of fretboard wood before we sign our life away. I know a few of you are rich enough to be able afford one of each, please vote which fretboard you prefer and tell us why.

I will start, maple all the way for me. The reason? well to me its brighter, and more tonally dramatic than rosewood. I have even owned a maple fretless bass (triple coated with lacquer) and the result was amazing

Aussie Mark

I love ebony for it's feel (especially on a fretless), but currently don't have any basses in the herd with ebony boards. Rosewood is my second preference. But I also have a couple of maple boards too. I guess I'm just a fretboard whore.

fly

all my basses and guitars sport rosewood............but i'm dying for a maple board.........

so i can't poll as of yet.

.......need more time,and money too

RobertB

Ebony, because it's even brighter/attackier than Maple, and looks great. Food for thought: BP used it on the BFR 20th SR5.

mntngrown

Keep a dummy informed or you honest?

I don't see how it matters except for fretless? Let's say I put my index finger down on the "A" posistion of the E string, thereby causing that string to vibrate in the described eliptical pattern from said fret to the bridge saddle. Does the string react any differently due to the fact my index is pushing it down to said varietal species board BEHIND that fret? It's like the "string through body " arguement.
Is there any influence outside point A and point B. Once the string breaks or terminates at the bridge saddle does it matter if it continues through the body.
Go Ahead, I'm not thin skinned. Prove to me I'm thick skulled.

Russel

I like them all for different reasons.

I like rosewood for the way it feels. Looks nice, too.

I like maple for the attackityness. Also feels good and looks nice.

I like Pao Ferro because of the nice feel, but I'll admit to a lack of experience there.

And Ebony feels different but very nice as well, not to mention it looks great.

I shure do like feelin' on some basses, don't I? :)

^That sentence needs a buck-tooth smiley.^

I guess I can't decide.

ronnyG

I don't see how it matters except for fretless? Let's say I put my index finger down on the "A" posistion of the E string, thereby causing that string to vibrate in the described eliptical pattern from said fret to the bridge saddle. Does the string react any differently due to the fact my index is pushing it down to said varietal species board BEHIND that fret? It's like the "string through body " arguement.
Is there any influence outside point A and point B. Once the string breaks or terminates at the bridge saddle does it matter if it continues through the body.
Go Ahead, I'm not thin skinned. Prove to me I'm thick skulled.

Well not here to prove anyone wrong..and you make a valid point...IF...it were not for the fact that the type of materials and woods used for the neck, body and fingerboard all contribute to the overall tone..and many will say "feel" as well.

As far as "string through" I am a STAUNCH believer that it sounds better. Think about it...if the tone comes from the woods...then if the strings are making direct contact with wood..it then by all physics and common sense should have an effect, however small or large..and to my ear it does..I prefer it..but..it is not my main deciding factor when purchasing a bass..the whole bass is..how it sounds..feels..plays..tonal variations and cost, of course.

Now although on a non string through bass the string is really never in direct contact with anything but the fret and saddle/seat when you play it... you can bet your bottom dollar the fretboard is effecting the tone (remember vibrations travel..even if not in direct contact with the "described eliptical pattern" as you so aptly put it) as well as neck and body..your point about the fretless IMO is however correct in the sense that the tonal differences are more dramatic..and this may be due to the direct contact of string to fingerboard. All assumptions mind you, I am no instrument physicist...but I feel pretty secure that my ears don't lie.

Last edited:

kylierider

MAPLE= attack attack attack!!!

when you play loud you need to cut through the muck..you bring a maple board with you.

I feel this way about all other brand basses except Music Man. MM basses seem to cut through anything anyway. Thats what I like about them!!

I voted rosewood because I like the look and it feels good under me fingers.

RobertB

Does the string react any differently due to the fact my index is pushing it down to said varietal species board BEHIND that fret?

It's a tired and well-worn discussion here, but in short, yes. Just use your ears or an O-scope to prove it to yourself.

Grand Wazoo

It's a very interesting result, so far and thank you very much to all that have voted on this poll.

I'd love to hear also what is BP's preference on fretboards, will he be a maple or a rosewood man? Place your bets lol :D

$20 says he is a maple man

Top Bottom